Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » 5 Year Anniversary

12-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
isosceleskramer

5 Year Anniversary

I'm new to this forum, but it definitely seems welcoming and helpful. Today (12/19) is my 5 year anniversary with Crohn's Disease. I had my surgery on 12/19/2007. I would like to say I am in good condition, considering the circumstances. There's an occasional bump in the road here and there. I was wondering what other Crohnies conditions' were like 5 years after diagnosis?
12-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Angrybird

My Support Groups:
Hello and welcome to the forum

I celebrated my 10yr anniversary since official diagnosis this year and am thankful that so far I have only needed the one operation - at 5yrs I believe I was being considered for Remicade as the tum was not a happy bunny. Are you on any meds at the moment? What op did you have to have in '07? What type of bumps are you still getting?

I am pleased you have decided to join, there is a lot of helpful info and support here for you.

AB
xx

DX: Crohns July 2002
Surgery: Ileocecal Resection Sept 2011
Now:Tummy behaving itself and new mummy to baby Nicholas
Current Meds: 6-MP 75mg,B12 injections every 3 months
Previous Meds: Budesonide, Prednisone, Remicade, Pentesa,Hydroxychlorequine,Azathioprine (tried twice) and Methotrexate
12-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
isosceleskramer

Hello Angrybird,

I am currently taking Pentasa (4 pills, twice daily) and occasionally Omeprazole. The operation that I had in '07 was for what they thought was appendicitis. After they removed my appendix, they realized that it was something worse. That something worse was Crohn's disease. They ended up removing a foot and a half of my intestines (mix of large and small) and part of my colon. I'm surprised that I have been doing as well as I have...Knock on wood. I have a steady, healthy diet, and exercise 5-6 days a week, which I think helps a lot.

The bumps I have been getting are quite painful stomach cramps; ones that keep me up through the night, and prevent me from going into work. They originally thought it was an ulcer, but when it recurred 2 weeks ago, I went in for x-rays and blood work, in order to find out that I was "backed up." There was a lot of food stuck in my colon. I guess the verdict is that the pains have been due to lack of water in my colon. I'm hoping a little extra hydration and smarter diet might help. I have been taking Miralax the past week to ensure that it does not come back, but I would rather not continue with it once the bottle is gone.

Some minor "bumps" I incur are brief lower abdominal pains. These cause minor discomfort, and only last for a minute at most. I will get these maybe once a month.

Have you had any symptoms such as these? If not, what do you experience, mostly?

IK
12-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Angrybird

My Support Groups:
Have you noticed an improvement now with the tum? When are you next due to see your doc for a check up? Right now I do not have any problems at all, not even the slightest of grumbles, I think it's a mixture of my medication and the baby that is keeping me so well. Previously though I have had an issue with being backed up and was given a drink similar to the ones you get before a colonoscopy to clear me out, otherwise I usually would get the occasional tummyaches and pain on the right side which is where I eventually developed the stricture that was removed last year.
12-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
isosceleskramer

I have noticed an improvement within the past week. No problems since I was cleared out. Maybe it is just an occasional flare up. My next check up is in early February, but my doc is always accessible via phone, which is good. My most recent colonoscopy was in October and everything looked normal. All in all, I am not too nervous about it. I think I'm in good condition, 5 years in. Btw, congrats on the baby!
12-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Angrybird

My Support Groups:
Thank you! I am glad to hear that you can get in contact with your doc if you need to, hopefully this was a small blip and the tum will stay settled for you.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » 5 Year Anniversary