• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Are setons infectious?

hi there i am new to the forum. I have been suffering from chronic multiple fistulae for about 5-6yrs now. I have had 16 surgical procedures & 2 colonoscopies done in this time, all under GA. I have settons which go from my bum cheek & into to my anus, and are currently stil there, my most recent surgery was done in march 2012 my 1st was performed april 2008. Can someone please help me to understand this condition and why it has not gone away yet? Im beginning to think my colorectal team here in sydney, are using me as a guinee pig? I have just read a couple of other interesting stories which i feel i can relate too. I am sick and tired of having to wear dressings every single day for the past 6 yrs which has costed me hundreds maybe thousands of dollars, not only has it affected my pyschological well being, but it really affects my back as i have had to sit with a LEAN to the side to reduce pressure on my bum. I am feeling very inadequate and have had to throw my job in due to continuous days off caused by either pain or discomfort. Does anyone have a success story that could shed some light on my situation? I dont have CD or IBS. What the hell is it then? food? :frown:

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have not has any experience with fistula's myself so could not advise but we do have a sub forum for these that is definetly worth checking out to get some helpful info: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76. Out of interest what tests have the docs done to definetly rule out crohn's? Do you get any other symptoms tummy wise? Have you been given any medication at all?

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi Jay, welcome to the community.

Let me get this straight. You have multiple fistulas but they haven't been able to figure out what is causing them? Have they tested you for Tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, Syphilis, Chlamydia, and Gonorrhea? I ask because those are other causes of fistula besides IBD.