• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and depression.

There are times I feel depressed partly because of my disease. I have racked up quite a few medical bills because of flares...doctor visits..etc..and have gotten behind on what used to be perfect flawless credit. It just gets me down becaus this disease has caused me a lot of pain and suffering both mentally and physically. I am starting on humira in the next week or so so I am hoping that this will slow the disease down an help me be able to live a somewhat normal lifestyle once again!!

Hi Bleedblue,

It is a disease that messes with us mentally as well as physically, it's really hard being unwell so much of the time and most of us get down at some point. That's why this forum is so helpful! Lots of Crohnies to talk to who know what you're going through. That said, it might be worth looking into getting counselling if you're feeling really depressed. I really feel for you guys in the States who are struggling with the financial burden of healthcare, my heart goes out to you :hug:

Hopefully the Humira will help to get your disease under control, and once you are feeling more well you will feel more like yourself again - I have been there, and it doesn't last forever (though it seems like it might!)

Good luck :)

SarahBear

I'm sorry you've been having a tough time, Bleedblue!

Hopefully things will improve for you soon. If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Humira section, here.

Lizzy's suggestion of counseling might be a good idea. You're going through something very difficult; it's understandable to want to talk it out with someone and get some help. If not, there are others on the forum who are going and have gone through similar situations - hopefully knowing you're not alone can help.

:hug: I really hope things get better for you soon.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Bleedblue214 (is that a Green Bay Packers logo as your avatar?? Go Pack!!). First I must say that I can totally relate, to both the depression and the financial worries. If you haven't already, check with your hospital and see what they offer for financial aid. They should have some sort of assistance program, you'll probably have to fill out forms and provide copies of financial documents, etc. I know because I went through that myself, and I was approved - I had over $6,000 in medical debt that was basically wiped out, no more debt! :D And if you haven't already, check into Humira's financial assistance program too. I haven't been on Humira myself, but I've heard others on here say that there's a program where you can get Humira for something like $5 per month.

I hope the Humira works wonders for you and gets you feeling a lot better. I am in remission myself and I can say from experience that I am a lot happier than I used to be! It's so easy to get depressed when you're ill all the time and feel like there's no end in sight. Hang in there, feel better soon, and please know that there is a light at the end of that tunnel!

Hi there, I just wanted to say good luck with starting with Humira, I'm not on Humira and I like it, it's so easy to do and it's working pretty well for me, a take a pill a day and one shot every two weeks and the rest of the time I can forget I'm ill. I hope you start to feel better, I think it can be the effects Crohn's has, like you said the rising debt or for me the limitations it places on what I can do, that gets people down.

Hey blue,
Welcome aboard. Remember, you're not alone and there are so many here to offer advice, support and lend an ear. I would do as suggested above, check into Humira® online and fill out their application- its like 4 pages but can lower your payment ( if qualified) from 0-50 dollars depending. It's a great program. I would also speak with your doc about it as they have vouchers for it sometimes. Also, Concern411 on the forum might be able to offer some advice on assistance. She helps coordinate an outreach program all over US for qualified people.
Have you spoke with your doc about an antidepressant? There is no shame in taking one- this disease can really get to you. Especially if you're like me and want to stay in denial. It is tough, but we are strong to endure and you can do it!! Keep your head up and stay strong. Hope you get feeling better soon and everything falls into place.
I would definitely take Sarah's advice and visit the Humira® sub forum. I bet there are others that can relate and offer great advice. Best of luck to you!! -hugs-