• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

GI on Wednesday

Hi all I am going to the GI on Wednesday. I have had alot of symptoms for a long time now and finally had my GP check me out. She did bloodwork all of which came back normal. My symptoms are: diahrrea, abdominal cramps, bloating, fatigue, lower right abdominal pain, hair loss, anal fistula( flares alot), and joint pain in hands and legs. Sometimes I feel like I can not walk as my feet are so tender. I went to have a CT scan done because I thought my appendix was rupturing and they said that something was blocking my appendix because the barium didn't fill it. What is the GI likely to do on Wednesday? Should I be concerned that this is Crohn's? My six year old son has alot of the same problems and he actually has chronic mouth ulcers as well. He has a genetic mutation that causes him to be a carrier of an auto-immune disease called HLH. If I find out I have Crohn's I am having him checked to. He had such bad diahrrea over the summer he was having 2-3 accidents a day. He is almost 7 and only weighs 40 pounds. I'm scared but ready to find out what plagues me and my baby!
Thanks,
mrjmom

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Hi there,

It certainly sounds like you really need some definative answers and all the things you mention could well point to crohns or an inflammatory bowel disease.

Your GI may want to a colonoscopy. It is the gold standard to be able to visualise the gut and also take biopsies for the lab to examine. Not the most pleasant of things but they will give you prep to drink the day before it (so more running to the loo but really worth it to stick by the regime even though its tough) to clean your bowel out and allow a good view. If possible they will try to get round to where your small and large bowel meet and examine that area of your appendix and what is known as the terminal ileum. Alot of crohns is discovered there.

It is possible they may look at some other tests and be aware that many crohns patients often can have "normal" blood tests and still be very ill so dont think to yourself they arent listening to you you already have proof from the CT scan there is something going on. Any GI worth their salt will explore things til they get some answers and decent treatment for you!

Keep asking questions of them and here we will happily be a sounding board even though unable to diagnose! If you do have Crohns it would be worth asking about you lovely son too. He may not have Crohns but his gut function should be checked out by the sounds of things as it could be poor absorption impacting on his development as the years go on.

If they do a colonoscopy you will be lightly sedated so you shouldnt remember much of it but it is so they can ask you to move a little if they need you to. They will also give you painkillers for it as they put air into the area to inflate the bowel and allow a good view of everything and it can be uncomfortable with that and as the scope travels round the bends/corners of the large bowel but it lasts a short space of time and you will mostly sleep through it all.

Hope my wafflings help a bit. Am sure others will touch base with you too. Let us know how you get on ok? You will find some parents around as well which will help I am sure once they spot you!

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing you around.

Last edited:
Thank you soupdragon. I am a little nervous to go to the GI but I just hope they do not dismiss me. I am also wondering how long it takes to get a colonoscopy scheduled and get the results. I am working against the calendar. I have already met my deductible this year so any tests done before the end of the year are covered 100%. I really appreciate the info. I'll keep you posted.
mrjmom

Sounds like you are here in the states... depends on how booked your local GI or hospital is, I know I can get in for colonoscopies asap, but a lot of others don't get that luxury. I'd check into it asap though.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Can totally understand your nervousness and we have all been there ourselves. As to how long til one is sheduled depends on your GI and what he/she thinks...

I am in the UK and saw my GI 2wks ago this coming monday (if that makes sense). My next colonoscopy is on 2nd Dec.

It varies time wise place to place..

I dont see that your GI will dismiss you at all and can clearly see you have problems and there is the definate need to explore things and obtain accurate answers for you. So dont worry on that front would be my thought!

Hang in there. Its a rollercoaster but we are all riding it with you no matter what the outcome ok?

Hope your son is doing ok too. Thinking of you both.