• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Scd

We are 8 days into the SCD diet with DS 11.

We are doing a slow introduction as described on the pecanbread website.

It is tough. All my DS has been able to eat are peeled and well cooked carrots, spinach, acorn/butternut squash, homemade applesauce, bananas, eggs, and plain meat.

We are on our second day of no bowel symptoms though so I consider it a success so far.

Last edited:
He was the one that suggested it, I had heard of it but I had also heard how hard it was to acquire a prescription from the doctor so it was just one of those things I probably subconsciously said if it is that hard to get maybe there is a reason, so when he suggested trying it instead of going to Humira or Remicade we jumped all over it. So far he is doing great on it. GI was very impressed at our appt. in October. We started on July 1st so he would like to give it a full year and then do a scope so he can see how well or not it is working. But physically from what I can tell Jack is doing the best he has since his dx. We have not seen the weight gain/growth that I wanted to see but then I wanted him to grow 5 inches and gain 30 lbs. I think another LDN mom summed it up best is her daughter ended up growing/gaining weight about the last 4 months of the first year and she believed it took that long for the intestines to heal and be able to do the job they are meant to do.
I think it is definitely worth trying, I know it does not work for everyone and we had a few really bad weeks when we first started which we were able to get under control with diet (or the LDN kicked in and started working). He is back to eating pretty much what he wants. (No seeds, popcorn, etc) and we try and limit the gluten but he doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

We are 8 days into the SCD diet with DS 11.

We are doing a slow introduction as described on the pecanbread website.

It is tough. All my DS has been able to eat are peeled and well cooked carrots, spinach, acorn/butternut squash, homemade applesauce, bananas, eggs, and plain meat.

We are on our second day of no bowel symptoms though so I consider it a success so far.
Hi, just keep going :) I am on the diet one year already and can confirm it works for me :)

I am surprised you can eat spinach, I can't it makes D. worse.

Hi, just keep going :) I am on the diet one year already and can confirm it works for me :)

I am surprised you can eat spinach, I can't it makes D. worse.
Cooked spinach is in the first few phases on the pecan bread website. He hates it though, so he hasn't eaten enough of it for us to figure out if it is a problem.
He is doing great so far. We just need him to gain weight. We will try almond flour later this week. If we find we can use nut flours, butters, etc then weight gain should come easier.

Where are you even finding almond flour? Through the mail? I couldn't find it anywhere in Connecticut.

I did blanch a bunch of almonds and grind my own flour, but there's got to be a better way. :) I keep hearing whispers that people are buying the stuff somwhere but never anything concrete. The best I've ever gotten was "You can buy it on Amazon" and you can, for a lot of money in small quantities, but ugh.

KWalker

Oh wait, give me some time and I'll find you the link. Somebody had it posted where they buy there's online. I think they said they buy it in large amounts though as it would obviously cut down on cost. Let me see if I can find it again.

When you made your own did you boil them first and take off the outside? Looking at the cost of almonds alone I can't see it being much more expensive to buy it already done.

It was over a year ago and I honestly don't remember much about the process as we didn't stick with it. I remember I bought 3 pounds of almonds at Whole Foods and did not get a lot of flour out of it.

I think SCD will challenge my grocery budget. That's another concern. :) I was worried about that when we tried it a year or so ago, but honestly we had such trouble even sourcing SCD friendly foods that we gave up too soon to find out.

KWalker

I was/still am concerned about the money part of it, but there's also a lot of expensive junk food I buy too so I'll be eliminating that so I'm hoping it kind of evens out. I made a juice the other day and buying all fresh veggies, the drink cost me under $2. Tons of nutrients in it though.

I did blanch a bunch of almonds and grind my own flour, but there's got to be a better way. :) I keep hearing whispers that people are buying the stuff somwhere but never anything concrete. The best I've ever gotten was "You can buy it on Amazon" and you can, for a lot of money in small quantities, but ugh.

I bought some from www.honeyville.com You can buy it in 25 pounds bags. If you sign up for their email they sometimes send out 15% off coupons.

I think SCD will challenge my grocery budget. That's another concern. :) I was worried about that when we tried it a year or so ago, but honestly we had such trouble even sourcing SCD friendly foods that we gave up too soon to find out.

I think it depends on how you go about it. Are you content to change your diet completely? If you try to eat almost the same way you were eating before (especially if you ate a very grain based diet) then it will get very expensive. You can't have a diet that depends heavily on nut flour breads, muffins, cookies, etc and not break the budget because nut flours are expensive. What we have opted to do is focus on meat, veggies, and fruits with a few baked goods as an occasional treat rather than the norm. Ultimately, take away the prepackaged stuff and you should save money or at least not be in the hole. Just my opinion though.

It was over a year ago and I honestly don't remember much about the process as we didn't stick with it. I remember I bought 3 pounds of almonds at Whole Foods and did not get a lot of flour out of it.
Hi! Here in UK we have supplier you can buy the grounded nuts from. I always buy for 50 GBP so it's free delivery and it last for few mounths. But of course there is no point for you to buy it from here.

http://www.naturalchoice.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

But on the other hand we do not have dry cottage cheese in UK :)

I couldn't find it either. I know Whole Foods is sort of a sham anyway, but I was a little surprised I could find so few SCD legal things there relative to a regular supermarket.

I couldn't find it either. I know Whole Foods is sort of a sham anyway, but I was a little surprised I could find so few SCD legal things there relative to a regular supermarket.

SCD things are difficult to find anywhere. That is why Elaine says you need to make everything homemade. Time consuming. I think it would be hard to succeed unless you have a good support ~ my husband is completely on board!

You can buy almond flour in various quantity bags at DigestiveWellness.com. comes in the mail, works well and more economical than supermarket. I buy a lot and keep in freezer. Check out their other products too.

I've only tried the bobs red mill and the honeyville brands. I think the honeyville is wayyyy better. Cheaper too in the 5lb bags.

My daughter told me the best place to buy almond flour is Trader Joe's.

The cheesecake is part of the intro diet and it contains dry curd cottage cheese aka farmer's cheese, so I would assume so, but I'm no expert!

Anyone know if Farmer Cheese can be used in stage 1 if still have D.
This is where I split ways with SCD. I personally would avoid dairy until symptoms are gone and then try it, knowing that if you are sensitive to the proteins it may take a few weeks of consumption before you start having issues.

As a vegetarian, I'm not sure what my son would be eating without dairy, right now. He's eating a lot of the yogurt.

He tried well cooked string beans last night and although they didn't make him feel bad, they pretty much went straight through. First food that has done that.

I want to put a T of organic almond butter into a banana & cooked apple smoothie for him soon, in order to increase his calories. He's been feeling well, having well formed BMs and maintaining weight of 101. Been on the diet (with 4 Peptamen still) 9 days. Is it too soon?

As a vegetarian, I'm not sure what my son would be eating without dairy, right now. He's eating a lot of the yogurt.

He tried well cooked string beans last night and although they didn't make him feel bad, they pretty much went straight through. First food that has done that.

I want to put a T of organic almond butter into a banana & cooked apple smoothie for him soon, in order to increase his calories. He's been feeling well, having well formed BMs and maintaining weight of 101. Been on the diet (with 4 Peptamen still) 9 days. Is it too soon?
Do you have a true conviction that causes you to be a vegetarian or is it for health purposes? Just curious.

We ended up adding almond butter sooner than recommended for calorie purposes too. E did fine, even though he still wasn't doing okay on many of the recommended fruits and veggies.
As he healed, he was able to eat more fruits and veggies. He was limited for a while though.

We had to nix dairy to get there though. Maybe you won't have to do that but just so you know, the yogurt was not to E's advantage.
E ate quite a bit of chicken, turkey, and pork at first.

I'm vegan for ethical reasons (not at the expense of my son's health, though). My son has never eaten meat, except for trying to eat a bowl of SCD chicken soup and a piece of SCD fish. He was thoroughly grossed out by both and wants to remain a vegetarian, if at all possible.

Is anyone dealing with food allergies on the SCD. My son has allergies to apples, strawberries and also to veggies, though the squashes seem to be ok. I am waiting for blood test results of tree nuts so I can see if he can have the almond butter or almond flour. If I can't give him almond flour, not sure what to do. I think bean flours are not scd legal now.

I thought bean flours weren't legal because of possible contamination? I was planning to make my own for my kiddo. It looks pretty easy.

I made organic almond butter for the first time today and he had a Tablespoon in his smoothie. *fingers crossed* :)

I'm beginning to think you can make flour out of anything...

What about coconut flour?

Thanks Amy for the suggestion. I will ask my son's allergist about using coconut flour. Will also ask to test for bean allergy.

BTW, I just made a batch of the honey meringue cookies, from someone's blog/ website. Have you ever made them? Disappointed, they have no taste. Its just honey , vanilla and egg whites. tastes like cardboard. Not sure what else to put in it next time, except for fruit, which I can't use. Maybe more vanilla extract, something.

I've not made any baked goods for him, yet. We've only been on the SCD since May 6th and we are going very slowly.

His favorite thing to eat is the yogurt with honey and he's eating so much of it that I am making a batch every other day!

I've been making Pecan butter cake, not using flour, using pecan butter. Hard to find pecan butter, but found it at fairway, expensive, like $12 per small jar, but its there. Son likes it, but is getting bored of the same thing. I also made yogurt, but not going over so well.

I am still researching how to heal leaky gut to help reduce allergens and help Crohns. I am going to add NAC to his vitamins, not thrilled to take so many, but is cooperating pretty well. Also need to add fish oil, but tastes so bad, I don't think I'll win that one. Worried about giving enteric coated fish oil capsules, bc has narrowed ileum. Worried, it will get stuck and cause a blockage.

Pecan butter ought to be easy to make, but pecans are expensive, too. But, I did find organic almonds for $7 lb, so about half the price of almond butter and I like knowing what's in it.

Not sure if your son doesn't like the yogurt or it doesn't agree with him, but my son loves it with a berry sauce poured over it. Cook berries in a little water for 5 or so minutes and add a little honey. We usually use blueberries.

SCD diet... I am 8 months in. I have had good results. My swelling is way down. I lost 15 lbs of swelling from my abdomen. I had developed Crohn's arthritis all over my body, and at Christmas 2012 I was in a wheelchair. I am now walking and moving better! I cook all the time, and am very careful about my diet. I would kill someone for a piece of pizza though!! :)
I still have some joint pain, and some ab pain that comes and goes, but no Mr. D and only rare breakthrough bleeding. I consider this a great success.

Lightblb
Pentasa and Imuran

hint: know a restaurant owner? They can get you excellent almond flour, 10 lbs for USD $70 wholesale

We've been doing SCD since early May, I think. Son is feeling well and started gaining weight again with the introduction of peanut butter. In mid march, he weighed 79 lbs, he now weighs 110.

But, would he be doing just as well eating a normal diet? Who knows?!

I have been on SCD for 8 months now. I am a good cook so it is easy for me, but costly. I did the yogurt thing, but found it too time consuming and annoying. I have very little dairy.
A few days ago it was midnight and I was up..(normal)...so I got the Swiss cheese. I ate several pieces. I had an allergic reaction! I am about to turn 56 years old. I ate Swiss cheese all my life, and now, I guess not.
I had an allergic reaction to Aleve several months ago. I don't know what is going on.

I get my almond flour from a restaurant owner who orders it for me wholesale, 10 lb box for $70US I am not using as much as I did. But I eat fish, and dust the fish in the almond flour before cooking. Comes out great.

My husband made fish for my son with the almond flour, but he wouldn't eat it, even though it looked really good and my husband said it was. My son is trying to eat some meat. It's funny because I'm trying to find him foods that taste like the foods he grew up eating (as a vegetarian) so I bought some organic 100% beef hot dogs and he told me happily, "These taste just like tofu pups." He's also eaten some vegetable soup with bone broth...it's not easy for him or me as a vegan, to cook meat again.
I've gotten the yogurt down. I pour the milk into a pot and turn it on high, while stirring often. Takes about 10 min to get it to the right temp. Then I let it cool and go do stuff for 2.5 hours. Pour a little into the yogurt container, stir in the yogurmet packs, add the rest of the milk, stir, put in in the maker, set a timer to remind me when to get it the next day and that's it. It probably takes all of 20 minutes from start to finish. My son eats A LOT of it.

I make my own almond flour. Blanch the almonds, peel them (easy!) then put them into the food processor. I put any extra in the freezer. I last paid $7lb for organic almonds.