• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Will I ever feel normal again

Lol. I was doing the same thing! I kept asking my hubby and parents if they could hear it when they were visiting. Most of the time they don't to my disapointment.

I was so excited when mine first started getting active. I was constantly asking "Did you hear that?"

You probably will empty A LOT for the first month or so, but it will slow down. Your doctor may put you on meds to slow it down if it is too active. Also, you will find out which foods help thicken it up and/or slow it down too.

Ditto. I bet it will get less noisy too. Even though your body isn't taking in food yet, it's still producing "liquid stuff" in your digestive track and the noises aren't muffled by the food you just ate. Even with all this, once you start eating again you will feel much better!

I'm very excited and nervous for food all at the same time! I'm thrilled for it to not be coming out my sore bum though!

What you talking about i always hear it. It sounded like your underwater farts. Lol

I made her get up tonight so i could change the bedding for her. And i guess she is getting broth now so hopefully we will see more progression over the next few days and we can have a xmas at home. If not i guess we will have to do it over video chat

Its interesting, none of my nurses know what setons are. I'm educating them and then they want to look at them. Oh what fun!

Hahaha! Just when you thought your days of everybody needing to see your butt were put on hold!

During my hospital stay, one of the night nurses that was *very* skilled in stoma care, actually DIDN'T KNOW WHAT ULCERATIVE COLITIS WAS!?!?!

Wow! That's nuts. That's what happens when you have surgery at a hospital that doesn't have a dedicate bowel department I guess.

Hahaha! Just when you thought your days of everybody needing to see your butt were put on hold!

During my hospital stay, one of the night nurses that was *very* skilled in stoma care, actually DIDN'T KNOW WHAT ULCERATIVE COLITIS WAS!?!?!

Nope there will ALWAYS be at least one who wants to see your butt. About 8 years ago I was seeing a new doctor (my normal primary care doctor had retired). I gave him my history and told him I had a permanent ileostomy done over 10 years ago. Even with that knowledge, doc pulled out the rubber glove to do a prostate exam! Doc laughed when I politely pointed out that door is now closed. But it shows that old habits are hard to break sometimes. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Too funny! Ok. They need to slow my iv down or something now. I'm never gonna be able sleep tonight with all the peeing I'm having to do! Isn't the point of this surgery to save me going to the toilet so much!? Man, can't win! :p

Nyx

Too funny! Ok. They need to slow my iv down or something now. I'm never gonna be able sleep tonight with all the peeing I'm having to do! Isn't the point of this surgery to save me going to the toilet so much!? Man, can't win! :p
I hate to break it to you, but as soon as they took my catheter out and before I started on solid food, I was peeing every hour on the hour....it was sort of hellish (I had 2 IV poles at the time) but it was good at the same time...as as everyone has said, walking is a good thing...

Great to hear you are up, catheter out and you are having your first food stuffs. Even if they are only liquid. the peeing thing is a nightmare, I'm sure they do the fluids just so you have to get up and moving. I can remember the first time that i had to get myself to the toilet for a pee. Pre Miss Piggy I would be up all night post surgery with the big D, so never noticed the peeing thing, was a rude shock when i didnt have to worry about big D as i no longer had a butt, but instead was being dragged from bed because i needed to pee.

I know what you mean about nurses not knowing about setons. There have been times when I have been checking into the ward pre surgery when nurses have assumed that by fistula, I must have had renal problems and had a fistula for dialysis in my arm. When i had to explain what it was they were very embarrased. You cn always tell who the experienced colorectal nurses are.

Thinking about you and hoping that you are getting more comfortable and confident. I also hope that you are able to make it out for christmas, but if not there is video chat, and even better you can have a great christmas next year where you can sit without a sore butt and you can eat all you desire.
Jano

That's pretty much how I'm taking it jano. Slow and steady wins the race! My family is great and we will work around this. I get to have a visit from my son today that will greatly boost my moral. Dr is back to hoping I can get out Monday though. I'm cautious about this because I know I'm coming into the healing part where we can have set backs. Coming off pain pump, starting the solid food, hopefully I won't push it to hard and get nauseous like with my last major abdominal surgery.
I'm also nervous since I haven't had a bag change yet and seems to be lots of tape stuck over my incision sight that I don't want to pull on.
As for naming my stoma even though I don't know her that we'll yet she is female and I'm thinking she will be Audrey after the man eating plant in little shop of horrors. It just seems appropriate. I can picture her saying in a deep throaty voice "feed me seymour, feed me!":D

Is it too soon to put on my own pjs? I'll need help to get it over ivs and stuff of course. But now that I'm getting up it I'd like to not be manuvering too big hospital gown and pants

Amy,

I put on my own gown on the second day. Those hospital gowns are way too big and uncomfortable. The gowns I brought simply zipped in the front so the were super easy and doctors still had accessed needed. As long as your pajamas are comfortable, no very tight and doesn't limit the doctors from examining you, I don't see a problem.

I'm so very thrilled! I just got real food! Cornflakes, a muffin, milk and cheese and apple juice! If only there had been tea, it would have been perfect.
Now just hoping it knows to go down and not come back up. Fingers crossed!

Well now I'm sitting here crying like an idiot cuz I just had another of my nightmare bum fistula poos that I wasn't expecting and didnt feel I could clean properly. I feel awful now and gross. I kind of thought that was over and I wouldn't have to deal with both messes at the same time. I was looking forward to just learning how to do the stoma thing but I guess I still have to deal with my other problems. How depressing.

Terriernut

I'm no expert mind you...but I would think for the next week it's possible if not probable to have this. I can tell you no one told ME to expect to poo from the back after my surgery. However, there was still waste there in the back end and remaining colon. So poo I did! And I was shocked!

I thought "great..my luck, outta two ends I now have to go!?" But no, it eased off after about a week and a half. Let's hope that happens for you!

I really hope so. I just had it pour out my vaginal fistula now. I just wasn't prepared for the ammount. I that there might be bit of waste left but that was a ton twice in a row.

Nyx

I wasn't warned about the possibility of having a poo out the other end either and I was shocked when it happened too! But like Misty said, it stopped after about a week...and stuff stopped coming out of my recto-vaginal fistula after about that time too.

I wasn't warned either until they stuck a camera thing up there to clean me out:/ believe it wasn't nice. I wished they had told me before hand. I didn't even have the feeling to go when they done that! it was a shock but it does wear off but I still get it now until I get the rest removed:(:( hope your ok and getting there just rest and take it easy

Holy set back batman! I'm off my pain pump and on solids and now I'm sweating and nauseous and in pain. This not cool. And now all of a sudden its impossible to get a nurse to pay attention to me. I can barely get up to pee now. I'm in so much pain and its pulling so bad.

annawato

Staff member
Nita, I can't believe you were only in hospital for 4 days. I was still in agony a week after surgery although by day 8 I felt a lot better. I think It was because of trapped wind and also an infection which appeared a week later when the incision burst open. I'd been having fevers and they did chest xrays and blood cultures etc etc. All along I was telling them it was something to do with the incision but they said no it looks fine. Surgeons! They never listen.
Did you still have a lot of pain when you got home or was it all under control? And were you feeling confident about looking after stella? I remember my first resection I was home within a week - I guess I was a bit younger then and it wasn't as complex as this surgery but still 4 days, I'm amazed.
I'm struggling with leakages too, something I've found that helps is using the cardboard tube inside a toilet roll to press down around the stoma to get a nice seal over the paste or rings. Also if your stoma doesn't protrude too much you much find that a convex bag helps. In Australia all the companies will send out samples so its worth ringing them because they are really helpful in trying to solve your problem. As you say it may be because of the incision, fingers crossed the problem will be solved once it heals.

annawato

Staff member
Amy, so glad to hear you're over the worst of it. How are you coping with Stella? Is there a good stoma therapy nurse to help?
Great that your stella is working properly, are they letting you eat solid food yet? The thing I missed most was a cup of tea with milk, followed by a sandwich - which was the most appetising thing on the menu. :)
Anyway, enjoy the drugs and the rest in hospital. Do you think you will be home for christmas?

Annawato. U must have missed my above post hwere I said I'm afternoon was awful. Lol. Feeling a little better now mind you. And I've decided to call my stoma Audrey after the man eating plant in little shop of horrors.
Ya I have no idea how you did it nita! You are super human! I clearly am not near going home. Tomorrow is my day for and I'm just going to have to try solid food again.

annawato

Staff member
Sorry Amy and everyone, Yes I did miss 2 whole pages! So my posts are just slightly behind times. haha.
Amy its always hard when the pain meds stop and I had a lot of extra pain when food was introduced even though my stoma was working. So don't hurry out of hospital just to be home for christmas. its important youre feeling well and also confident in dealing with Audrey. See I got the name right this time. :)
Glad you're feeling a little better now and hopefully you'll be feeling even better tomorrow. Its amazing how quickly the body heals and what a difference just one day can make.
:heart: Anna

Yes I'm trying to regroup and tomorrow is another and hopefully a better day. I haven't started learning how to manage audrey yet. I was to busy running to the bathroom today. Its just so much to deal with at once. Feeling a bit overwhelmed. Oh well I'm a tough girl. I'll get through it.

annawato

Staff member
Just rereading the pages I missed...........and noticed earlier today you said you hadn't had a bag change yet, its important they show you how to do all this before you go home so get that squeaky wheel going and get the nurses to show you what to do. Have they ordered supplies for you for when you get home? Is there a stoma nurse there that can help?
Don't forget that any questions you have can probably be answered by all the experts here too so ask away if you need to. Even though i've had an ileo before i've learnt some useful things from everyone here, and if nothing else the support is amazing and makes you feel like you're not struggling alone.

There is a stoma nurse that comes in once a week I guess but no one seems to know what day. I haven't seen her yet. Its a bit frustrating. Like I feel like I'm in a place where no one really knows how to deal with me. I keep getting very young inexperienced nurses. No one even knows what setons are. Sigh. Its slightly chaotic really.

annawato

Staff member
Haha I think we were typing at the same time. Yes it is very overwhelming at first, not just Audrey but dealing with your fistulas as well though hopefully they will improve in the weeks to come. Even though we are tough enough to deal with what is thrown at us it doesn't mean its easy and is normal to find it upsetting and confronting. It does get much easier with time, so much so that you get to the point where you don't worry about being reversed or not because the stoma just becomes a part of life. In the meantime, learn what you can while you're in hospital and don't hurry out if you're not ready.
:heart: Anna

annawato

Staff member
It sounds like a nightmare. The first time I got a stoma it was a bit like that, the younger nurses didn't even seem to want to know about it.

Nope no hurry here! I'm getting pressure from my family about getting out for xmas. But its pretty low on my list of priorities right now. Its only one xmas in a life of xmases. No big deal.

Terriernut

That's the right attitide about xmas. You need to be ready to go home, and not have a set back. Anna was good at explaining things about being off the pain pump and on solids. It isnt always the easiest change.

But, it sounds like you are on the wrong ward! (then again, when I was in at this time of year 2010, I had the same problem, no staff!)

annawato

Staff member
Probably is the time of year but I think some hospitals just aren't geared up to dealing with stomas. They have one or two nurses "trained' as stn's but they're not necessarily on shift when you need them. This time I was at a big teaching hospital but on the wrong ward for the 1st week post op, then got transferred to the transplant ward for a week and finally to the colorectal ward for the last week. Theres such a shortage of private rooms which I need cos of bugs picked up in hospital that they fit me in where they could but I found it very upsetting being shifted around just as I got to know the nurses. Though mind you it was a blessing being transferred off the first ward. One of the male nurses was a real bastard and his attitude affected a lot of the younger staff - I was glad to be rid of them all because he was so nasty, and I'm not a difficult patient. hate to think what he was like with someone who was. Or maybe like all bullys thats what he needs, someone to call his bluff.

Holy set back batman! I'm off my pain pump and on solids and now I'm sweating and nauseous and in pain. This not cool. And now all of a sudden its impossible to get a nurse to pay attention to me. I can barely get up to pee now. I'm in so much pain and its pulling so bad.
Are you still on an IV drip of just fluids or has that been removed already? I wonder if you are beginning to get dehydrated. So sorry you are having to deal with this! You have the right attitude about it, though, and that will go a loooong way. Good on you!!! :kiss:

They only hook up my iv now for my anti Biotics twice a day. I'm feeling better now though. I'm getting dilaudid as an injection for pain and it helps A lot. Its an awful stingy needle though :(
I'm just going to try going even slower on breakfast today and drink more. I'm having lots and lots of liquid output from little Audrey and having no trouble peeing so if I was dehydrated I don't think I am now. Thanks again for all the support guys! I can't wait to be one of the experienced ones dowling out the advice to the newbies.

Glad to hear things are getting better. I likened the post op to having a baby. Get the baby blues, learn how to care for, feed and change the new edition and hopefully leave hospital feeling strong enough to be able to cope with the challenges along the way. I can tell you I still have some crappy days where I just want to cry, and do. But they are few and far between at the moment.

I do hope your infection heals and fistulas start behaving. Mine popped and carried on and like you it made me wonder why I'd had the op. hang in there your body is just sorting itself out.

Dehydration, where do I start, I find myself getting very testy and teary when I am dehydrated. So when I feel this way I check my tongue and skin tone, and usually I'm dehydrated so I have a sports drink and a rest. Usually does the trick.

Thinking of you
Jano

Glad to hear things are getting for you. I usually get a headache when I'm dehydrated then drink loads and it usually goes. Still take it easy your body is still adjusting. Take care

Ok sorry if this is tmi but its boggling to watch the variety of color and texture of out put! It was dark and mostly liquid, then it was completly liquid and thin light brown, green and now its chunky light brown! Who knew it would change so much so quickly! Once again sorry if that's way to much info. I'm pretty much spouting out all my crazy thoughts on here. Where else!

Don't worry, Amy, those of us with stomas are used to watching what comes out. :wink:

You can often see the demarcation line - that's lunch, hmm, and that must be the chocolate brownie that I had for afternoon tea. :ybiggrin:

Then there's the fright that you get the first time that you've been eating beetroot! I was certain that I must have been bleeding internally; it comes out looking just like blood. :ywow:

OMG, yes, the beetroot scare! I had only had 2 tiny slivers of beetroot and totally freaked out with what I thought was blood until I remembered what I had done.

I am now able to eat corn. That is hilarious to see coming back out! I call it the birthing of corn.

When you are a few months out and are eating more of your regular favorite foods, it is very interesting to see what comes out exactly as it went in. Lettuce, for example, looks exactly like lettuce, but has had all of the water squished out.

Also, chocolate anything, like chocolate meal replacement shakes, will make your output look scary black, but everything is still okay.

Had my bag changed today. A bit cringy because it was all stuck to my incision. It wasn't as bad as I thought though. And now ive graduated to dumping my bag into the toilet instead of a bowl at my bed. Nurse seemed pleased with the thickening up of my output too. So all said so far today has been good. Hopefully it stays that way!

Had my bag changed today. A bit cringy because it was all stuck to my incision. It wasn't as bad as I thought though. And now ive graduated to dumping my bag into the toilet instead of a bowl at my bed. Nurse seemed pleased with the thickening up of my output too. So all said so far today has been good. Hopefully it stays that way!

Welcome to the club!

It's all shitz and giggles from here on. :ybiggrin:

annawato

Staff member
Yes we definitiely all watch what comes out. Had the beetroot scare myself. The green is usually bile. As to birthing corn, great analogy cos you can actually feel it coming out sometimes. Not painful like birth though. I know the stoma is meant to have no nerve endings but I definitely feel certain things, like corn and sometimes wind, come out! Feels all tickly. :)

Amy,

Don't feel bad. I also pooped the other way twice so far. It's very annoying. I thought having the bag meant no more other poops. Talked to my surgeon and that's not the case! You will be fine. Sometimes crying cleans the soul. I want to cry everytime this thing leaks, but I just keep reminding myself this is better than being in pain ALL DAY!

You know what is horrible is the food here is so bad! I'm actually hungry but I couldn't stomach the dinner they brought me :( breakfast is usually ok. At least I usually get cerial. I'm gonna beg some of my family to bring me food from outside tomorrow.

OH my goodness... I don't know how on earth I missed this thread.. I am sorry! But I've just read through it and I hope you are doing better now?

If it helps.. I actually had air come out of my bum a couple of times after my op and my whole bum was sewn shut lol.

And the stoma nurse comes one a week?!!?! Mine came to see me everyday on weekdays! Just make sure they do not let you go home until you are comfortable with changing it yourself.

Amy,

Don't feel bad. I also pooped the other way twice so far. It's very annoying. I thought having the bag meant no more other poops. Talked to my surgeon and that's not the case! You will be fine. Sometimes crying cleans the soul. I want to cry everytime this thing leaks, but I just keep reminding myself this is better than being in pain ALL DAY!

Also, I believe the anesthetics make it easy to have a day where you feel like crying after surgery- there's always one bad day, sometimes two. The leaking does go away, but it's very frustrating at first. I use paper tape around the edges and most importantly, over the clip itself.

I actually haven't had a bag leak yet. I'm sure it will happen sooner or later. Its pretty frustrating that I haven't seen a stoma nurse or a dietitian yet. I don't know if I feel like everything that should be being done for me is being done for me. I'm a bit worried about it. Most of the nurses are nice enough but I really don't feel like all of them are that knowledgable about my situation. I'm floored that not one I've had so far has ever seen a seton band before! They can't be that rare in canada! It was a day surgery when I had them put in. As much as I want to be home for xmas, I don't want to be pushed out the door without all the knowledge I think I need.

Please tell me the poos from the old fashioned way stop! I can't handle it if it doesn't! What's the point of all this if it doesn't stop!

It will stop, unless your unlucky like me and have a stoma plus at least 2 poos the normal way everyday , which is why misty calls me double poo lol, don't worry you will be fine, you are probably getting some over spill as your output is still very loose this will settle down.

There is no guarantee they will stop so be mentally prepared. It only happened twice for me. I'm hoping mines stop too. We already have too much to deal with using the bag! That's great you haven't had a leak yet. I'm glad I had one while in the hospital because it prepared me to handle them at home. I'm on day 3 without a leak, I'm so proud of myself! Ive found my combination (stomahesive paste and a ostomy belt). That ostomy belt is a life saver! It's the little accomplishments that makes this much better to handle. I didn't see the ostomy nurse until the day before I left and she was rushing! I learned the most on this forum and You Tube.

What a day! My roommate coded and I got moved! I feel so bad for her and I really wish I could find out if she is alright. It was a very frightening experience. She wasn't responding to the nurse and All of a sudden there were 20 people in the room with a crash cart and they were getting me out of there.
On the very shallow upside. I got my family to bring me a sandwich and goldfish crackers. I feel awful even worrying about such silly things.

Having that happen to your roommate had to be scary! They also placed my bag over my incisions and the first change was so painful that I knew I would die right then.....:cry: Then as soon as the nurse took the bag off, Stella started squirting EVERYWHERE! I knew I would die again. I was covered in poop and in pain, I thought I definitely had made a mistake by getting this surgery. But now........no regrets! I'm 12 days post op and I'm back driving, eating whatever I want (some restrictions), and living a overall better life! Even my husband sees the difference......

I say this to tell you it's gonna be horrible in the beginning, but things will get better and it will be totally worth it!

Having that happen to your roommate had to be scary! They also placed my bag over my incisions and the first change was so painful that I knew I would die right then.....:cry: Then as soon as the nurse took the bag off, Stella started squirting EVERYWHERE! I knew I would die again. I was covered in poop and in pain, I thought I definitely had made a mistake by getting this surgery. But now........no regrets! I'm 12 days post op and I'm back driving, eating whatever I want (some restrictions), and living a overall better life! Even my husband sees the difference......

I say this to tell you it's gonna be horrible in the beginning, but things will get better and it will be totally worth it!
Ditto what Nitaboo said! The worst is the beginning- the incision makes the bag not as durable. This gets better very quickly. But also, the stoma shrinks in size, I think for about a month but don't hold me to that. So you will have to use cut to fit pouches and as the stoma shrinks and during this phase it is more likely to leak. It's not too bad, but using a two piece pouch and/or some 2 inch paper tape to reinforce the seal works well to prevent leaks You will soon get the point where the bag is an afterthought and you're eating normal again without any pain or worries. You may also experience an accident- where the bag's clip comes off, or the bag comes loose. IF that happens, please note we've all be there! Things do get better. So much better you may not recognize yourself anymore! Nothing about wearing a bag will prevent you from living a normal life again. In fact, you will be amazed at how quickly your life gets back to normal- the body is a very good at healing! Hang in there!

Terriernut

What a day! My roommate coded and I got moved! I feel so bad for her and I really wish I could find out if she is alright. It was a very frightening experience. She wasn't responding to the nurse and All of a sudden there were 20 people in the room with a crash cart and they were getting me out of there.
On the very shallow upside. I got my family to bring me a sandwich and goldfish crackers. I feel awful even worrying about such silly things.
Yes...I had 2 die next to me in hospital, a most distressing thing to happen.

I'm glad you got your sandwich and crackers hun. Little things make the difference. :hug:

Jeez hope your roommate is going to be ok don't blame you for being worried I would of been too that's a scary thing too happen. Let us know how she is. At least you had something to eat.

Oh my goodness scary! My room mates were these older ladies who could only go on and on about how awful life with a bag was. I don't think they realised that I'd just got a permanent one!!! Luckily I was determined I like life with my bag.

annawato

Staff member
Good on you Michelle, thats the right attitude to have. What you can't change, accept and look at the positives. Not always easy to do and i'm sure we have all shed a tear here and there and will at some point in the future when we get fed up but if you can mainly think of the positives it makes life so much easier.

Actually i talked to amy last night and i guess her roomate did pass

Her family was there at least. Very sad she seemed like a nice old girl

Good. Hoping to be home tmo now. The dr didnt think she was strong enough today so they decided to keep her an extra day. It sucks but hopefully she will be feeling good when she gets home

Home Home Home!!! And so happy about it. My house is a disorganized mess and I want to clean it up so badly! Too tired and sore right now so it will have to wait.
The home nurse comes tomorrow which is relieving to me.
I've already experienced the benefit of stoma life since I went straight to a huge family Xmas dinner from the hospital today. If I hadn't had surgery I would still have been at home on my couch near the bathroom in pain.
I actually got to sit with people and enjoy a bit of food without much worry! That's pretty much all I need. I know the surgical pain isn't forever.
Still nervous about bag change and touching it and hurting it but I will probably live. Haven't had anymore backend poos in a couple days which is partly responsible for my positive attitude. :thumright:

Welcome home! :biggrin:

It's so great that you were able to enjoy a family Christmas dinner even if you had to go gently on the festive food.

Your nervousness about bag change will gradually disappear and the home nurse should be able to help give you confidence with that. :hug:

Bag changes were definitely my worse fear! But you will get it. The catch is finding the right system. I recommend Convatec moldable because you don't have to cut the wafer. I'm finally getting 3-4 days out my system. I'm excited! I'm so happy your home. Leave the house a mess for now because if you strain, you can cause a hernia! That's not fun.......

You will do great, just try to stay positive! Remember crying is ok!

Should. I be concerned if there is no gas in my bag? Everything feels alright but last night the bag was like a little balloon. And tonight its completely flat. I'm maybe being paranoid about blockage. There is still poo in the bag though. Should there always be gas with poo? Maybe a dumb question

No gas is good! :thumleft:

Gas means the same as gas meant before you had the stoma. Sometimes you have it; sometimes you don't. Sometimes you have a bit; sometimes you have lots. The better you are digesting whatever you ate, the less gas.

As long as the other is coming through, there is nothing to worry about. :hug:

Also, if the poo sits around in the bag for a while, it seems to start creating its own gas.

Terriernut

Amy, my heart is glad for you! Take it easy for a bit though! (you wont have much choice your body will protest)

So happy you are home and enjoyed your food. The bag changing will get sorted. Do you have a stoma nurse assigned to you yet? Because you will need one. I can understand your apprehension about a bag change if you havent done one yet. Your stoma nurse really needs to get to you ASAP to teach you. Then again, thank goodness for Youtube!

Congrats on getting home just rest and take it easy:) glad you enjoy food without no worry its a lovely feeling and it just takes time to get used to the pouch changes. I didn't want to touch it at first now it doesn't bother me so much. Rest, rest, rest

I prefer not to have gas in my bag because too much can cause a leak! I usually have to "burp" my bag several times a day, which gets annoying, especially at night when you look and see a balloon.

I also wanted to let u know to use Hollister M9 odor control drops in your bag. The odor really got to me and it totally eliminates it. An ostomy belt had also helped me! I'm on day 4 with no leaks, I will probably change it today to be safe!

The only real problems are when nothing is getting into the bag. Your bag should not go very long without at least something (gas or stool) coming out inside. If you go 5 hours or so and absolutely nothing is coming out then you may have a little obstruction. But you would notice that, either by having some pain/cramping, or by starting to get very dehydrated. Often times I'll empty my bag in the morning and have about 1-2 hours where nothing seems to come out, and that's because it's been a while since I ate.

Please note that by "nothing" I really mean nothing. Zero output. If there's anything at all that's good.

I definitely don't like gas in the bag but it was freaking me out that it was so flat lol. I guess I should feel lucky. I don't want to jinx it but I'm having pretty good output. Its not tons of liquid, its oatmeal like already. I even had eggs for breakfast this morning and was prepared for some evil gas but so far its been fine.
I only breath through my mouth while I empty. The smell is awful! And I can't wait to get my hands on some bags that aren't see through. I don't really like looking at the stuff. Oooh and I had a colour experience today! Bright green! Grape poweraid and green tea results I guess!
Gotta love this site. Where else can I freely discuss the colour of my poo.

I prefer not to have gas in my bag because too much can cause a leak! I usually have to "burp" my bag several times a day, which gets annoying, especially at night when you look and see a balloon.

I also wanted to let u know to use Hollister M9 odor control drops in your bag. The odor really got to me and it totally eliminates it. An ostomy belt had also helped me! I'm on day 4 with no leaks, I will probably change it today to be safe!

M9 is very good. I've notice though over the years, mine isn't as "stinky" as before. Not sure if that is what most people experience but I'm not complaining. Another good trick to reduce odor is to drink cranberry juice. You'll still have some gas as normal, but the smell is not stinky.

Very true, Hobbes. The stink does lessen over time. I still use M9 because I'm paranoid, but there have been times when I didn't and the odor wasn't that bad. Definitely nothing as bad as the first 6 weeks!

Very true, Hobbes. The stink does lessen over time. I still use M9 because I'm paranoid, but there have been times when I didn't and the odor wasn't that bad. Definitely nothing as bad as the first 6 weeks!

That's what I thought. I was actually pretty stinky for a while (much longer than 6 months) but it was thought my intestines had a little kink in it somewhere. Eventually though, it did "straighten" itself out so to speak.

Those see though bags are the WORSE! I immediately changed as soon as I got home. Opaque bags are soooooo much better. If you have a ostomy nurse, she should take care of your first order because ordering supplies becomes overwhelming because I didn't know everything I needed. I know now though. I do need to find something to control the gas cause I balloon a lot and its uncomfortable under my clothes and makes a budge! I truly hate that.....:(

I want to try the covered ones but I'm scared I get the hole in wrong place and hurts my stoma coz you can't see where your putting it. I'm currently using the clear ones. Anyone got any tips? x

I'm guessing you're using one piece bags? I was taught that when you put it on you fold the wafer in half (NOT the sticky parts together!!) and place the bottom half as close to the underside of your stoma as possible the pull up and over the rest.
The one piece bags I had in hospital had an opaque cover, but had a flap when you could see inside as the plastic underneath was clear.
I use two piece bags now and much prefer them as I can get right inside and properly press down around Norman when changing him.

I was really worried about hurting my stoma to start with too. As you get more confident you won't worry so much. I'm only 5 weeks post op, but I'm so much more confident already.

Oh, meant to say, when you fold the wafer pull the plastic of the bag out away from the wafer (like you would when you cut the hole out.) Does that make sense?!