• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dehydration

Just a quick question. I'm drinking at least 20 litres of warter every day, I can't Figure out if its the crohns, steroids, or maybe something else. Anybody else suffering from this.

Trysha

Staff member
It would be a good idea to check with your doctor about excessive water drinking.
Sometimes it can be due to a form of diabetes called diabetes insipidus.
Feel better soon
hugs and best wishes
Trysha

I would definitely talk to your GP about this, as drinking too much water can be as dangerous as drinking too little. It can damage your kidneys as well as causing stress on other parts of your system. Unfortunately, our bodies seem to become addicted to drinking water in the same way as they can become addicted to other substances, so they stop giving us sensible signals.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yeah I think it would be a good thing to go see a doctor. I just hope he doesn't think I'm wasting his time.

Been to the doctors about the dehydration and it looks like I've got type 2 diabetis, they recon it was caused by the steroids. I had a suger level of 39, she said that was pretty high as its ment to be between 4-7. Anybody else on here diabetic, just wanted to know how they cope with both as it don't make eating thing very easy.

Sorry to hear that you are diabetic :/ Glad to know that they know what is wrong though and can start treating you.

There have been, over the past few years, a number of members with Crohn's and type 2 diabetes. I don't know how many of them are still active but I'll tag some who are, like Aura, LindsHasCrohns, carolhew, DanaD, Michele, sunflower, littlemissh