• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sore and stiff hands

sore and stiff hands

Recently I have noticed that my hands become very stiff and sore after using them to much. I have played the piano for over 10 years and have never had this problem before. Recently after playing for as little as ten minutes the part of the hand beneath my small fingers becomes extremely stiff. Any ideas what this could be? I have been on remicade for over 2 years and recently started taking asacol (mesalamine).

T

TummyTroubles

Im not much help at this point, but have the same issue with my hands as well as my knees. Im a rock climber, and sometimes my hands just seize up on me. They also feel very stiff on a regular basis.
Let me know what u come up with :)
Good Luck!

my fingers are stiff too (due to arthritis).

i've started using pens with larger barrels and i warp skinnier pens with foam so i can write all day long. i don't know what you can do for piano, though.

does the stiffness improve with heat? maybe wearing gloves would help.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
There is an inflammatory arthritis that can be linked to Crohns.

It is also possible to develop Rheumatoid Arthritis (which is included in the Inflammatory range).

I have recently been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis that is exibiting rheumatoid features (my rheumatoid factor blood tests were negative but I have bone erosion at the base of my toes on MRI scan) and was started on methotrexate for it.

Also discovered I had a vitamin D deficiency via rheumatology that is being corrected at present.

It is possible to develop these due to poor absorption of essential nutrients and also because of inflammatory response throughout the body in relation to the crohns.

My thoughts to you all would be to get it checked out by appropriate medical team i.e. rheumatology as left unchecked and monitored can mean further pain etc - why put up with it if you can have relief??

Nathan,

If you have been on remicade for 2yrs and are having stiffness etc in your hands think also about any other joints affected.. think carefully about your ankles in particular, your shoulders, hips and knees. Are you suffering from any stiffness after sitting for a while? Are you stiff in the mornings for longer than an hour? What about after car journeys say longer than 15-20mins? Sometimes you compensate without realising it and need to take stock..

My rheums folks said that the remicade should have been helping me because it is given at 5mg/kg for crohns and 3mg/kg for rheumatoid/inflammatory arthritis here in the UK and I was in immense pain. Hence they tried me on steroid injections (which did very little - nothing) and then have put me on methotrexate low dose which I think after 8wks is starting to kick in and help. The methotrexate is also used by gastro teams for crohns so both consultants have said it should help on both fronts.

Time will tell for me but just thought I would throw my own experience into the ring..

Hope you all get some relief soon!

Last edited:
Where else would you feel the arthritis. I feel sore in my back for no reason it seems a lot. Sometimes my hips bother me too.

any joint can be affected. at one pint or another my toes, feet, ankles, knees, hips, sacroiliac joints, back, shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers, and jaw have all been affected.

there's also a possibility that you've been sleeping in an odd position and messed up your back.