• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Side Effects from Prednisone

Help! So worried about my 77 year old mother. Prednisone was prescribed by her doctor when it should not have been. Not to be taken with anyone with shingles, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. She took 6 pills the first day as prescribed, 5 the second and had a severe reaction. She was hospitalized for two days and had to have a heart catheterization. It has been over a year and because the drug was immediately stopped by hospital staff, she has many side effects. She has welts that appear on her skin and scalp, pain & pressure on the top of her head, headaches, sort joints, and confusion. I realize she is 77, but these symptoms are new. The doctor said there was nothing that can be done. She feels like she is dying. What do we do?

afidz

Super Moderator
I honestly don't have any advice. Just wanted to let you know that I m listening

Angrybird

I would not have thought that stopping the pred after two days would have caused this many problems. Some folk only go on a 5-7day course, what was she given it for? Are the docs definetly sure these symptoms are down to this med? Have they checked her adrenal glands to see if these are working properly?

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome.

I agree with AngryBird, I don't think the symptoms she's experiencing are due to the Prednisone.

I'm sorry your mom is having so much trouble though, that must be so hard on her and you as well :(

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Welcome to the forum DianaR,
Worrying about a family member is awful, especially when you feel as if the physicians are not helping.
Are the "welts" she is experiencing due to the Shingles? And she is in a great deal of pain due to the Shingles?

I always get angry when a doctor says there is nothing that can be done. Have you seen another doctor to get a second opinion?

Help! So worried about my 77 year old mother. Prednisone was prescribed by her doctor when it should not have been. Not to be taken with anyone with shingles, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. She took 6 pills the first day as prescribed, 5 the second and had a severe reaction. She was hospitalized for two days and had to have a heart catheterization. It has been over a year and because the drug was immediately stopped by hospital staff, she has many side effects. She has welts that appear on her skin and scalp, pain & pressure on the top of her head, headaches, sort joints, and confusion. I realize she is 77, but these symptoms are new. The doctor said there was nothing that can be done. She feels like she is dying. What do we do?
There should be a age limit on predisone I hate that crap. Makes you eat more turns your face red for some people and not good at all for your body long term. I wish you luck but the doctors should be figuring this out based on your mothers condition. If they are not get a new doctor ASAP.