• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just joined.

hiya guys, just joined the forum so new to all this haha :)
I was diagnosed with Crohns disease around last August after the hardest year of my life. I was only 14 when I first started to get ill, I'm now 16.
It all started when I was told I had appendicitis & my appendix were then removed. From there things just went from bad to worse, you will find my story that was featured in the Daily Mail newspaper is you just type in google ''JLS saved my life'' that will explain everything.

Im currently in the middle of another flare up & being treated with a liquid diet, 8 fortisip drinks a day & no food at all. If anyone else has been treated with this, is there anything to make the diet easier that I could have?
I'm learning at the moment the best treatment for me & how to deal with my illness, its been an awful past 2 years but sites like this make you feel like you're not alone.

SarahBear

Hi, Leah! Welcome to the forum!

I'm reading over your article now. It's a great story. I'm glad you were able to have that experience, but very sorry about the troubles that led up to it.

Are you currently taking any medications? A lot of people try Enteral nutrition; they can give you tips on things like that in the Diet, Fitness, and Supplements section. You might also want to check out the Teens Only section to talk with others your age.

thank-you when I agreed to do it I thought it would be great to raise awareness for Crohns as there was nothing really out there that I saw when I got diagnosed. Im currently taking pentasa, which I have been on ever since I was diagnosed. And ok thanks a lot I shall browse the forum :)

Astra

Hiya Leah
and welcome
not so far from me!

I've never tried any liquid diets so can't help you there.
Have you been offered any meds at all?
If you were my daughter I would be questioning the docs as to how they were gonna treat the inflammation long term.
IMO no diet will halt inflammation, it can help with symptoms tho.
Check out our treatment section about all meds, inc Pentasa, which IMO is a prophylactic, to maintain, but you've got to get the inflammation under control first.
Take this from a very old Crohnie!
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

David

Co-Founder
Hi Leah, welcome to the community! Thank you for joining and sharing your story :)

I'm sorry you're in a flare right now, that's terrible :(

Do I understand correctly that your treatment is Pentasa and then if you flare, they give you exclusive enteral nutrition? If that is correct, how often do you flare?

All my best to you.

Hi Leah
Welcome you might even want to check in the parents forum section there is a whole thread on EN (liquid diet). It's mostly by parents of kids, many of the parents of teenagers they may be able to give you advice through their kids. Make sure you check out the teen forum as well