• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello - My Story

Hi everyone, im new to this forum and thought I would introduce myself. I am Amber from New Zealand and have now been living with a Crohn's diagnosis for about three years. My symptoms started when I was approx 18 and I am now just about 30. After many years of going to my Dr and just getting it put down to IBD I did a bit of research myself, changed Dr and finally got a diagnosis in 2010 after my brother in law sent me to the best person to talk to (he has celiacs disease sp?) I am currently on Pentasa which is working as I only have mild to severe disease (more on the mild side). I had a baby in April this year #2 and at the start of the pregnancy I got an abscess which has been by far the worst pain I have experienced including being up there with childbirth, luckily it happened to burst so did not require draining :)
I had a check up with my gastro Dr yesterday and am awaiting some blood results as since the birth of #2 I have had achy sore joints and am getting my CRP levels checked to see whats going on.
I am always on the look out for new information and advances in the medicine on offer and am very interested to read other peoples story's.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

With the bloods that the doc is doing do you know whether any of your vitamin levels are being checked? Do they suspect that the crohns is acting up? When will you next see them to get the results?

There is a lot of helpful info here so do have a good look around!

AB
xx

I don't think my vit levels are being checked, I didn't even ask about that. Last blood test done at my GP when I originally went to get my achy joints checked (because I didn't even relate it to my CD) my CRP levels were up then so my Gastro Dr is checking them again and I am also severely deficient in iron so thats getting checked too and she will give me a ring if she thinks I need to see her again. She would like to look into why I am sore and thinks maybe the achy joints may be an indication that something is going on.

Angrybird

Depending on what the doc says when she rings it may be worth asking to have these checked, people with crohn's can suffer from deficiences in this area and a low vitamin D can cause joint/bone pain for example.

annawato

Staff member
welcome to the forum Amber. I get achey joints and achey muscles which my GI says is caused by the crohn's, while my gp thinks it fibromyalgia. Either way it makes life miserable and I feel for you dealing with it while looking after little ones. As for abscess pain, YES it is a terrible pain. I'm glad yours self drained, did you have to go into hospital for it? Sounds like you have a good doctor though which can make all the difference. Anyway just wanted to make you feel welcome,

Hi Amber and welcome to the community. Please feel free to have a look around, read, ask or vent. We are here to support you or lend a listening ear. Hope this new GI gets you on the best treatment plan for you and they get the aches n pains under control. Best wishes to you! - hugs-