• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weighing protein

Is weighing protein the same as weighing an other powdery food like flour I bought some protein but has no scoop in it I was told ny my nutritionist I need 100grams of protein a day which is 2 50gram shakes a day I don't mind as I will just put it into my smoothies nut can I weigh it on a scale to get the right amount or is there another way to do this

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Can you look at the serving size on the back and see how much is in each serving? I asked my husband about it as he used to use protein in shakes all the time so he said you want to get one that's mainly protein rather than some of the ones that have a lot of additives like sugar, cholesterol etc. If it has cholesterol in it it tends to clump up and not taste good he says. He recommends that you go to a supplement shop like a GNC store or something and ask which ones are the best and why so you can learn about it more and compare the one you bought to the ones they sell.

I bought a pure protein I did alot of research before I bought this particular protein each serving is 21grams but how do I workout what a serving is is it a tablespoon or what thats why I wan to weigh it so I get the full 50grams for one shake he protein I bought is just 100% pure rice protein I read alot of reviews on it and it's real good for crohnies

kiny

Like people said, should say on the box how much protein is in 100 grams or per scoop, like any other food. I doubt that it's "100% protein", which is usually a marketing gimmick, splitting the proteins from the food source is costly, there is probably a few grams of complex carbs / fibre in the rice protein or something. The label should show you.

Something like this should be on the box:

Last edited:
By pure protein do you mean isolate?

Also there are tiny amounts of carbs/fats in it yeah. Even in isolate, but it's usually very little. And 100g of the powder won't get you 100g protein. Thinking off the top of my head you're probably going to need about 120g-130g of the powder to hit 100g protein. This is going from what whey I've seen, rice could be different (most likely you're going to need more).

But as said above check the package. If it's not on the package it will be on their website if you bought online (I buy online, my package has no values!)

Also as posted above, GNC is a good place to check. I haven't actually been inside their shops since I get all my stuff online, but they're likely to have some scoops you can use to weigh your stuff. If you need recommendations on what brands to buy just send me a PM or ask here, I'll be watching!

Well I had a look at the labael on the protein and it has 80grams of protein per 100grams of powder.

So i found a scoop that holds 20grams of powder and I worked it out I need 6 of theese scoops to get the 100grams of protein so I will put 3 scoops in one shake amd then the other 3 into the other shake please correct me if I'm wrong

Are you getting any other sources of protein right now? 100g of supplemental protein is a lot. The human body requires about 0.8g/kg of body mass per day, anything additional is a lot of extra strain on your kidneys to get rid of the excess.

I dunno I eat a fair bit of meat and not really any vegetables as I can't tolerate them I don't eat that much during the day as it wreaks havoc on the guts I eat pretty small portions and sometimes I skip meals when no well or have no appetite

kiny

Why aren't you using albumin or whey isolate protein then though, they're much more bioavailable than rice protein. Honestly I assumed you were a vegetarian after you said you chose rice protein, but if you're not I would get better protein than rice protein.

Don't forget whey protein is made from milk, so it might upset some peoples stuff. But yeah if it doesn't whey is the best.

Have you ever tried any other sources of protein that aren't meat? Things like lentils and quinoa? It's always worth trying to balance out your diet.

kiny

Don't forget whey protein is made from milk, so it might upset some peoples stuff. But yeah if it doesn't whey is the best.
And to be fair, milk protein would be casein protein, whey is from the cheese process when they split it from the curd, and then whey isolates are once more ionised or filtered. It is from milk, but whey isolates have very little to do with casein protein from milk you can buy.

Can't tolerate dairy and I beleive milk is to fatten up calves so let the cows keep it to them selves we don't need milk that's designed for another species