• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introduction -- My Child has Crohn's

Hi all,

I'm Lisa, and I stumbled on this forum doing a search for dental issues (plaque) and Crohn's Disease.

My just-turned 8 year old daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease 6 years ago, so it's all she's ever known. Overall she has been very fortunate....an on-the-ball pediatrician referring us quickly to a ped GI, and a quick diagnosis (from onset of recognized symptoms to diagnosis was roughly 4 months), plus having only 2 flares requiring a change in meds. Oh, and MIC-KEY for nutritional support due to failure to thrive diagnosed about 2 years ago. Things could be far worse :)

Anyway, she's having some dental issues popping up that I'm just now recognizing as possibly being related to IBD. I joined so I could read, and offer any support/info I can to others!

Thanks, and I look forward to knowing you guys :)

Welcome to the forum! My son was just diagnosed this year so we are fairly new to this but there is some knowledgeable members here with loads of experience and compassion. You may want to check out the parents forum, they are a great group of people! I hope you find the answers relating to teeth that you are looking for it seems I have seen a couple of threads regarding this.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Do you know if your daughter's vitamin levels have ever been checked? If not it may be worth asking her doc to do a full check in this area for any deficiences. Also what meds has she been on previously and now?

Also as mentioned definetly check out our parents forum, there is a great bunch here to also have a chat with: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49.

AB
xx

Thank you for the welcome! I will definitely check out the parents' forum!

Clash, I definitely think that first year is the hardest (at least it was for us, so far). The learning curve is tough, the grieving for the "old normal" and not knowing what the future will bring.....yeah, it's hard.

Hi Angrybird, she had a ton of labs done this summer when she was hospitalized for mono, but I really don't know if a full vitamin count was done. I will find out :).

She is on Pentasa (has been on it almost since Day 1) and 6mp, along with Miralax for the ongoing constipation.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Lisa and welcome to the community! I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter though :(

What specific symptoms is she experiencing with her teeth?

As long as you've been at this now, I have no doubt you have a lot of knowledge to share with the community. Please do! And hopefully we can return the favor. :)

All my best to you and your entire family.

*edit* -- Don't worry about the teeth question, I see you posted about it in the parents forum.

Hi David, and thanks for the welcome!

I don't know how much knowledge I really have to share...this disease is so individualized that one size barely fits one, LOL!
lisa :)