• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can anyone share their experiences ???

:sign0085:

Hi - im pretty new to this site so would appreciate some advice.
My partner has Crohn's. Was diagnosed age 13/14. Has been a big up and down with things over the years - he is 28 now and he has just had an operation to remove a blockage.
Unfortunately this didnt go to plan and now has a Stoma. This doesnt bother me. I love him anyway and we deal with it on a day to day.

The only issue is he has been on Azathioprine for well over 10 years now. I have read and been told this can reduce the chance of fertility in men and I already have fertility issues. Has anyone had the same problem ? His consultant says thats its down to the person, however my mum is in the medical profession and knows what I do.

I love my partner and just need to reassure him that everything will be ok as he worries about it.

Any advice, comments or views would be fantastic

Thank you all in advance x

Last edited:

hawkeye

Staff member
I had pred early on in the diagnosis to get things under control, along with a hospital stay. I am on salofalk (5-ASA) as well, but the Imnuran is the more effective of the 2 in my opinion. I'vae had to go on a few stinnt of pred in the past 3 years for some flares, but haven't been on pred in the past year so I consider myself to be in remission for all intents and purposes for the most part.

I'd keep an eye on the weight based dosage., I was on 50 or 75 md/day for the longest time and put on weight and have a bit of a theory that if the dosage was adjusted upward as I got heavier the flares may not have happened, but that's just my theory. I haven't discussed it with my new GI yet