• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly Diagnosed and Nursing Mom

I orignially went to the gastro for stinky gas...I figured it was a bacteria issue in my stomach. We have family history of Crohns so the doctor thought we should do a colonoscopy. They discovered Crohns-despite the fact I really feel fine.

He immediately put me on Entocort (said it was safe for nursing mothers) and suggested I start Humira. I was so over whelmed and wanted a second opinion. The second doctor confirmed that the images are consistent with Crohns. He suggested Cimzia since I would like to have more children and the risk during pregnancy is lower. But he pretty much made it sound like I should stop nursing since my daughter will be 12 months and getting live vaccines. I have accepted the idea of weaning her, but I really HATE the idea of not being able to nurse future children.

I am so confused and scared of side effects when I really don't feel bad. But I know I should be thankful and take the drugs to decrease the chance of additional issues.

Suggests? HELP?

Welcome to the Forum.

I don't know much about either drug, but I do know women often stop their medication while pregnant or nursing. That does not work well for some medications.

You probably should treat it in the meantime, one way or another. The damage Crohn's does is often not felt until it is severe. Been there myself.

I hope someone else can help you out more.

Good Luck

Dan

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome.

One suggestion I have if you don't want to wean yet is to discuss utilizing exclusive enteral nutrition (a liquid diet) with your doctor. EEN is shown to be a fantastic treatment option for people with IBD and not only is it safe for kids, but considering the vitamin/mineral content, it may very well be beneficial as you nurse.

From there, well, it's a tough one. While EEN can put you in remission, most people can't handle not eating food forever and as such, go off the EEN. Obviously you want to get the Crohn's in deep stable remission but I also understand your concern about becoming pregnant again. I personally recommend you get comfortable and start reading about the various treatment options and their pregnancy categories located here and then ask us and your doctor any questions you have.

We're here for you :)