• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly Diagnosed and nervous

Hi,

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis on 10/30/12. Colonoscopy done on 10/8/12 which revealed entire colon to be inflamed.

I have always had digestive issues since I was a kid but they seemed to have gotten worse in the last 5 years. I had my gall bladder removed at the peak of my issues and after a trip to Mexico and developing a bug which turned into SIBO (small intestinal bacterial over growth), it just seemed to go downhill.

After receiving my preliminary results of the colonoscopy, was immediately put on Apriso. Coincidence or side effect, I'm not sure, but I developed a really bad cold. A few days later, the severe abdominal pain came. I was put on 40mg prednisone and was told to taper down 10mg every 7 days. Shortly after, I developed a really bad cough (told it was from prednisone), joint pain, neck pain, and a swollen tongue. Back to the doctor, more blood work, and stopped Apriso. Waiting the blood work results to see what meds they will try next.

I'm just in disbelief and am scared. I've always lead a healthy lifestyle, vegetarian for 20 years, had digestive issues, yes....but this? :( Even my hypochondriac mind didn't come up with this.

My heart goes out to those affected by IBD, IBS, etc.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. It is a great place to share info and be heard by others going through some of the same things. I am sorry you are having to deal with this. It almost sounds like an allergic reaction and it has sent everything into inflammation overdrive. I hope you find some answers and feel better soon. :rosette1:

Thank you and it is definitely good to be here and not alone. I know few people who have been diagnosed with UC or Crohn's and hope to gain some insight and education.

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Welcome to the forum Jenstl,
I am sorry you have received the UC diagnosis. Fortunately though, you have received a diagnosis! A proper diagnosis offers a better chance for effective treatment. I hope this is what you find.

Crohnsforum is here for you. I hope we are able to help. Even if you just need to vent. Please check out our Ulcerative Colitis forum.
Ulcerative Colitis Forum

Welcome.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
Hello jenstl. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis...I too have UC (Pancolitis) and while I am new to the forum, I am not new to the disease (had it for 10+ years)

Just know that things will get better with treatment and be open minded about alternative methods. I took just about every drug out there for UC and nothing worked until I went the alternative route. Prednisone took a severe toll on my joints while I was on it, but it got much better after I stopped using it. The side effects you are experiencing are very real, but they will mostly go away (I say this as a fellow hypochondriac)

Crohns and Colitis can take you for a roller coaster ride physically and emotionally. I've only been here on the forum for a short time, but just knowing I can come here and vent about issues that most people don't understand helps a lot. Crohns and Colitis are both misunderstood by a large percentage of the population IMO.

I hope you can find a good treatment plan so you can live life to the fullest once again.:thumright:

Thanks for the comment. I'm glad my cousin told me about this forum. It's great talking to people who can relate or understand. I keep hearing about regardless of UC or Crohn's, you can live a "full life." Looking forward to that!

I'm not sure if it was the Apriso or the prednisone, but I had a glimpse of arthritis feels like. I could barely stand because the joints in my knees were inflamed. Here's hoping to a new option this week that will work for me.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
Thanks for the comment. I'm glad my cousin told me about this forum. It's great talking to people who can relate or understand. I keep hearing about regardless of UC or Crohn's, you can live a "full life." Looking forward to that!

I'm not sure if it was the Apriso or the prednisone, but I had a glimpse of arthritis feels like. I could barely stand because the joints in my knees were inflamed. Here's hoping to a new option this week that will work for me.
I'm sure it was the prednisone....I took it for an extended period of time experienced severe knee and other joint pain. I don't want to scare you, but prednisone definitely gave me permanent joint issues. They were far worse when I was on the drug, but they still linger till this day.

Anyways...good luck with your treatment. Wishing you the best.

David

Co-Founder
Hey there Jen and welcome to the community.

I know what you mean about being really healthy and then coming down with IBD. It just doesn't make sense in our heads. :(

We're here for you anytime you need us.