• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Carbonated drinks

nogutsnoglory

I love bubbley drinks but find that I get so much gas and burping from them. I also get major cramps from the bubbles that swirl in my insides.

Is there anything natural akin to an enzyme that helps with this?

If you just like the taste you can let the drinks sit out and some of the dissolved CO2 will leach out, but they will be less fizzy. The best solution when the gas bloats your stomach is to let it out (though admittedly this can be awkward in Western cultures). Gas-x (simethicone) will reduce the bloated feeling a bit, but not the flatulentce/belching.

About a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water works wonders. Used to get the perpetual burps stuck in my chest and nothing else worked.

KWalker

Hmm, what about doing the peppermint tea and then letting it sit so it's more of a cold drink? That would probably be delicious!

It makes me burp, too. But burping gets all the gas and bubbles out to avoid indigestion and tummy aches. Thought that was the point, but I guess you're trying to avoid the burping... Gotcha!

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
Gas X doesn't seem to do anything for me.
Same here.

I miss my carbonated drinks....but I feel much better physically avoiding them completely. Too acidic! If I do have a soda on the odd occasion, I have to pour it into a glass and stir with a fork to get all the bubbles out :ylol2:

I linked the consumption of carbonated drinks to my flare-ups. Three times it happened just after I had one. In 2004 I got into remission thanks to some natural therapy and then also stopped drinking fizzy drinks. I was in remission for 7 years. Recently I had one fizzy drink one by accident at friends' house and now I have another flare up...Not sure if it is just a coincidence or not, but I would stop taking them