• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mild form of Crohn's

Dear everybody,

My name is John and I am 38 years old.

In late last year I decided to loose some weight and with the help of a dietist I started to begin the day with oats and milk in the morning. I also started to scale back on the carbs in all meals. Otherwise I have eaten quite normal for me i.e. just about everything.

In the beginning of the year I noticed that a once in a while had som bright red blood in the stool which often where quite loose but not always. The looseness did not get my attention though maybe because it has, perhaps, been like that for a while making it for me normal or I just did not take any notice of it before. I cannot remember...

In any case, the blood which seem to come late in the bowl release process. I did experience painlessly that something broke perhaps in the anus part (sorry about the graphics here). After a while I went to the doctor who really could not find anything wrong with me and the values for B12, calprotektin were fine. I have never had any abdominal pains, perhaps slight bloating but nothing that I though was unusual. It can bowl movements once every other day typically.

I did have a very traumatic thing happing in my personal life 2,5 years ago which has been a source of anxiety and stress and I do have a stressful jobb sometimes.

Now I do have some relatives with Crohn's. My sister had severe Crohn's 20 years back (when she was 22) and had to eventually surgically remove her large intestine. My mother has also been been diagnosed with Crohn's and have had a milder form of it for a couple of years now.

The obvious genetic component here made me ask for further tests and a colonscopy were performed because I was insisting. The colonscopy showed at first nothing but showed further up some signs of mild form of Crohn's. I then got all kinds of tests done, which results are not in yet, and I am going to the scan for the small intestine as well quite soon.

Now I got a little bit scared which I guess everybody gets when getting this bad news.

The good thing is that it is mild, the bad thing is my family history. The other good thing is that there seem to be a wealth of knowledge from Crohn's suffers what to use and not to use when it comes to medicine, foods, supplements and exercise. The bad thing is that doctors are very stuck in their western ways it seems like.

I am myself a researcher and have been doing cancer medical research. I have a background in biochemistry, functional foods, physiology, immunology and molecular biology. Needless to say I do think I should have some insight into the subject even though I have not been studying Crohn's specifically.

What I have starting doing is to read a lot about different dietary changes. This involve increasing such things as they are either antiinflammatory or even proven TNF blockers: coconut oil/milk, cannabis (cannabidiol), vitamin D, omega 3, ispagula husk (?), aloe vera, nettle leafs, spc flakes (protein AF inducing), Magiform (protein AF inducing), probiotics, Se, Zn, L-glutamine, curcumin, colostrum, green tea extracts, bromelain, bosweilia extracts, licorice extracts, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), cat's claw. What to avoid is carbs in general especially grains and perhaps milk even though I no not think I am intolerant to milk... I am north European and it is not that common to be here and none of my family that I now is.

It would be great hearing about other peoples experience with these different agents. Which ones work and which does not?

Cheers,

John

Angrybird

Hello John and welcome to the forum :)

I myself do not have a lot of experience in this area - I tend to flare up even when on no food at all and on the liquid shakes, we do however have a diet and fitness forum that is worth checking out as I know plenty of other folks here like to look into alternative ways to treat their crohn's: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17. One thing I would advise is still keep in regular contact with your GI and let them know what you are doing so they can still keep and eye on disease activity. I take it at the moment that no meds have been prescribed for you?

AB
xx

Thank you Angrybird!

No meds so far and I do want to avoid it. It seems a little bit unreal for me having very little symptoms (so far) I have to admit but I do take it seriously considering my sisters/mothers condition.

I did see the doctors plan i.e. to put me on thiopurins. Maybe I worrying a little to much to soon. I never really had any flare where I been ill. The only thing is the loose stool with some occasional blood in it.

John

Angrybird

It is definetly worth getting as educated as you can, if you really want to avoid meds, one thing to look into initially may be enteral nutrition. I have seen here that it can be as good as inducing remission as meds like steroids without the side effects.....

Catherine

Welcome

You will be able to make more in form decision after the scan as there maybe disease activity further up.

All the best with whatever you decide.

David

Co-Founder
Hey there John and welcome to the community!

Wow, with your background I have no doubt you're going to end up a great asset to the Crohn's Community! PLEASE stick around and share your knowledge with us as you continue to learn and we'll do everything we can to help you as well.

Most of what you mentioned has been discussed here from time to time. To start you off, here's a thread where we discuss medical marijuana.

Again, welcome! :)

What I have starting doing is to read a lot about different dietary changes. This involve increasing such things as they are either antiinflammatory or even proven TNF blockers: coconut oil/milk, cannabis (cannabidiol), vitamin D, omega 3, ispagula husk (?), aloe vera, nettle leafs, spc flakes (protein AF inducing), Magiform (protein AF inducing), probiotics, Se, Zn, L-glutamine, curcumin, colostrum, green tea extracts, bromelain, bosweilia extracts, licorice extracts, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), cat's claw.
Great start took me years to figure this out by myself, just relax nothing changes even if you are diagnosed, the sun rises and sets and life goes on, you just change.

My son is on cannabis for his crohn's. He says it helps easy off the flare ups and trips to the bathroom. He also said it has helped stop the "sick" feeling he got after taking his meds.