• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New entry from Germany

Hi @ all!

My name is Andy, I'm from Germany.

You might wonder what I'm searching in an English speaking Crohn's forum, then.

I have a severe Crohn's history but managed to get back to a healthy state. I'm currently about 15 years totally free of any medication and about 13 years free of Crohn's symptoms. I'm a naturopath now and wrote several books on the topic of IBD in German. I also started a website dedicated to holistic and naturopathic approaches to Crohn's and ulcerative colitis.

While my website is, of course, German and actually pretty complete (articles, newsletter, books, links ecc.) I recently decided to have an English section and to write an English E-Book. And that's the main reason why I'm here.

I consider my English pretty decent, nonetheless I might be missing one or the other special expression, which you'd not find in a normal dictionary, let alone an online one. This is not about the "one cure for all" you probably heard about many times and you surely are sick and tired of, this is fundamental medical research in detox, supplementing and nutrition. There is no such thing as "one cure for all". This is actually a request of mine for help which I'll need from time to time. In return, I'd like to share some insights I gained into the diseases with you over the years, if you want to. So feel free to ask me questions.

All the best,

Andy

Don't be shy to reply...

Maybe you're not used to stories of success but rather to stories of pain and suffering. Well, here is some:

In my worst times, I was down to about 105 pound @ 6ft2, or 50kg @ 1,88m, if you prefer the metric stuff. My colon was virtually raw flesh, and my sphincter was perforated by fistula. I slithered a hair's breadth past a permanent stoma at age 17. I had abscesses the size of a milk carton, about 1 l. Fever past 104°F (40°C) lashed me for months.

You wouldn't believe, however...absolutely, if you'd see me now. I'm well past 210 pounds (96 kg) @the same size and I'm very muscular. 10.000 scoville units wouldn't bother my bowel for a dime and fistula and abscesses are an ugly, but nonetheless "historical" remainder.

My total recovery was no matter of some "miracle" supplement or healing herb. It took me years of hard work, pain and effort to get rid of the disease. I went through harsh detox processes, years of slender diet from vegan with some brown rice and very few veggies through raw food and fasting. I learned and applied homeopathy and acted a guinea pig for my own detox experiments. I worked out my body until self-abandonment. I had many setbacks but then, it was worth the pain, for now I hardly feel my body at all. I am by now 42 years old and feel very well. Even the joint inflammations I had during my clinical history are by now weak and pale issues I hardly feel.

The interesting thing I learned all those years is that one's Crohn's disease is as individual as his / her fingerprint. I learned what worked very well for me worked for some others, too, but not for all. The more I learned about the diseases the more my next step became clear: to develop a kind of "disease typing" for IBD.

This work is done by now and published in (German) books. I'll have to do in English, though. And as mentioned above, I might need your help on that. Perhaps you also know about supplements or herbal medicine that is entirely uncommon in Germany or the other way around: good stuff that we know here might be a total stranger to you. These are some of the issues I want to clear before publishing the English E-Book.

So far, Andy

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. :)

It certainly sounds as if you have had a long and at times arduous journey and it is good to hear that you have finally found personal success.

Are you willing to share more about how you have achieved that success?

The reason I ask is that the primary goal of this forum is to freely and openly offer support and information. If you have published that information in a book and therefore don't wish to discuss it openly on a public forum then you will not be able to solicit or direct the members here to your ebook for further information as stated in the following forum rule:

*The sale of items and services are not allowed in threads, posts, signatures, or private messages. Requests for donations are not allowed in threads and posts, however you are allowed to have a short note and link in your signature about your legitimate charity. We realize this may seem uncaring but that is far from the truth. We feel such threads and posts could interfere with our cardinal rule that this is a support forum first and foremost.
I sincerely hope you are able to provide the members here with a more in-depth insight into what has helped you overcome the adversities of this disease.

Dusty.

Hi, Dusty,

I have no intention to sell anything, the (planned) E-Book is for the trickle of foreign visitors (at the moment very few) that visit my site. I have some posts coming in from the states, from norway, the UK, from south africa ecc. and I am unaware that, for example, humic acid is in use anywhere in an English speaking country as a natural remedy. Five years ago, I've been one of the few who introduced its usefulness in natural treatment of IBD's in Germany.

There are some more issues like that.

Occasionally, I will pick several threads out of the forum and post my opinion. Depends on the time I can afford.

My story is tedious and a strain, but if you wish, I'll copy it into the forum. There are many details which I still recall.

I hope I made my intentions clear.

Andy

Andy,

My first question is, do you believe lactose contributes to the disease?
We have found that our daughter does so much better without it. But at this time we are also doing Remicade, Asacol and another medication.

Natural is great and hope to get there someday.

I am sure you are busy with your own site, but any great advice is appreciated!!
take care

Andy,

My first question is, do you believe lactose contributes to the disease?
We have found that our daughter does so much better without it. But at this time we are also doing Remicade, Asacol and another medication.

Natural is great and hope to get there someday.

I am sure you are busy with your own site, but any great advice is appreciated!!
take care
Hi Julie,

Lactose intolerance can appear before the diseases or as a consequence of compromised digestive ability. Remember, lactose is a disaccharide that need to be broken down before digestion by enzymes. These enzymes are to be found in the small intestine. Intolerances are hardly ever real causes of IBD's, they contribute to the symptoms.

I only can speak for central Europe, here we have about 40% lactose intolerance among adults, Crohn's and UC patients have to somewhere between 80 and 90% of these intolerances.

Entering the colon undigested, di- and polysaccharides contribute to an anormal acidity which triggers a condition called "fermentation dyspepsia" in the colon. Normally, colon mucosa is slightly acidic but not much, in case it becomes too acidic there is some neuronal trigger that pulls liquid off the lymphatic tissue into the colon, which causes the stool to thin out and thus, diarrhea.

A hint for this condition is a sour odour in the restrooms after a meal containing the not tolerated sugars. Skipping these sugars consequently tips the colon's pH levels towards normal, which means some relief for an IBD patient.

I hope that was useful and gives you a hint of what I know and how I work.

That for today :ysmile:

Andy

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Thanks Andy. :)

Yes, you have made your intentions clear. I look forward to seeing you around the forum and the information you are able to provide the community here. I also hope that you are able to find information that is new and of interest to you here as well.

Dusty.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Since you're still having symptoms Vigguz (the joint pain is still present) I'm wondering if you actively see a GI and have regular testing done to make sure that all is well on the inside rather than going by symptoms alone.

Crabby, I think you misunderstood.

There is NO MORE inflammation present in my body, that's tested and that's clear and reported even by a doctor years ago who had me as a patient when I was ill.

I had an inflammation of the sacrum many years ago, and for the reason my flexibility in the lower back is a little bit restricted, that's all. There is a tiny bit of a damage in my knees, but that's the kind of damage, say: "I can't squat with 200 pounds on my back" - I'd do it from my muscular power with ease, but not from my joints. (I can, however, squat a hundred times without a weight on my back...)

Last time I saw a doctor for examination was in 2003. I state: "Your intestine is as healthy as it can be...there is NO MORE Crohn's."

Since I am a naturopath, the ONLY doctor I go to is the dentist :ysmile:

So no need to worry, then :wink:

Andy

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Vigguz there's plenty of need to worry. Those who are in remission should be having regular testing done every few years such as scopes (generally every 2-5 years) because inflammation doesn't always show up in blood or fecal tests and also because those who have Crohn's are at a greater risk of developing colon cancer.

For me personally I love proof that people are in fact in remission rather than going by symptoms alone otherwise I have a real hard time accepting their alternative treatment methods. We would ALL love to not take medication, myself included so if there's a way to go into remission without meds then for me I need proof. A clean bill of health from 9 years ago is not proof that can be used now. It means you were doing great 9 years ago but what about now?

I'm not trying to come down on you at all but other people read this forum and I don't want anyone to feel that once their symptoms are gone or are down to a minimum then its ok to stop seeing their GI for regular testing.

Crabby, as I already told I'm not here to convert anybody towards naturopathy, nor to convince you or anybody else of naturopathy. The main reason why I'm here is to exchange info with English speaking IBD patients about supplements, medication that might be different from those available in Germany, that I'll get things right in my English E-Book (which, as a matter of fact, also contains the conventional medicine stuff from NPOV).

I won't keep you, nor anybody else in this forum back from regular checks and taking medication. In the very beginning I was that naive trying to convince people in German forums from my "natural" way of getting healthy. It didn't succeed. One simply can't go anywhere and convert others to his lifestyle.

But if you're concerned and worried about your health that's a personal thing for you. You don't have to believe my ANYTHING. You have your quarrely and troubles and worries, so you have to care about them. The matter of the fact is this: I took my last medication (apart from some natural remedies) in 1998. I went though my process, I saw the fevers vanish, the blood in my stool, the mucus, I took the kleenex out of my underpants one morning and I found it to be dry as the Atacama, and the fistula and eczema never returned. This is my success and it's personal. One can't transfer a personal success one to one to somebody else. I learned a lot about these diseases after my cure, and in fact, realized that I had to start all over new with new books, because my first one, which sold about 10.000 copies in Germany, Austria and Switzerland was outdated. Perhaps in a few years I've gained even more knowledge and have to start all over again.

In Germany, I have the status of a state certified health professional, but there is also a law after which I only may diagnose and treat a person if I saw and met her personally.

No personal offence...but people just as you made me retreating from my former health forum activity. It's up to you whether I'll stay here and communicate with you or leave and continue my thing.

Andy

Welcome to the forum Herr Vigguz.

So, if I were in the same condition as you at your all time low, what are the first steps you recommend I take?

Thanks

Hi M30.

First of all, Vigguz is a nickname. Don't know why I came across this one. Found it simply funny. Sounds like "vicious". My actual name is Andy. As opposed to my nick I'm rather harmless :)

How to act as actually "healed" you can't reduce to a Knigge guide. First of all: don't let bring anybody you down. Always remember: "There is no cure for an IBD" is a nowaday belief, no more, no less. Simply think about earth was believed to be flat before Galileo discovered it was round. That doesn't mean it was flat before.

Imagine somebody comes along in 10 or 20 years and discovers an ultimate cure for Crohn's or UC. Does that mean that it was incurable before? No, it was what Doctors TOLD you, because they pick from state-of-the-art medicine possibilities. In the states, the book "the makers diet" by Jordan S. Rubin was a smashing success. I know because I know the German translater personally. He claims himself being totally free of Crohn's symptoms.

It pretty much depends on how the symptoms vanish. In my case, it was clear:

1. I NEVER believed Crohn's to be incurable. Never!
2. I had a systematic plan how to proceed
3. My progresses related very good to that what I did
4. I analyzed myself over and over again during the process

And if you are, as me, tortured by fistula for years and pus flowing out of the anus every day and one day it simply stops - and never starts again - and you have an analysis of what you did to contribute to it...and it's the same matter with any other ailment, then you gain enough self-confidence to state "I am healthy. You might think what you want about this being incurable."

I've seen some cases of spontaneous remission, also. Of people who did not contribute consciously to their health. This is absolutely rare, but it does happen. In this case, you don't have security as in mine. But it can stay for years, even decades, and, if you're exceptionally lucky, the IBD doesn't return (doesn't make you invulnerable, though...). Sometimes these spontaneous remissions are linked to major hormonal changes, such as menopause. There are no specific rules.

First of all, you're not invulnerable. So care about your lifestyle. Don't eat junk. Do what is recommended for an average healthy person. Nutrition, exercise, relaxation. I did Wing Chun for years but now my preferences altered, so now I run and do workout in the garden, without machines. I eat tons of greens, drink coconut milk, eat rice with veggies and fish, and I love curries. On rare occasions, I eat white chocolate, and it doesn't harm me at all, as don't the curries. But then, I can't eat white chocolate every day, because I have to care for my weight and all the possibilities of chronic ailments like diabetes. There's no harm from my gut I'd have to exspect. There are the factors to consider that affect ordinary people.

I am exceptionally lucky for living in a harmonious marriage. We don't have quarrels and stress because we accept each other as we are. This contributes to a good state of health, too.

Don't be dishonest to yourself. As long as you have to take any medication to maintain a status of well-being, you're not cured, even though if it is totally natural. If you have to take probiotics to be symptom-free and the symptoms return, if you skip them, you can't consider yourself cured. I've been in that "in-between" status, too...for 2 or 3 years. Then I realized I did not need them anymore, and I did very well without any supplements or natural meds.

I hope I understood right and that it's been helpful to you.

Andy

Andy,

Debating natural means to medication is good. It lets all of us see both sides. Dont be discouraged by it all. Everyone on this forum offers valuable information.

I personally believe that it is the medications that are NEEDED to get Crohns under control, and then we can move to more natural means. they go together.

What you are offering is so great. How can you not want to help others when it has worked so well for you.

(But people often feed off of the misery of others, so we all have to be careful of scams too)

If all goes well, my daughter will be in remission soon, and we would love to read your e-book.

Like you said, there seems to be no one right answer for everybody. I would like to think everyone who follows your recommendations would go into remission, but everyone is different... and often have many symptoms, some requiring surgery, that need to be taken care by the medical profession.

thanks so much
Julie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi M30.

First of all, Vigguz is a nickname. Don't know why I came across this one. Found it simply funny. Sounds like "vicious". My actual name is Andy. As opposed to my nick I'm rather harmless :)

How to act as actually "healed" you can't reduce to a Knigge guide. First of all: don't let bring anybody you down. Always remember: "There is no cure for an IBD" is a nowaday belief, no more, no less. Simply think about earth was believed to be flat before Galileo discovered it was round. That doesn't mean it was flat before.

Imagine somebody comes along in 10 or 20 years and discovers an ultimate cure for Crohn's or UC. Does that mean that it was incurable before? No, it was what Doctors TOLD you, because they pick from state-of-the-art medicine possibilities. In the states, the book "the makers diet" by Jordan S. Rubin was a smashing success. I know because I know the German translater personally. He claims himself being totally free of Crohn's symptoms.

It pretty much depends on how the symptoms vanish. In my case, it was clear:

1. I NEVER believed Crohn's to be incurable. Never!
2. I had a systematic plan how to proceed
3. My progresses related very good to that what I did
4. I analyzed myself over and over again during the process

And if you are, as me, tortured by fistula for years and pus flowing out of the anus every day and one day it simply stops - and never starts again - and you have an analysis of what you did to contribute to it...and it's the same matter with any other ailment, then you gain enough self-confidence to state "I am healthy. You might think what you want about this being incurable."

I've seen some cases of spontaneous remission, also. Of people who did not contribute consciously to their health. This is absolutely rare, but it does happen. In this case, you don't have security as in mine. But it can stay for years, even decades, and, if you're exceptionally lucky, the IBD doesn't return (doesn't make you invulnerable, though...). Sometimes these spontaneous remissions are linked to major hormonal changes, such as menopause. There are no specific rules.

First of all, you're not invulnerable. So care about your lifestyle. Don't eat junk. Do what is recommended for an average healthy person. Nutrition, exercise, relaxation. I did Wing Chun for years but now my preferences altered, so now I run and do workout in the garden, without machines. I eat tons of greens, drink coconut milk, eat rice with veggies and fish, and I love curries. On rare occasions, I eat white chocolate, and it doesn't harm me at all, as don't the curries. But then, I can't eat white chocolate every day, because I have to care for my weight and all the possibilities of chronic ailments like diabetes. There's no harm from my gut I'd have to exspect. There are the factors to consider that affect ordinary people.

I am exceptionally lucky for living in a harmonious marriage. We don't have quarrels and stress because we accept each other as we are. This contributes to a good state of health, too.

Don't be dishonest to yourself. As long as you have to take any medication to maintain a status of well-being, you're not cured, even though if it is totally natural. If you have to take probiotics to be symptom-free and the symptoms return, if you skip them, you can't consider yourself cured. I've been in that "in-between" status, too...for 2 or 3 years. Then I realized I did not need them anymore, and I did very well without any supplements or natural meds.

I hope I understood right and that it's been helpful to you.

Andy
To confirm, I should not eat junk, pray for menopause, and keep a harmonious marriage.

Sounds too easy except the menopause part.

Your response is elaborate but lacking value relative to the effort you put forth. Are you unable to divulge the simple detail, steps, timelines, inputs, outputs? If there is a book, your last name should lead us to it. Hopefully it can be purchased from an online source that allows reviews (like amazon)

I have high hopes as do all the rest of us in the world.

I believe that diet has a lot to do with Crohns, I am changing my diet recently to test this theory I would love any input you have about how you changed yours. Natural is so much better than just taking meds, although I do agree that we may need them to get things under control.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Vigguz stating that you're cured doesn't make it so. If you flare up in another year or two what then? No one ever said that a cure is never possible just that there has not been a proven cure as of yet.

I could easily state that surgery is a cure for Crohn's since I haven't had a flare since my resection 14 years ago. 14 years of remission. I'd never dare to say that I was cured. I'm lucky, that's all.

Hello,

Here's my story which me brought to a healthy state:

In spring 1997 I had my last flareup that hospitalized me. I had an abscess on my left flank as a result of a fistula from the colon descendens. This always was the area where the Crohn's affected me the most. In hospital, the abscess was opened and I got a drainage. I had an open wound of a good 2 1/2 inches depth and 6 inches broad, and the fistula was still there.

I received high dose cortisone and I had a small part of my colon, about 8 inches, where the fistula was located, removed. I still had this open wound and though it was clean, it took ages to heal. I went to the hospital for regular wound care, and the doctor suggested me I should have a secondary wound suture. I accepted and went through it, yet wondered why I received no antibiotics. Doctor told me there was no necessity, since the wound was clean.

A week later, my closed drainage fistula opened and pus emerged. Again, I went to hospital and complained my suspect they didn't work "clean". The doctor in charge refused taking any responsitility and stated that I developed a new fistula, and wanted to hospitalize me again. They mad an enteroklysma and didn't find anything. I quarreled with the doctor and ordered my papers, went out of the hospital.

After a week of fasting the fistula, which was indeed due to unsterile work, healed, and I started contemplating. There must be a way to cure it!

Yet, I had no idea where to start, until my mom gave me an article about dieting. It was called "the mucus free diet". This diet banned gluten, egg, dairy, pork meat, nuts, sugar and hydrogenated plant oils and was "alkaline", that is mostly vegetarian.

I went to a lecture of the author and found myself confronted with a person who was skinny and pale, the opposite of what I wanted to look like, so I was confused. I still was pretty weak and I wanted to gain weight, but nonetheless tried out.

So my diet became very restrictive. I ate: brown rice, a "selected" bunch of vegetables, sprouts, some fruit (mostly berries), and poultry and fish one or two times a week. Vegetables were broccoli, carrots, beets, fennel, soy sprouts and surprisingly nightshade veggies, tomato, zucchini, eggplant and bell peppers (the mild ones, of course). I tolerated moderate spicing pretty well. I had olive oil and coconut oil and was convinced to have sufficient Omega-3's from the fish I ate. However, since Germany is rather a cool country, I avoided exotic fruits. I tolerated olives and avocado very well, and ate salmon and trout and mackerel and sardine, but avoided seafood such as crabs and lobster. I drank water and herbal tea and that was it.

The first thing I realized on this diet was my stool was becoming less "smeary". Then I met another supplementation and nutrition expert by the name of Dr. Jentschura, and he recommended I should "alkalize" my body with a variety of teas and supplements.

A few monthes on this procedure I felt, let's say, average, then it started: I felt weird on a weekend when I'd been to a public swimming pool, and some weeks later there seemed to be a new flare up: I got fever, joint pain and diarrhea. But there was one thing: I never had blood nor mucus in my stools. This was in spring and summer 1998, and I had a bit of a panic (mostly due to the high fever), so I dragged myself to an old and very experienced naturopath who researched me and stated that I was in a phase of detox! He offered me his assistance and with some homeopathic and herbal remedies, I went through.

It was a day in August 1998 when ALL symptoms disappeared from one day to another! The fever stopped, my stools went perfectly formed and without any hint of smell.

I still have to say I wasn't experienced at all and really anxious, but not as anxious to return to the hospital.

I the period after I slowly gained weight and had a good period, but some minor issues. Eczema and a fistula for some period, not very long. I occasionally had fever but my guts did quite well. I must explain, that at this period (since I had left the hospital in fact) I did not take any conventional medication any more.

Then there was a period where I experimented to refine my diet. I was not really totally healthy and I blamed it to my diet, first. So I went mad with my nutrition the next one or two years, tried vegan and finally, raw food. It didn't make it better, instead, left me exhausted and - that seemed very strange to me - surprisingly congested in my raw food period. There were times I went to the restrooms twice a week! Yes, on raw food!

Still, my condition was somewhat shy from perfect, and some anal eczema kept coming. Then I remembered my old pal's words that nutrition and dieting is only part of the issue, yet the lump of it is due to environmental medicine. So I experimented with several other ways of detox and finally tried the Dr. Klinghardt heavy metal detox.

After a few weeks, my eczema vanished and so did the occasional fever, which I had every two monthes for a day or two. Ever since, I never had any Crohn's symptoms. The final act I recall was a homeopathic thyroid gland regulation and my weight "exploded", I gained 30 pound within 6 weeks. Without altering my diet, of course.

Though any reminders of Crohn's vanished (and never returned) my curiosity kept on. I asked myself:

"Every naturopath states that veganism and raw food is superior to any other diet when it comes to natural health - so why I feel best with small supplies of animal protein but worse when I'm vegan or raw vegan?"

I did further research on that and met a guy by the name of Peter Koenigs, who was European chief instructor in metabolic typing. He offered to test me and he also educated me in this kind of nutritional and dieting science. The outcome was I was a "carb type" but not 100%. I had a 70% score for the carb type and 30 for protein.

That brought me to an Idea: what, if IBD's are not specific diseases but rather a bunch of symptoms that can emerge of totally contrary metabolic situations? What if an autoimmune reaction as well as a weakness of the immune system can lead to Crohn's or UC? Why does conventional medicine blame the genes though the diseases exploded in incidence during the 80's of last century?

Several more questions aroused and I made up my own theories concerning the IBD's. I had my first book released based on the knowledge I had when I started metabolic typing in 2005. In 2011 I found them outdated and picked myself and wrote new ones, which are on sale in German since June last year.

I stated I am currently writing an English E-Book of which I hope I'll be done in summer 2013.

This book should contain a collection of useful dietary supplements and natural remedies. And again, I'm here to explore the differences between common natural remedies in Germany and in the U.S., the UK and Canada.

This is why I need your help. Makes things easier for me. You're the experts on supplementing. In my German books and articles, I have mentioned about a dozen supplements and natural remedies that work very well, after what I experienced so far.

I don't want to write BS and what use of a natural remedy that's on sale here in Germany, if it isn't in the U.S. and I send an enquirer out to get it?

O.k., that was pretty long but I hope not L-E-N-G-T-H-Y... :smile:

Andy

David

Co-Founder
Hi Andy,

Welcome to the community! Thanks for joining. I can see that you've spent a tremendous amount of time educating yourself which I respect a great deal.

Out of curiosity, if you stopped your diet and taking supplements and whatever other treatment(s) you're engaging in, do you think your IBD would come back over time?

All my best to you.

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the community! Thanks for joining. I can see that you've spent a tremendous amount of time educating yourself which I respect a great deal.

Out of curiosity, if you stopped your diet and taking supplements and whatever other treatment(s) you're engaging in, do you think your IBD would come back over time?

All my best to you.
Hello David,

No, I actually started to loosen my dietary regimen several years ago. I started to eat gluten and egg and some dairy - our landlord has chicken and therefore, we have a satisfying organic egg supply :wink: - and it didn't do me any harm, and still doesn't. I do a moderate detox twice or three times a year with herbal teas and some homeopathic remedies, not that much for Crohn's but rather to maintain overall health.

What I did not change since my "Crohn's pastimes" is:

- I do not drink during meals (and half an hour before and after them)
- I drink filtered water, tea, juices with mineral water on occasion
- I care to eat mostly unprocessed, natural food
- I limit sweets, though I'd tolerate them limitless (I tried, therefore I know!) as regards my gut. However, my weight goes up to dangerous levels - crushed 220 pounds already in my "fat" phases!

I'm still astonished how good I tolerate hot, spicy food. I love Thai curries and if anyway, I hardly notice any difference. If the curry contains cashews it would rather make my congested than anything else :wink: has happened already I ate a pot of 10.000 scoville units curry all for myself and did not have to go to the restrooms for 48 hours (and when it finally came, it was as normal as it could be). Sounds incredible - but it's true! (I know I am exceptionally lucky with this!).

Wishing you well, Andy

Cool. Thanks for sharing some insight into your life and how you have progressed.

What is the purpose for not drinking liquid 30 minutes before or after eating?

Is it supposed to allow the stomach more time to put the acids to use?

Thanks again

What is the purpose for not drinking liquid 30 minutes before or after eating?

Is it supposed to allow the stomach more time to put the acids to use?

Thanks again
Hi, M30,

This is about not to dilute your digestive enzymes. Back in the end phase of my inflammation I was told not to drink half an hour before eating and an hour after. It makes the enzymes work better in splitting nutrients and therefore, also makes life easier for the small intestine to absorb. I eased up a bit on this one, but in restaurants I'm looked upon as an alien :biggrin:

No matter, still feels better after all that years, and you won't get off a habit you'd been used to for a long time.

You're welcome.

Spooky1

Hi, Andy, and welcome,

does it matter if we have had substancial intestine removed? I really can't eat half of what you have listed. anorexia worked well when i was a teenager but that's no way to live! I have never been in remission and therefore would like to know how much your ebook will be. Some of us would do anything for a cure. I too have tried every diet but nothing has worked, anorexia aside.

best wishes, and pleased you're healthy

Hello Spooky1,

I feel sorry for you and I really realize how much I've been spared. My personal goal is a bargain of about 10 Euro, that is 12 USD or about 8,50 British Pound. Don't know how much the editor wants, but guess it'll be under 20 USD sell price.

Now to answer your question:

Until one third of the small intestine removed and about one-half of the colon, it should work out, if inflammation is low or nonexistent. Fuss with the SBS (short bowel syndrome, is that the right expression?) usually starts if either more than 40% of the small intestine, 50% or more of the colon and / or large parts of the end section of the small intestine is removed. The latter is the area where B12 is absorbed and bile acid is "recycled". If that doesn't work out you'd have a condition called bilic diarrhea, which is extremely uncomfy (it burns!).

There are two major issues: fiber and fatty acids.

Remember, there are two kinds of fiber: soluble ones and insoluble ones. Insoluble ones are in whole grains and work to balance the water household in your colon, make your stool more voluminous and less dense. This kind of fiber is the first one you have to cut down (drastically). Soluble ones are in fruits, berries, leafy vegetables and less so in other vegetables, too. The soluble fiber is transformed into short-chain fatty acids by colon bacteria. They also synthesize Vitamin K2, which is extremely important for blood coagulation and calcium metabolism.

So you usually won't cut down on soluble fiber. There is, however, the issue of not having it properly cut down either or inflammation in colon makes it unmanageable to synthesize the short-chain fatty acids or the flora is altered or a mixture of these things. So you have to find a way to make soluble fiber "manageable".

The best form I worked out is the green smoothie. You need a powerful blender to split the cellulose and make the soluble fiber freely available for the weakened colon (NO, Crabby, I DON'T sell blenders :) ). The green leafy vegetables contain Vitamin K1, which is also helpful.

Then there's the issue of fatty acids. Middle chained fatty acids and short chained fatty acids are easier to digest than long-chained ones. However, middle- and short chained polyunsatured fatty acids turn rancid easily. I, and plenty of my mates, use coconut oil to meet the target. As for the polyunsatured ones, you need one-to-one relation between the Omega-3's and the Omega-6.

You might consider taking a Omega-3-supplement OR you might cut down on Omega-6. Since these fatty acids are both essential, you'll need the equivalent of one tblspoon of plant oil to achieve. Your best choice on this is high quality organic hemp oil - flaxseed oil is the obvious option, but this particular oil gets rancid very easily.

Remember not to heat up polyunsatured fatty acids, otherwise their health benefits get lost.

Now please, could you help me on that one?

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=45807

Andy

Spooky1

Hi, Andy,

thanks for the lengthy response. Its good that you have achieved remission and want to help others too. I am unfortunately missing a lot of small and large bowel. I really have major issues digesting vegetables unless they are boiled to death!!! its sad really as i loved vegetables, especially the leafy green ones. i do take omega three in high quantity and have done for years.

I forgot to mention that i have a liquid diet through a PEG and have bland food on top of this, generally salmon and potatoes. I still have diarrhoea badly, sickness, and extreme fatigue.

But thank you for the reply, and compliments on your English.

best wishes and good luck with the book.

David

Co-Founder
Andy, I see you mention squats. Is that part of your treatment regimen? I've recently begun doing squats as I feel it is helping to heal my spine and some damaged/weak areas from old injuries that I feel may contribute to my disease.

Andy, I see you mention squats. Is that part of your treatment regimen? I've recently begun doing squats as I feel it is helping to heal my spine and some damaged/weak areas from old injuries that I feel may contribute to my disease.
Do you squat with weights or not?

Hi David, Hello M30,

I did squats in the past, and lots of them. My trainer once told me to stop because some factor of my natural hip flexibility is not suitable for squats with weights.

You don't need weights. Take a normal towel, stretch with your arms over your head in line with you upper body, go up and down slowly, manage to get a 90°-ankle between upper- and lower legs and care for you feet to remain on the ground firmly (don't let the heel lift from the ground).

Doing squats this way strengthens and tightens also your lower back, which can be extremely helpful if your lower spine is unstable due to former inflammation of the sacrum (as it was in my case, that happens...).

Spooky1,

You might be surprised and I wouldn't recommend to you, but actually a friend of mine from Berlin has over 80% of her intestines removed and is left up with 25 inches of small intestine and 12 inches of colon and went 75% vegan raw food!. That's incredible and for her, it really works out, though she can't get a regular one-a-day-defecation due to her surgery. I still have to say though that she once stated to me that "her blender is her best friend".

But what we learn here once more is that there is no one-size-fits-all solution for IBD's. That's what makes it so complicated...