• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Diagnosis

I was just diagnosed with Crohn’s disease. I'd been battling a bad case of C. diff for a month (vancomycin kicked it after 2 rounds) and was sick for a few months (undiagnosed) before that. I’ve never felt so much pain, so weak, so sick as I have these last few months.

My doc started me on Lialda & expensive probiotics earlier in the week and just added 40mg prednisone and azathioprine on Friday. Predisone. I hear it's horror. I ordered _Coping with Prednisone_ and _Sick and Tired of Feeling Sick and Tired_ already.

Lately, I’ve been mostly scared—and in a lot of pain. Right now, I’m mad—and in a lot of pain. Why mad? I’m mad because I already can’t afford my current medical bills, and now I’m in for weekly doctor visits and tests. I’m mad because I lost everything in the recent divorce I didn't want and have no cushion anymore and am facing an expensive illness. I’m mad because everything I’ve known about eating well (vegetarian for 30+ years, vegan for 1.5) will now backfire on this damn body. I’m mad because I now have to eat basically white, refined foods that I’ve never liked. I’m mad because, as a friend “jokingly” told me this week, “you were more fun before you got sick”—and while I know it’s objectively true, it hurts to hear and know. I’m mad because all of my other friends keep offering to help, and I can’t think of anything that will help—other than help me handle work, which just makes me feel guilty because everyone is already so busy. I’m mad because after a death threat from a former student, a divorce, two car wrecks, and C. diff, I want a cosmic break. I’m mad because I believe in optimism and happiness and love, and I don’t understand. I’m mad because I felt great and was training for a half-marathon (sponsored by Crohn’s Foundation) and got really sick the week before so I couldn’t do it, and now I’ve lost so much strength and stamina and muscle that I can’t even open drink containers and am now facing a unhealthy diet and weight gain from the meds. I’m mad because, just as we head into cold and flu season, I’m about to get even more susceptible to infections and getting sick and apparently need to live in a bubble. I’m mad because I see my pharmacist more often than I see any of my friends or even colleagues. I’m mad because I never drank, did drugs, smoked, ate meat, etc., and my body is attacking itself anyway. I’m mad because I’ve felt sick for so damn long and I just want to not be in pain or even discomfort, for just a little while.

Just let me be mad for a little while. I’ll get past it. I’ll soon start doing lots of research and looking into the local support groups and nutritionists and all of the people who “manage” it just fine.

But right now, I’m mad. Let me be. I don’t want to joke about it. I don’t want advice (yet). I don’t care that I finally have answers (I didn’t want this answer). I’m just mad.

How often have I heard of someone with Crohn’s and thought it was just like a sensitive stomach with lots of digestive issues. Karma is a bitch.

Astra

Hiya Chick
and welcome

Just know that we're all here for you now, we know how you're feeling, been there, done that!
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hi Chick,

I'm feeling very much the same way right now. I was recently diagnosed in the last 2 weeks, and am just so frustrated with the pain, discomfort, extreme fatigue, and overall feeling of being unwell. After having symptoms for 2 years and getting them under control, finishing graduate school with a great academic record, and landing an amazing job, I was really starting to think I had conquered this. I was making plans to buy a house, find a girl & possibly get married, learn about investments and start early with retirement investing, and so much more. Then I got sick. Now all of those things are so far removed from my thoughts, it feels like a lifetime ago, even though it's only been a few weeks. All I can think about is how to survive the next few months. I've lost my excitement for work and basically everything else, and just want to lock myself away in my room all day. But then I'll lose my job and have no money or health insurance, and now that I've got a pre-existing condition, will not be able to get health insurance again (if I lose my current plan). So it's all blah.

Point of my rant: I understand, and completely empathize with your anger.

When you feel ready for advice, there's a lot of great resources on this forum that can help you in terms of treatment, diet, support, etc.

All my best to you. Keep us updated on your story.

Mo

Ditto. Excellent rant from the heart. I miss my (mostly) vegetarian lifestyle too. The 40 mg of prednisone helped me feel human for a while both times I was on it with minimal side effects and better energy. Hang in there, you are preaching to the choir here and we feel your pain.

Cant Remember,
Call it vanity or call it finally success from recent 1/2-marathon training, but I've finally lost weight and gotten into great shape (though lost about 15 more pounds and too much muscle because of sickness, so I have wiggle room), but I've been told that I'm going to puff up on prednisone. 40mg dosage at about 165 pounds right now? Can I prevent that at all? I was finally FINALLY feeling good about my body (the running, the health from vegan), and I dread losing such control like this--aside from even the digestive issues.

Everyone responds to Prednisone so differently, it's impossible to say, but weight gain isn't a done deal. I did not have super hunger / weight gain, just a little "edgy" and some puffiness in my face. Meanwhile, stopped the inflammation symptoms, let me get a good night's sleep for a change, stopped drifting off to sleep on the sofa as soon as I sat down in the evening. It's not a long term fix because of the potential long term effects, but they prescribe it because it can really help in a flare situation.

The diet changes and exercise will be a longer puzzle. But if you had the fortitude to train for a half-marathon then I expect you will rally and continue to fight for the quality of life possible. Just recognize that anger is a real, and valid, response to an illness like ours. Like some other "embarrassing" conditions, I think "the public" doesn't know what all we are going through (and who wants to explain it to them!). ;-)

P.S. one my oldest and best friends is a longtime vegan, and I feel so guilty posting my food experiments on Facebook. Meat is now my friend and can't do salads or legumes anymore.