• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tests

nogutsnoglory

I have never been to a rheumatologist but all my bones and joints hurt.

I have had a dexa scan in the past showing osteopenia.

What tests are usually done to diagnose joint disorders? I hope no cat or x ray and I can do a full body MRI.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hey nogutsnoglory. :) I've had x-rays done first but that's because its required by my insurance before and MRI is done. If you don't have that requirement, then by all means go for the MRI. An x-ray will show arthritis and they can tell the type from it yet they can also do the same with an MRI. There are blood tests that test for RA if you're looking for that. My x-rays and MRIs showed that I have osteoarthritis.

I know about one that is called Vectra D. is a blood test for arhtritis . Is very expensive and blood has to be sent to their labs in California. It was order for my son, unfortunately is only for people older than 18 years old. Best wishes.