• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

6mp/Imuran Experience

Hi-

I was just wondering for the many people who have been on both drugs, which did you find had less side effects. While I know that everyone is different, I would love to hear experiences if people have switched from one to the other and which was better for them.

Thanks

I have been on both before.

With the 6MP I did well for about 5 weeks, and then the crap hit the fan. It made my liver and pancreas go nuts so I had to stop taking it.

Imuran- i had severe nausea and vomiting with it and had to stop it within a week. I guess my body just didn't know how to deal with either of them!

I was on both. My previous gastro doctor prescribed me azathioprine. It took four months to work but I had no problem with it. However, that gastro doctor briefly left the practice and I let the prescription lapse. My present gastro doctor prescribed me 6mp because that was his personal preference. The 6mp took five months to work, but I had no problem with that either. I am presently on 6mp and Asacol and doing well.

I just started taking 6mp so I may not be too much help. The only noticeable side effect I've noticed is that I do feel a little sleepy during the day. I'm blaming that 6mp because I'm still on a high dose of prednisone that usually makes me very energetic during the day. Since starting the new med, I've taken a nap when I lay my little ones down during the day. No nausea/vomiting or anything else. Hope this helps :)