• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My cure - no really

My Cure! Dannon All Natural Yogurt. I was diagnosed around the fall of '97 and had been on medication for about 5-6 years with no real improvement. I got tired of all this BS about how I had to take "medicine" that can ruin my kidneys,to make me better. I then sarted to do some research into probiotics and how we have changed our diets over the last 100 years and our bodies don't get all the good bacteria that we need any more. .

Okay, now, what I do is lay off drinking soda (very important) because the high-fructose corn syrup isn't good for you and bad bacteria feed on sugar, also I eat 2-4 4 ounce cups of this yogurt everyday. The yogurt is the key. You must flood your sytem with the good bacteria that is in it, but it won't fix you overnight. When I first started eating it, it took about 1-2 months to make me better. I don't really like yogurt but I have to eat it to stay alive!

I tried Activia by Dannon and it doesn't seem to work as well as tha "All Natural" kind. Another neat thing about the yogurt is that it should allow you to eat milk products again if you like them. The good bacteria in yogurt is what allows you to digest the lactose in milk,Yay!

I have to go to work but please let me know how this works for any of you and remember "Dannon All Natural yogurt" and eat 2-4 4 ounce cups everyday. I will be shocked if this doesn't help you like it does me.

Chris

That yogurt is EXPENSIVE... I mean I know my Remicade is too... but it actually put me into remission again. Eating 2-4 cups a day... that's 14-28 cups a week... and 56-112 a month. $67.00-$133.28 a month at $1.19 per cup. For YOGURT. Did you know if you eat 4 a day for a year, you will have spent about $1600.00 on yogurt?

Yes for me it was that simple!!!

If you were born with a milk allergy then I don't know what to tell you. I became lactose intolerant at the onset of the Crohn's and this was due to a lack of the bacteria that help a person digest the sugars (lactose) that are in milk.

I am not saying for anyone to do what I did but I got fed up with the doctors and quit my medication and started this yogurt regimen, and it did the trick

I only ate 2 cups a day and it took 2 months to clear up my issues.

By the way, the yogurt is about $2.50 for a 4 pack and I live in Kansas City, Mo, so yes based on where you live it might cost a little more.

I think yogurt is a much better alternative than heading towards kidney failure which is what one of the medications that I was taking can cause.

Try it or don't try it. I felt obligated to share with others who are struggling with the same thing I went through. When I was sick I felt that I had to give anything and everything a try and if something proved not to work, then I quit trying it. The doctor prescribed medication proved not to work, so I moved on.

We can all argue and come up with reasons to not try something, but what if it not only works for me but also works for you. Isn't it worth trying. The other nice aspect of yogurt is that it helps to keep you from catching colds, 70% of your immune sytem is located in your intestines.

Chris

dude, credibility needed! we get a lot of new people claiming they have found a "miracle cure" of sorts.

im sorry if this is for real chris but it just seems very weird that before telling us much about yourself you just start "advertising" this yoghurt. im not convinced if im honest. i do apologize if this is for real but as i said im not convinced

Probiotics help some and not others. This really is not anything new, but it does not help everyone. The disease manifests itself differently with different people.

I am glad you found it effective in your case.

The poster brings up a good point though. It usually would takes weeks and possibly months for probiotics to have an effect. Every once in a while someone gets immediate relief.
This could be a placebo effect or possibly it does actually work that fast some times.

Probiotics are a risk free treatment that I think everyone should try. You have no side effects to worry about and it will not interfere with any other treatment.

If you can not use milk products VSL #3 is the best probiotic out there going by bacteria count.

Dan

I'm at work right now but when I get home tonight, I'll look for my medical records. I can tell you, I was prescribed Sulfasalazine at first and told by my doctor that I couldn't have milk products or greasy foods, which sucked because I LOVE milk. My dad used to say I was a milk fed calf when I was growing up because I drank it so much and having to give it up was terrible. When I became lactose intolerant I had a special type of intolerance. I could still eat cheese and cottage cheese, essentially any milk product that had been curdled, but not milk or ice cream or uncurdled milk products. This may differ from some of you.

I can't remember the name of the medicine that was prescribed to me after that because I wasn't on it long and once I found out that I had to have a blood test every week to check for kidney issues I thought, can this really be a good idea?

That's when I tried the whole probiotic thing from the health food stores and sunk probably $400-$500 into trying all these pills recommended by hollistic doctors. They didn't work either.

Then one day a copy of Prevention magazine came in the mail which is a magazine for women. My wife was given a subscription as a Christmas gift from her parents. There was an article about how yogurt had helped some women who had been diagnosed with IB and I thought, hell why not. I tried Activia from Dannon and it took,like I have said, 2 months at 2, 4 ounce cups a day to clear it up. Now I use the Dannon "All Natural" yogurt and it seems to work even faster than the Activia did.

All that I am trying to do is pass on my findings and hope that this can help some of you also. I could have kept this to myself and went on about my day to day life, but I am the type of person that wants to help others.

Try it if you want to but like I've said it's not a fast fix and it may not work for everyone. If you have a severe flare up then it can take a few months. It will take some time for the good bacteria to build up in your system and then it will take a while for you to heal.

I don't personally know anyone else who has Crohn's disease so I haven't been able to pass this on to see if it will help. All that I know is that it helps me and if someone else wants to try it and pass on their findings, then that is what needs to happen. We need to create our own little clinical trial like so many Prescription drug companies are doing these days. God knows that doctors aren't going to do a trial with something that they can't make money off of.

Chris

you don't know your own medical record??? and you don't remember ANY of the meds you were on. no one's memory is that bad, unless you have early-onset Alzheimer's.

while probiotic yogurt certainly can't hurt people with Crohn's too much, IT IS NOT A CURE.

thank you for trying to help. every other spammer has said the same thing. they suffered horribly for years and failed at meds until they found The Cure, which changed their lives. And you can try it too. Really. and you will be cured. it's true, i swear!

if you want us to take you seriously, try introducing yourself and tell us some of your history. you don't need to dig out your medical records to tell us that.

actually, don't waste your time. i reported you.

shock-fire said:
Try it if you want to but like I've said it's not a fast fix and it may not work for everyone. If you have a severe flare up then it can take a few months. It will take some time for the good bacteria to build up in your system and then it will take a while for you to heal.

Chris

i am wondering if, assuming you are genuine Chris, you actually had Crohns Disease or IBS.

with my own limited knowledge and use of pro and pre biotic yoghurts, i can actually believe they could extensively reduce symptoms of IBS.

however, i am not so convinced with Crohns Disease. we are not just dealing with bacteria issues with this disease... there is scarring, narrowing of the bowel, fissures, fistulas, anemia...... the list goes on and on.....

were you diagnosed with Crohns? and if so, how? and how did it manifest itself with you?

RHOV - pm for you.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Dannon (Danone in Canada, parent company in France) is facing a number of class action lawsuits in North America over unsubstantiated claims of health benefits in its marketing of its products.

Too bad. I actually buy Danone's products and consume yogurt on almost a daily basis (although I guess not in high enough quantities to be cured of my affliction, apparently). I do think yogurt is good for those who can tolerate it, however.

If this is some sort of stealth marketing campaign (posting on public forums) it's pretty low for a company already facing credibility issues.

I could boycott Danone I suppose, or commercial yogurt altogether. Got me one of those yogurt makers, maybe I'll dust it off. Especially if Dannon All Natural Yogurt is just plain ol' ordinary yogurt, I should be good to go with homemade, right?

Last edited:
You should be good with any type of "all natural" yogurt. Give it a shot. I tried Belfonte plain(not all natural, but yummy) and blended my own smoothies with fruit but that didn't seem to have the same effect that the other does for me. I think that one of the keys is decreasing the intake of potent non-natural sweeteners like high fructose cornsyrup because bad bacteria feed on these items and bad bacteria multiply in our colons but good bacteria have to be replenished (I read this in another health magazine during my research).

I don't work for Dannon or any one of the sort. I am a Flooring manager at a retailer in Kansas City, Mo. I am not a doctor and stand to gain absolutely nothing by sharing this with you. I am only trying to pass along my story so that someone else might benefit from it like I have.

When I was diagnosed, my Doctor said that in about 10% of his cases he couldn't tell if the patient had Crohn's or just severe IBS. Every doctors visit after the first, he called it Crohn's. So all I have to go by is the Doctors diagnosis.

I talked to my mom who's a nurse who suggested that I see my family physician who then referred me to a Gastrointerologist in Topeka, Ks who diagnosed me after a colonoscopy. He put me on Sulfasalazine which worked for a little while (9-12 months) but then my body started to "overpower" the meds. Then I was prescribed another medicine called Asacol, which i took for a while (12-18 months), which only worked off and on through that time frame. At this time I decided to change to a doctor in Kansas City where I live and this Doctor is the one who told me about the side effects of Asacol and that it can damage the kidneys. I've told the story from this point on. If any of you want the pictures of my colonoscopies then let me know, but I am telling the truth and if you are so against giving something a try, then don't. I would think that anyone who has had to deal with this like I have would be open to trying anything as I was.

I will talk more about this after I get home from work around 9:30 pm Central time

Chris

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Duuuude....

With all due respect....

DO YOU THINK WE WERE
ALL BORN YESTERDAY????

Maybe you've gotten off on the wrong foot, but it certainly sounds like you're shilling a specific product.

Glad to hear you've backed off your "endorsement" of a specific brand, and it now extends to generic, unadulterated yogurt products.

There's huge business in the emerging "nutraceuticals" field. Danone is a major international player in the yogurt category. Walking down the dairy aisle at my local Safeway, over half the shelf space is devoted to yogurts of every imaginable kind. You've got three or four major brands, plus a house brand, and maybe a local brand or two -- each with their six or seven permutations (and each of those in various flavours).

Low-fat, no-fat, calcium-enriched, fibre added, organic, probiotic, Kurdish-Style, Greek-style -- you name it. Only thing missing is a product catering to the "Extreme" segment with caffeine. I have a helluva time finding "plain ol'" which is usually tucked into the corner next to sour cream.

Nonetheless, I enjoy yogurt. It's a healthful product for the most part. I certainly don't believe it's a cure-all, though. I remember those Yoplait commercials in the 70s featuring elderly Kazak yogurt eaters, and although I was young then, I recognized the marketing for what it was.

I think you need to understand that this forum is full of folks (some on limited incomes) who've heard countless miracle claims. So I think there's a natural hostility towards those out to exploit desperate people. It's really appalling to see marketers assume we're all gullible rubes. And let's face it -- the internet is full of snake oil.

I'd consider Danone (or Dannon in the US) to be as concerned for my well-being as much as I'd trust the Coca Cola company to be.

So... Chris, rationally, can you understand our skepticism?

Last edited:
Just to clarify.. Lactose intolerance is due to a lack of an enzyme, lactase. (I'm pretty sure that is what it's called) Not a lack of bacteria, two different things.

I'm with everyone else. Probiotics can be helpful to some, but for me, the diet I am on requires that I make my own yogurt. Plus before my diet I was on this yogurt, and it didn't improve my condition at all.

Wow what a cynical group of people. How many of you have read the title to this thread before blasting me? It is called "MY CURE". This is what helps me and once again I am trying to share it with you. If you are unwilling to give it a shot, then fine. When I was a tile installer for Kenny's tile here in KC, I ran into an electrician whose daughter was 13 at the time and he told me her story about how Crohn's had widdled her away to almost nothing and put her in the hospital and I told him I hoped she would be okay. I don't know what ever happened to her but I have to try to help anyone who is willing to try this. It may not work for everyone but I have to tell you all and hope that maybe one of you skeptics will try it and hopefully you will benefit from it.

My probiotic journey started when a friend let me borrow a book called "Patient Heal Thyself" by Jordan S. Rubin I bought into his info on Probiotics and bought a bunch of his stuff from his website because I was trying to fix myself and was at the point that I was fed up with all the doctors (this is the $400-$500 that I spent on Probiotics that I stated in an earlier post). None of this worked and then Activia came out and I thought, why not? and it did the trick but it took a long time (about 2 months not 2 weeks as stated on the packaging)and I didn't really care for the taste. This is when I quit drinking soda altogether and started putting plain yogurt in with juice to make the yogurt taste better. Somewhere along the way I even tried Kefir which is a very bitter form of Probiotic drink found in health food stores that is made of fermented milk. Then I happened to try the "to remain unnamed from now on" yogurt because I noticed that it didn't have any high fructose corn syrup in it like ALL of the other yogurts did. I started eating it exclusively and have had great results.

The only reason I am telling you the specific name is because it specifically works for me. I am not going to tell you to drive a Ford if all I've ever had are Toyotas.

As far as being reported by RHOV I'll get my records if anyone wants them.
If you all want to think I'm a spammer, then fine, I doesn't matter. All that matters is that I have told my story and it is up to you guys to try to find your way.

If anyone has anything else to say to me I will continue to check back off and on. I'll call this trial by fire.

Crohns08

Please note that you are correct about the lactase thing but yogurt does have Lactase in it as well as Lactose.

Lactose-Intolerant Friendly - Lactase is an enzyme that is found in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, which breaks down lactose (milk sugar). All dairy products contain lactose, but in those who are lactose-intolerant, there is not enough lactase to break it down, resulting in bloating and cramps. As a dairy product, yogurt does contain lactose, but the live bacteria in yogurt also contains the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose making it easier for everyone (including those with lactose intolerance) to digest.

As qoted from http://www.weider.ca/powerfood/yogurt.htm

Chris

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
LOL. Missouri. That's the "Show Me" State.

OF COURSE SOME OF US ARE CYNICAL.

You make that out to be a bad thing.

Man, that Burrill Crohn sure missed the boat. Shoulda been a milkman and sold coagulated dairy products.

Glad to hear you've bought yourself a few months of relief Chris.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I think what we have a problem with is the word 'cure'.
There IS no cure for Crohn's. Remission, yes - cure no.

But dude - do you work for Dannon, or what??

Here is more interesting info from the same website.

Immune Booster - There have been numerous studies on yogurt’s beneficial effects to the immune system. In one such study (by Simin Nikbin Meydani, Ph.D., published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition – see full study), it was shown that yogurt may help make the immune system more resilient. Dr. Meydani suggests that yogurt has great potential as a protective anti-infection agent. Increased yogurt consumption may help increase one's resistance to immune-related diseases such as cancer and infection, particularly gastrointestinal infection. This increase in resistance is in part because of the live and active cultures found in yogurt.

Also quoted from http://www.weider.ca/powerfood/yogurt.htm

This website lists a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that we all might find interesting. It's pretty dry reading, though. The jist is, what I've highlited in bold and underlined above and this supports my story.

For the Love of Pete!, no! I don't work for Dannon. I'm probably going to regret this, but I work at Nebraska Furniture Mart in Kansas City, Ks, and I commute from Missori (I hate Missouri, I'm a Kansas Jayhawk stuck in Missouri Tiger land Aaaaargh!)

To answer "dingbat" I didn't even know what a anorectal fissure was until I just looked it up and yes I have probably had this but I also have internal hemorrhoids and I can't tell what's bleeding when it does all I can tell is if there is blood in the stool or blood on the tissue I don't know what specifically is bleeding. I just use my A&D ointment to aleviate the burning/pain which it does.

Wow I have never had a fistula and I don't want to after reading what that is.

I was slightly anemic though one time when I went to get a blood test for the whole Asacol Kidney damaging checkup thing.

Chris

My Butt Hurts,

Fair enough, technically remission would be the correct word I guess because when I get too busy, and don't make it to the store to get more for a few days, it starts right back up again with the onset of gas and bloating and then it pretty quickly deteriorates to bleeding and loose stool. It's at that time that I eat 4 a day to get back to "normal".

GoJohnnyGo

It hasn't been a few months, I have been eating the different types of yogurt for going on 2 years now and it really does keep it in check as long as I stay with it.
I settled on what I eat now because it was all that was available at a small grocery store outside of San Francisco Last year when my wife and I decided to go on a roadtrip to the west coast. I was having a flare up and bought enough to continue my regimen after a few days off of it, while on our vacation. It cleared it up faster than the other yogurt made "specifically" for that.

By the way I took 1700 photos during our 1 week trip if any one wants to see them. :) Yosemite National Park made me want to quit my life and be a hermit. It was truly majestic if you all have never been. Words and pictures can never do it justice

Chris

We're cynical? Really? Of course we are!

Every so often a new poster will join the forum, praising some "cure" that threw them straight into remission. Yes, some people maybe do have good results with trying natural cures and giving up on drugs, but you also display several other characteristics of spammers.

You say you have been diagnosed with Crohn's for 11 years now. Yet you have to look for your medical records? i get it that no one can remember EVERY detail, but you could have given us a brief outline of your history with Crohn's, just so we know a little more about you and to build your credibility. Instead you evaded the question.

And go back and look at your first post. You sound like you are preaching. "Yogurt is key," "you MUST do this..." Maybe you didn't mean to sound that way, but then again...

If you weren't trying to convert us to Dannon-worshippers, you could have taken a less proselytizing tone. Introduce yourself, tell us a bit about yourself, maybe mention that you've gotten some relief from yogurt. Don't tell everyone what they should be doing. If yogurt worked for you, great! But to say that you'll be "shocked" if we don't see the same results you supposedly did is a red flag. It's like you're saying "Yogurt is magic! It will cure you! I guarantee it!" BS.

Someone else brought up the fact that you are calling yogurt your "cure." If you area a Crohn's patient (especially for 11+ years) you should know by now that Crohn's does not have a cure. Sorry to burst your bubble. Drugs or natural remedies can give us remission, but nothing is a cure.

If you aren't trying to sell something or do something other than praise yogurt, why haven't you posted in any other thread but this one?

If you are legit, then i apologize, but when you make an entrance to the forum the way you did, can you blame the suspicions and cynicism?

As quoted by GoJohnnyGo

"I'd consider Danone (or Dannon in the US) to be as concerned for my well-being as much as I'd trust the Coca Cola company to be".

The sad part is that no one tends to care for our well-being anymore except for ourselves, our friends and our family. My wife recently had a REALLY heavy period and she called her doctor's office who she sees for that and they told her to go to the ER. THE ER?!! They don't know her history. Who the F wants to go to an Emergency room if they could have simply gotten an answer in 2 minutes from their doctor. Who can afford that. When our population wasn't so out of control and each doctor had a lot less patients, they cared about us, but now everyone is so damn sue happy that we can't get the true help we need.

I am in the service industry and everyday we give in to people who have an agenda and I'm tired of that. That is why I started this thread the way I did hoping that people would take it at face value. I didn't do any research into my target audience and how jaded/skeptical everyone is and for that I apologize. I wasn't good at selling Flooring when I did that either, for the same reason. It's hard to tell what kind of buyer anyone is. Some people want only the facts (which is me) and others like to be filled w/ BS that makes the product sound better than it really is.

After re-reading my first post, I sure didn't mean for it to sound as fake as it does.
I was excited to share my findings with others and to pass on the info that I have obtained.

Chris

RHOV

I worked from Noon til 9 pm and I probably shouldn't have been on at all at work but I wanted to check to see if I had received any responses. This is the first day that I have thought about trying to help others. I'm not real big into doing things online except E-bay and anything that deals with painting the miniatures that I am interested in as a hobby. I didn't expect to get so many people upset with my post, which goes to show how naive I am when it comes to this type of thing. I haven't even had a chance to look at any of the other forums yet because I type a blazing 10-20 words a minute. and I am trying to keep up with all the responses. The only other forum I belong to is full of a bunch of my Friends from the Hobby shop that I frequent here in Kansas City, and they all know me, and I guess I took it for granted and didn't think about you all not knowing me.

What is the proper way to start? Do I give my full name or just my first name do we want to keep a bit of anonymity or what.

I'm Chris and I will be 34 on December 11th and what I've been talking about has helped to keep my bowel issues in check for the last 2 years or so.

shock-fire said:
What is the proper way to start? Do I give my full name or just my first name do we want to keep a bit of anonymity or what.
hey Chris, there's no proper way to start.

some post their life story, some just start posting in a random joke thread, others hijack someone elses personal story.

if you hang around and get to know us, you'll find out how magnificently supporting and understanding the toilet dwellers on this part of the internet are.

most people here, myself included, are often very skeptical and abrasive to people who's first post reads like an advert.

many here have had a very hard time with this damn disease, and bloods boil when the word "cure" is mentioned, we've had many. just look at some of the ads that appear on the tops of the pages.

but if you're the real deal, then welcome, apologies for my earlier skepticism and its a pleasure to have you with us.

Jed

Last edited:

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hi everyone,

First welcome to the forum shock-fire. I wanted to remind everyone on the forum of the rules against harassment, abuse or threats of any kind. While we all are on the look out for spammers, lets remember that at the end of the day people want to come on here and share their experiences with all of us. If someone benefits from a steroid drug, we usually do not assume they work for the steroid company right? :)

While I understand how you can get angry and how we all have had our hopes raised in the past only to be disappointed, we need to understand that other's personal experiences are not what is right for everyone, but are merely a retelling of someone else's experiences.

Please PM if you have any questions.

i love that post Jed ;)

i am also going to give Chris the benefit of my doubt...

i don't think yoghurt is a cure for Crohns, and i have difficulty believing that it keeps all Crohns symptoms at bay as long as the person takes it...

but life is too short to push people away from us for no reason other than our past experiences with other posters who turned out to be spammers.

i hope Chris is genuine, and posting for the right reasons, and i hope he sticks around & lets us get to know him better.

eta: i was typing as you posted Mike - absolutely agree.

Hi Chris and welcome... sorry for the rocky reception you got at first too.

Can't say yoghurt is gonna cure my crohns as I have a milk intolerance. Get bloating, cramps and diahorrea minutes after eating any. Pity, because I really used to like it - but it makes sense about why I used to feel sick after only a couple of mouths of milkshake!

I really hope it keeps on working for you. Do you think it's the probiotics in it? I've seen that some people here swear by them. I've tried them, but the ones I bought (expensive as hell) had gluten in them. I'm intolerant to that too. Wasn't on the bottle, but the company 'fessed up when I rang them.... Grrrr!

Keep posting, just don't ram your cure down our throats as what works for some wont work for others... just like any treatment.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Ladies - you can put yogurt right on you 'you-know-what', topically if you have a yeast infection 'you-know-where'.

edit - I do NOT reccommend that with battery acid.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
shock-fire said:
It hasn't been a few months, I have been eating the different types of yogurt for going on 2 years now and it really does keep it in check as long as I stay with it.
I only ate 2 cups a day and it took 2 months to clear up my issues.
If all it took was a daily regimen of a readily-available, common grocery item there'd be no pharmaceutical industry.

Apples are good for you too. However, suggesting they are a panacea for whatever ails ya is naive.

I think it's great that you've found a foodstuff that is easily digestible and has healthful properties. And there's nothing wrong with sharing that discovery here -- it's a good sounding board for that sort of thing.

But you're not cured Chris. Sorry.

Geez. Sure does sound like a 'cure-all'. Up the privates, up the butt, down
the throat. Does that poop up the butt work the same way- can you eat the
poop and be 'cured' too? :ylol2:
yeah, I'll pass.
:yrolleyes:

Shock-fire,

Yes, we are all cynical because you aren't the first to promote one specific product as the cure. There is no cure. There are things that can help you go into remission and stay in remission for awhile, but eventually flare ups come back.

Actually you can get by with eating certain cheeses if you are lactose intolerant. I am lactose intolerant and I am on the SCD. I eat the cheeses I am allowed, and how often I am allowed, and cheese hasn't bothered me in a long time. This is without taking addition lactase.

As for the proper way to start.. Well, Jed pretty much covered that.

Thank you all for the welcome and thank you mikeyarmo for coming to my aid. I was about ready to throw in the towel and go on about my life w/o this forum.

How many of you guys/gals became Lactose intolerant at the onset of the Crohn's?

GJohnnyGo,

I'm sorry I mistitled this thread, I should have called it "how I keep myself in remission" but when I think remission I always equate it with Cancer not with my situation (I know that probably sounds wierd). This is probably due to the lack of people that I know that have Crohn's and probably a little denial on my part especially because I've had good luck with my own research and findings. The truth is, I don't want to eat the yogurt every day I want to eat waffles with syrup or eggs and bacon and sausage, I love breakfast sausage, but if I eat the greasy items then I have to pour even more yogurt down my throat to counteract it. It does get really old, but it's what I do.

Chris

Last edited:

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
shock-fire said:
Thank you all for the welcome and thank you mikeyarmo for coming to my aid. I was about ready to throw in the towel and go on about my life w/o this forum.
With all due respect to Mike, it's possible to have serious reservations about a particular viewpoint without resorting to ad hominem attacks. It's called debate, which is still allowed.

shock-fire said:
How many of you guys/gals became Lactose intolerant at the onset of the Crohn's?
I imagine it has something to do with the onset of adulthood, when many develop the intolerance, including those without Crohn's Disease. Late teens in my case -- the better part of a decade before my Crohn's manifested itself.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
shock-fire said:
I'm sorry I mistitled this thread, I should have called it "how I keep myself in remission" but when I think remission I always equate it with Cancer not with my situation (I know that probably sounds wierd).
I myself enjoyed an exceptionally long period of Crohn's remission (15+ years with little difficulty) during which time I have maintained a sensible, well-balanced diet (avoiding fads along the way). By no means am I a nutrition freak, but I have found it, well, the sensible thing to do.

Hasn't prevented this second mid-40's flareup, BTW.

So no, diet (or any particular food) is not the cure. It's just a way of life. It just makes sense to eat a healthy diet over an unhealthy one.

Last edited:
shock-fire said:

GJohnnyGo,

I'm sorry I mistitled this thread, I should have called it "how I keep myself in remission" but when I think remission I always equate it with Cancer not with my situation (I know that probably sounds wierd). This is probably due to the lack of people that I know that have Crohn's and probably a little denial on my part especially because I've had good luck with my own research and findings. The truth is, I don't want to eat the yogurt every day I want to eat waffles with syrup or eggs and bacon and sausage, I love breakfast sausage, but if I eat the greasy items then I have to pour even more yogurt down my throat to counteract it. It does get really old, but it's what I do.

Chris
You'll have to forgive our skepticism. We're a tight knit group of folks as you'll find out hopefully if you stick around =)

We've had a hard time with spammers and people who seem to want to point us to their "cure all" to Crohn's and we've heard it so many times from so many people that it's sort of like being cut off in traffic, you lose it sometimes.

Many of us do have some sort of probiotic regime we follow, it's good to hear that yogurt works for you, indeed increasing the good intestinal flora can't hurt anyone.

Maybe introduce yourself in the intro/story section and read a bit and see that we're really not nasty, promise =) None of us bite, except for maybe Kev.

I became intolerant at the onset of Crohn's which is what has led me to my regimen. I started taking Lactaid for about a year or so prior to the yogurt thing because I can't and won't live without milk products. And it did what it said it was supposed to do. Lactaid is simply Lactase in pill form and allows you to digest milk products. Has anyone else given this stuff a try? I am curious of other people's experiences.

Chris