• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Professional Patient

I am new to this forum, but excited to share what I have learned from this disease and to hear your words of wisdom and support. I was originally diagnosed with UC back in 1994 and it was changed to Crohn's Disease in 2005. In all that time, I have never been in remission. I have a very severe form of this disease. My doctors even call me an anomaly. I have endured every medication they have for this disease. I have also had 7 surgeries and now have an ileostomy. Right now we are trying combinations of drugs. I currently take Humira, Methotrextate and Cipro.( I hate predisone and will only take it if absolutely necessary) As if that weren't enough I also have other illnesses that complicate everything. I have a blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden. That caused me to have 7 PE's after I recieved a Mediport, so now I take a blood thinner injection daily. You can imagine what that does to my blood count when my Crohns is really active. I lost my son, Jaxon, at 28 weeks of pregnancy with no answers as to why. So put that all together and you can imagine my bouts of anxiety and depression. Through all of that I am still standing. I have a wonderful, supportive husband, family and friends. Also, my faith helps me to endure one day at a time. I know I shared a mouthful, but what gives me purpose is to know that maybe my experience could help others. I am grateful to find a site that can allow all of us to share and support. Hugs!!

SarahBear

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I'm really sorry you've been through so much. :( I don't have any advice to help you, but I just wanted to say I really hope things get better for you soon!

Jessi

Hello and welcome to the forum. :hug:

I am so sorry about your sweet angel Jaxon. I hope that you are able to find comfort in knowing that we're all here for you. :kiss:

Welcome! I'm sorry you've never been in remission, I hope that things will change for you in the future. Professional patient is a great name! Haha!

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. I'm sorry you've been through so much :( I'm glad you found your way here though!

I'm paging our Science Advisor and genetic guru, Judith to see if she may have come across anything regarding Factor V Leiden thrombophilia and Crohn's Disease from a genetic standpoint that may in some way be beneficial since there is an increased prevalence. Judith, Factor V Leiden seems to be implicated with the F5 gene. Any overlap?

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Welcome to Crohnsforum Profpatient. I am so sorry you are having these health issues. But am so happy you have decided to joined us. I know you will be a great asset to the site.

Unfortunately, as David mentioned, there is a link between IBD and Factor V Leiden. The Chronic Inflammation seen in IBD can exacerbate the risk of veinous Blood Clots seen in persons with Factor V Leiden. I have started a wiki page on it here [wiki]Factor V Leiden[/wiki]. Hopefully it might help others.

Welcome!