• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New

Hey,
My name is Heather. Here is my story. I had been having trouble for many,many years. All symptoms had been dismissed as irritable bowel syndrome or spastic colon. I could not eat with outgoing to the bathroom immediately after eating. Finally I had some bad blood work and some unexplained weight loss. The doctors finally sent me for a colonoscopy. Which came back with Crohn's disease.. I was glad to finally know that I was not crazy and something was wrong. I was diagnosed January 2011 and put on pentasa 8 pills a day. I have not been taking them like I'm suppose to and now I'm paying for it. As I sit and write this I believe I'm in the middle of a flare up. Can't eat scared I'll have to run to the bathroom. I am losing weight (which is nice but not like this). I have started back on my meds. It is really embarrassing to go out to eat or over to new friend's houses and eating. Because of having to run to the bathroom. I explain that I have Crohn's Everyone is understanding. But can ANYONE tell me if they have the same problem of having to run to the bathroom every time you start eating or have just finished.
Thank you for reading! I am glad I am not alone.
Heather

Welcome to the forum. It is a great place for support. I can say that I will only have to run to the bathroom immediately after eating only when I eat something that triggers that response for me such as dairy, or something spicy, both of which I don't eat anymore. Oh and coffee does that to me to. Have you tried going on a low residue diet or noticed if some foods make your reaction worse than others?

Angrybird

Hello Heather and welcome to the forum.

When I am flaring I can definetly have issues with having to run to the loo right after eating or during the meal which usually means I then can't bare to finish it. Have you seen your GI at all about the reoccurance of symptoms? Is it them who have got you re-started on the meds? The Pentesa is only usually used in mild cases so you might need something stronger to get the tum back to a settled state......

AB
xx

if i eat pinapple that happens to me. If you find something does irrate you then take it out your diet if possible.

Sods law its the stuff you love,

Hope it improves soon for you x

David

Co-Founder
Hi Heather and welcome to the community :) I'm so sorry to hear that you're in a flare, that's rough :( My suggestion would be to go back to your GI to be evaluated for a stronger medication. I realize you weren't taking your Pentasa, but it's very entry level and its efficacy in Crohn's is not well substantiated.

Regardless, I'm glad you joined. We're here for you anytime you need us and I hope you feel better soon!

I am going to call him this week. But it is hard to take 8 pills a day. Thank y'all for this forum. Like I said before it is good to know other people have the same problem as me. You know when I went to him the first time he told me that he didn't know why I would have to go to the bathroom so quick after eating or whie eating. I thought I was crazy. But one I can say is that my family and friends are very supportive. Again thank y'all for being here.