• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is exercise important in maintaining your condition?

Is exercise important in controlling your disease?

• Yes and I try to exercise regularly

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • Yes, but I do not exercise

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Yes, but I am unable to exercise currently

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
While stress is seen as a definite trigger of a flair up in your condition, I wanted to know whether you think exercise can help reduce the risk of flair ups. One reason why is that exercise can reduce stress, which is good for your condition. Exercise could also be seen as improving the strength of your body and its many systems. This is not proven though, and no matter what some do nothing can prevent a flair.

So do you think exercise is important?

As for me...

I have not been able to exercise at all for a long time, but recently started again. I think it is important, as whether or not it actually does prevent anything, it makes me feel good (which is the most important)

D

DarrylP_Ajax

exercise is crazy important, i would say my recovery is going as smooth as it is because i was in great shape when it hit, my body seemed to be able to handle things a-ok

D

devildee(donna2005)LOL

i dont go out of my way to exercise but i do walk everywhere because i dont drive

J

Jonny

It heps your blood flow smoothly to all the right places and maintains a good balance in your body and also keeps you stronger to fight of flare ups when they come.My acupuncturist told me it was very important for me to excercise as it would help me heal better so i try and do it when i can like go for jogs and stretch and do some lightish weights.

I was meant to go for a jog today but slept in and now i dont have the get up and go lol.Hmm fancy some icecream and a Cadburys flake hehe

S

Spongie Sonya

I feel so much better when I exercise...I haven't been able to for a few months due to my surgery, but went to the gym last night for the first time, and boy do I ache today!!!!!!!!!!!

V

Valentina

I know it makes a difference to me, and I try to go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week, but I havent been since I got home from my trip to Ireland, and to be honest I can really tell lately, I havent felt great, and no energy, and I know thats why, but when you feel so blah, its hard to force yourself to move. instead I sit here and post about it.. lol

B

bettykitten

Yoga is a very good exercise for Chrohns sufferers and is also good for controlling stress and depression. I currently don,t exercise due to crippling pain in my joints.

B

bettykitten

bettykitten said:
Yoga is a very good exercise for Chrohns sufferers and is also good for controlling stress and depression. I currently don,t exercise due to crippling pain in my joints.
we are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

V

Valentina

we are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

Love the quote Betty.. you should put that in your signature maybe?

P

punky_liz

I try to exercise regularly. If I'm not feeling well it's hard to do anything much, sometimes I just go for walks. But I suppose it's better then nothing.

J

jessev

I have just recently started to flare up pretty badly for the first time in a few months, and I have been trying to stick to going out and jogging 2-3 times a week because of some recent weight gain I got from a long fight with pred.

I went joggin today and i was a bit worried because yesterday I was going to the toilet every 20mintues, but weirdly enough once i started jogging all the pain went away and it didnt return till now, sitting down on the computer.

So I would have to say it helps me, and i would agree with people when they say it makes them feel better regardless if its helping there condition or not.

Last edited:
Exercise is very important to controlling Crohn's. It helps by controlling stress which is a major contributer to flare ups for most people. I chose the first check because although I haven't exercised since I started school I am going to be going under an exercise regime when I get back to school.

C

cindypat

I don't seem to have the energy to exercise, when I am not having the stomach spasms, my stomach is very achy from having the spasms, so I do not feel like doing any thing that requires alot of motion. But I am sure exercise is very good for you, but maybe once I can get mine under control, then hopefully I will feel like exercising.

Kev

I commonly have problems with energy levels, fatigue, etc.. However, whenever I manage to find the will to perform physical activity, despite the tremendous levels of fatigue I experience afterwards, I invariably feel better due to the physical activity. Go figure

When I'm feeling well, I excercise as much as I can. My regimen is cardio/weights.

3 days a week- weights and short run (1-2 miles)
3 days a week - long run (3-8 miles)
1 day a week - rest up!!

This is partly due to the fact that a doctor reccomended impact sports to put calcium in the bones and not my kidneys (kidney stones).

But it has had a huuuge impact on my Crohn's Disease as well. I feel better when I excercise. And it seems it keeps me regular in the bathroom as well, which is priceless to me.

A

AgB621

I was going to ask this exact same question. I've been hearing how regular exercise is really helpful for both chronic fatigue and Crohn's, but the thing about fatigue is, the last thing you feel like doing is exercising!

The last time I worked out, after walking on the treadmill for several minutes, I made the mistake of running for two entire minutes at a whopping 4.0 mph. My heartrate was nearly 200 and I was dizzy, lightheaded, and nauseous for hours after. (This is before the infection which my doctor claims "triggered" my Crohn's.) I'm 21, I'm not overweight, a two-minute run shouldn't throw me out of commission for hours.

Does anyone else have experiences like this? I went to a cardiologist a few years back and had a stress test. Basically, he said my heart beats too fast but darn it if I know why. I want to exercise, but it's hard to want to do something you know will make you feel terrible if you aren't extremely careful in how you go about doing it.

P

pennywanna

Yes, exercise is important, reason being when you do end up in surgery, they dont have to cut thru so much fat. You heal alot quicker, and not in so much pain. I have gained weight from all the meds and then winter came -40c at a long stretch and in pain, since I am better now, on Humira, I walk on the treadmill 2 miles and the Gazelle low impact, 2 miles, maybe not every single day but it helps with my mental state, and my arthritis. I have a heart rate and pulse rate on my machine and I go slow and work my way up... with meds in your system if you go to much too fast, the blood flow makes things work faster and can make you dizzy. Yeah I have to force my self sometimes to do it but once I am done, feel great.

Penny

Im starting back at the gym on Tuesday after about 5 months off which includes time for a resection - am looking forward to it and hope its going to make me feel better - gently gently though :)

I agree with the importance of this. Leading up to my first major flare and diagnosis two months ago I did NO exercise, mostly because I was always so tired and couldn't get motivated. For the past three weeks I have been getting out and walking for about 30-40 minutes about 4 times a week along with mowing lawns gardening on other days and I'm sure it is helpful (though am on pred so that will be doing a lot too!). My body feels stronger and I have already noticed how much easier the walks are than they were to start with to the point where I could do more but am still weary of going overboard while tryinbg to heal and put weight on. Also my stomach feels better when I move aroud more as opposed to sitting/lying down.

Exercise makes me feels worse - both mentally and physically. I barely have enough energy or strength to do the 'normal' things in my life so why waste it all on exercising?

I bought a home gym to help rebuild my body. Simply put I feel my physical condition has been devastated by infection and malnutrition.

over the past three months I went from 6'1" @ 170 lbs working landscape construction 60 hours a week. To 6'1" @140 lbs and not even able to sit on my own lawn tractor for 10 minutes.

The big problem I have is getting enough calorie intake to risk expending it on exercise. I am working hard to cram in 2000 Cal which is only a maintenance level for me. I was told I need to be closer to 3,000 cal before I can spare the energy to work out :(

I sure hope I can start eating again once I have this resection done and healed. Once I'm there I think the home gym is going to be very important.

Yes exercise is important and seems to help, at least energy wise. The better shape I'm in the better I seem to be able to handle flare-ups and really bad days. Mabye it's just tolerance I have no idea. I do think it's hard to exercise during a flare-up. I have one of those dumb rubber balls and some freeweights in my (luckily large) bathroom. Sometimes during exercise I get that 5 second warning. I try to do at least 30 min a day of something that gets my heart rate up. It seems to at least help my attitude.

Yep weight bearing exercise is so important in Crohns I think. Coz of the inflamamtion and malabsorption of important minerals such as calcium were at imcreased risk of Osteoporosis, which is were your prone to fractures. Weight bearing exercise can include walking, lifting weights etc. Its best to be done about 2x a wk, focusing on all major muscle groups, 2 sets of 8-10 repetitions. Im a sport and exercise graduate so if anyone has any more questions regarding this id be happy to answer them, just message me.

Peace

MICWOOL

Hi Penny,

My name is Adriana, I have crohns desease for over 20 years. I started with humira about 20 days ago, I have had already 6 injections.

i was not feeling the abdominal pain before but after I got my last 2 injections, I am feeling worst than before.

I am having lots of abdmonal pain for the last 3 days and diarrhea. Do you think could it be the Humira??? how long did it take for you to have the benefit of Humira?

Thanks

My GI always asks if I am excercising regularly and recommends it. He said that you need to be in the best shape you can so that your body can deal with the Crohn's. It is very hard on your body and eating well and excercising can help your strength. I personally hate exercising, but I try to run 2 miles on the treadmil 3 times a week and pilates 2 days a week.

Everyone is also correct about it helping with stress. When you excercise you release hormones that affect stress levels. You have to find something to deal with stress when you have Crohn's.

I know how it is when you are so exhausted that you can't even think about exercising. I think we have all been there. In this instance I do try to do yoga, pilates, or walk my dogs a bit. Do anything you can stand to do even if it's just for 10 minutes.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Exercising is good for anyone and I don't think it effects crohns in any way due to the nature of the disease. Problems that I've come across when exercising is that much like stress, it can bring upon unwanted symptoms because exercise itself does put the body through physical stress rather than mental stress that causes physical stress. Stress is stress basically.

To me exercise is extremely important. Not only does it help me feel more energized, i don't feel as depressed when I got. I'm a big cardio person. Some days if I'm not feeling well, i will pop a couple immodium and just do 15 minutes of cardio. On good days I try to do at least 15 minutes. I do a little bit of weight training to every other day.

I am extremely fatigued a lot of the time, but I make myself get up and at least do something. That always helps me. Fighting fatigue with exercise :0)

exercise id suppose to help release toxins too. CD makes your body store many toxins. So I think exercise helps

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Penny,

My name is Adriana, I have crohns desease for over 20 years. I started with humira about 20 days ago, I have had already 6 injections.

i was not feeling the abdominal pain before but after I got my last 2 injections, I am feeling worst than before.

I am having lots of abdmonal pain for the last 3 days and diarrhea. Do you think could it be the Humira??? how long did it take for you to have the benefit of Humira?

Thanks
Hi Adrilima, sorry this is way so late, even changed my acct since then. The Humira only worked for bout 4months, it peter'd out and have been on multiple meds since then. Now I am on Methotrexate and so far seems to be helping alot better than any other med I have taken. My Gp says methotrexate is the old drug coming back to life with keeping flares down. It it isnt perfect yet but it is gettting there. When you have symptoms from a drug like you did before, it usually means the drug isnt for you. What are you taking now? Sorry for the late reply. Just saw it today. :eek:

After my surgery I feel great so I'm hitting the gym a lot and I've gained 30 pounds back!
I just want to be in shape next time this comes back, hopefully this aza does the trick for a while.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
I've had a good amount of my energy return over the past 1.5 weeks (thank you, Salofalk) and have tried to get significant exercise at least 6 days out of each 7. Have been playing tennis, swimming, and going to spin class, woo hoo! I'm slow, it hurts, 7 or maybe 8 toes fell asleep in spin class yesterday, and recovery is brutal, but it feels amazing to be moving again. I'm with Zalanicht -- hoping to be in good shape to help in the battle the next time symptoms get bad. And of course I want to get some of this extra weight off and resemble my pre-Crohn's self!

Exercise is vital to controlling Crohns

I've been dealing with this disease for 39 years now. Almost died from it in 1970 from a bowel obstruction and later complete perforation of my intestine. I started a rigorous excercise schedule after the surgery (just to get back to being able to walk right), including bike riding, weight lifting, walking, etc. Since then, thank God, I've been relatively incident free. I still stay as active as I can at my age and lately I've been taking a special natural supplement that further helps me to control the disease and helped my joint pain as well. It even has increased my energy level a lot.

Jim

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Jim and :welcome:

Wow you're a Crohnie veteran! It would be great if you could post in the Your Story Forum so it doesn't get lost in this thread. You have so much to offer this forum and I wouldn't be the only one interested in your exercise regimes and the natural supplements that have allowed you be relatively incident free for many years.

I'd really love to see you stick around so we could get to know you better and maybe "pick your brain". :lol:

Welcome aboard!

All the best,
Dusty