• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vitamin B12 symptoms?

I was diagnosed with crohn's disease when i was 8 years old. I am now 18, and its crazy to think ive had this disease for 10 years now. Ive battled severe crohn's flares off and on until 2009 when i had surgery and had a colostomy put it for 6 months along with 2 inches of my large intestines removed. After 6 months, i had 6 more inches removed and had an amazing miracle happen. I was told that the colostomy couldnt be removed and that i had no healthy intestines to piece back together. Somehow the Lord blessed me and my surgeon found a tiny piece to put back together with. I was crohn's free until this past march and have battled severe contispation with no answers, im finally getting tests done in december to put an end to this problem.

I have b12 deficiency and have to do monthly injections of 2000 mg.

But my question is when anyone elses b12 becomes low, do they suffer from symptoms such as upper stomach pain, nausea, and/or swelling of the left side? I always worry and since i know alot about crohn's, this has me wondering if its just from my b12 being low at the time.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I also have to have B12 shots but only notice leading up to one that I get very tired again and a bit headachy. Have the docs tested your levels at all recently? Just to confirm are you on any meds for your crohns at the moment? Have you been given anything to help with the constipation? Your symptoms do sound more like a flare to me and potentially a blockage. What tests have you got booked for December?

AB
xx

I was diagnosed years ago with pernicious anemia and had extremely low B12 levels. I did not have the symptoms you describe except for the nausea which I am not sure was caused by the low B12.

Are you currently on any meds for the Crohns?

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to the community!

When you say, "Swelling on the left side" is it more of a bloated type of swelling, something hard, is it painful, and where in proximity to your belly button is it?

All my best to you.