• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Elevated CRP and Magnesium

David

Co-Founder
To the countless members out there who have elevated CRP:

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

Current dietary guidelines recommend adequate intake of magnesium (310-420 mg daily) in order to maintain health and lower the risk of cardiovascular disease. Recent evidence from animal and clinical studies suggests that magnesium may be associated with inflammatory processes. The objective of this study was to determine whether dietary magnesium consumption is associated with C-reactive protein (CRP), a marker of inflammation, in a nationally representative sample.

METHODS:

Analysis of adult (> or =17 years) participants in a cross-sectional nationally representative survey (National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2000 [NHANES]) who were not taking magnesium or magnesium-containing supplements. The primary outcome measure was high sensitivity CRP (elevated > or =3.0 mg/L).

RESULTS:

Among US adults, 68% consumed less than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of magnesium, and 19% consumed less than 50% of the RDA. After controlling for demographic and cardiovascular risk factors, adults who consumed <RDA of magnesium were 1.48-1.75 times more likely to have elevated CRP than adults who consumed > or =RDA (Odds Ratio [OR] for intake <50% RDA = 1.75, 95% Confidence Interval [CI] 1.08-2.87). Adults who were over age 40 with a BMI >25 and who consumed <50% RDA for magnesium were 2.24 times more likely to have elevated CRP (95% CI 1.13-4.46) than adults > or =RDA.

CONCLUSIONS:

Most Americans consume magnesium at levels below the RDA. Individuals with intakes below the RDA are more likely to have elevated CRP, which may contribute to cardiovascular disease risk.
Source

Magnesium deficiency is very common in people with IBD.

I don't have the studies to back it up, but I would add that selenium and iodine are generally woefully lacking in our diet. Mag/Sel/Io all help detox metals, among other things. Selenium, in its better forms, helps prevent colon cancer dramatically. Iodine is somewhat blocked by the cumulative fluoride in food/water and deficiency causes the high rates of thyroid problems which causes metabolic problems, especially in women.

kiny

Selenium is an element of glutathione peroxidase, which is the catalyst for glutathione, one of the most powerful antioxidants. I think it's the most powerful really hmmm.

Hey David, I have heard that the latest home swimming pools can use magnesium (as opposed to salt or chlorine) as the filtering agent. It is supposed to be fantastic for aches and pains and better for filtration. Do you think this would be good for someone with crohn's in general?? Apparently your body does absorb some of the meagnesium. Just wondering what you may have heard as we are thinking of putting in a pool and I just read about this. Thanks! Ams. Btw, really appreciate all the research you do and post for us!! :ycool: