• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone investigated Black Cumin?

I have looked into many herbs and "off the beaten path" treatments and supplements that may help with Crohn's, but somehow, this one has escaped me until now.

I have just read a brief summary about Black Cumin, and I have a lot more investigaing to do before I form an opinion about it. Maybe someone here knows something about it?

Here is the info I copied on it. I have not investigated the validity of the claims. Many of the problems it is supposed to help with are also Crohn's related and that is what got my attention. I like supplements that address a range of problems rather than a "one trick pony". The pain releiving properties alone would make it worth a look. Lots of pain with this disease at times.

If you have some experience, or knowlege about this, please post it here. I do not have a lot of time right now to dig into it.

Since 1964, there have been at least 458 published, peer-reviewed studies involving black cumin, according to GreenMedInfo.com, and these studies confirm what Middle Eastern and North African cultures have known for thousands of years -- black cumin is essentially a miracle heal-all remedy. According to the GreenMedInfo.com reference page for black cumin, the seed has been scientifically confirmed as being:

• Analgesic (pain-killing)
• Antibacterial
• Anti-inflammatory
• Anti-ucler
• Anti-cholinergic
• Anti-fungal
• Anti-hypertensive
• Antioxidant
• Antispasmodic
• Antiviral
• Bronchodilator
• Gluconeogenesis inhibitor (anti-diabetic)
• Hepatoprotective (liver protecting)
• Hypotensive
• Insulin sensitizing
• Interferon inducer
• Renoprotective (kidney protecting)
• Tumor necrosis factor alpha inhibitor

Specifically, black cumin has been shown to provide pain relief for patients being treated for acute tonsillo-pharyngitis; prevent disease that would otherwise be caused by exposure to chemical weapons; aid in the long-term treatment of patients addicted to opioid drugs; alleviate the symptoms of allergic rhinitis; fight Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection; treat type-2 diabetes; relieve asthma symptoms; lower blood pressure; prevent epileptic seizures; and eliminate fungi and candidiasis, among many other functions (http://www.greenmedinfo.com/substance/nigella-sativa-aka-black-seed).

I've done black seed oil, it has greater effects if you take it with manuka honey 15 or 16+ if you can't find any, raw honey is a good sub for it. I would recommend it.

Nigella sativa (Black Cumin) Seed Extract Alleviates Symptoms of Allergic Diarrhea in Mice, Involving Opioid Receptors Swantje C. Duncker, David Philippe, Christine Martin-Paschoud, Mireille Moser, Annick Mercenier, Sophie NuttenResearch Article | published 29 Jun 2012 | PLOS ONE 10.1371/journal.pone.0039841
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0039841

After a couple years of taking many supplements, specifically to remedy my worsening SI joint, I've finally narrowed it down to a few factors: 5,000 iu D3 daily, 1-2 grams Black Cumin Seed, and 8 hours of sleep daily. The Black Cumin seed oil was the missing link for me which I discovered a few months ago.

I'm not sure how to classify the type of reoccuring sacroiliac joint pain I get, but I have found something that works for me if I take it daily, in the morning, on an empty stomach (I have had digestive issues when taken with foods and when taken within 3 hours of LDN). If you do research on Black Cumin Seed oil and IBD, or BCS oil's scientific botanical name which isn't actually related to cumin spice at all, you will find that this stuff works locally on the gut's opiate/endorphin system--kinda sorta related to LDN's rebound effect. However, this means you do not want to mix LDN and BCS oil within a few hours of each other or you will feel nausea. However, while taking BCS oil, I now can have coffee like its water and I no longer am dependent on quality probiotics for solid BMs--this is a significant indicator for me since I've depended on them for 7+ years.

It is a 500 mg black cumin seed extract, called Thymocid, which I take in a supplement by Life Extension called Black Cumin Seed Oil. I previously tried their product with curcumin mixed in, but the single supplement works just as well. I haven't tried any other brands, but this can be found reasonably priced, around $15 per month if taking 2 a day, online at some mega-warehouse websites.

I did not test positive for HLA-B27 and my SI joint pain occurs independent of any digestive flairs, but is directly related to not enough sleep and D3. I only get joint pain in the sacroiliac joint, nowhere else. My useless doctor suggested I start taking Pentasa (or maybe Asascol) daily for this axial joint pain--in my opinion, Pentasa is an expensive placebo, which may have limited efficacy for those with colitis symptoms and maybe peripheral joint pain, foisted onto crohn's patients with generally mild cases.

If I take 2 capsules of Life Extension Black Cumin Seed Oil daily, I don't get my si joint pain. I've been upping my dose occasionally (to 1.5 or 2 grams) if I go days without reaching my 8 hour per night sleep goal and start feeling joint issues arise--I am a hopeless procrastinator when it comes to getting to sleep at a decent time.

Do a scholar.google.com search for "The Joint-Gut Axis in Inflammatory Bowel Diseases" and maybe do another for Black Cumin Seed and inflammation or ibd to see why this might work. I still haven't parsed through that first article...

Please let me/others know if you try this. It might take a couple weeks for the oil to work, maybe not. I didn't take it daily until I gradually noticed the days I didn't take it, due to aforementioned effects. This is actually very worth trying in my personal experience, of the last couple months.

i searched for the picture and found it was a spice used in our kitchen.. though not so common but used with certain recipes..I hated it as it tasted mint like and has a strong flavour. Never knew it had medicinal properties.

Hello, this is my first post ever but I have to share with all IBD suffers and hope and pray that they can attain some relief like me.
I have tried cumin and black seed recently and I can honestly state it has bought my Crohn's symptoms done drastically.
Background- 40 year old male with severe widespread Crohn's disease, diagnosed 3 years ago and suffered terribly. Was visiting bathroom 20+ times a day, severe bleeding and drastic weight loss ( I lost 16.5kg in a few months and at its worst I lost 6kg in 8 days).
Went through the usual meds, mesalazine, steroids, immunosuppressant drugs but no relief. Started taking Infliximab (intravenous immunosuppressant drugs) and initial results were good (Crohn's symptoms went down but the side effects of Inflimab are pretty severe also) however soon built up antibodies and recently stopped treatment. Decided against docs advice I no longer want to be on drugs as the side effects were killing me. Even though I took a shed load of drugs I was anywhere near having stable symptoms and they were always and to severe and so called good days were a distant dream.
Discovered black seed and cumin and after boil prep, drink the solution. I have gained 3.5 kg in 6 weeks and symptoms have decreased very significatly. And there is still room for improvement as I continue taking the liquid mixture.
I recommend highly, it's cheap, no side effects and for me it has been very effective even though the it's still early days.

Bufford

Interesting, I started taking Turmeric Curcuma; one tsp mixed in water on an empty stomach between breakfast and lunch on an empty stomach for the past 4 months or so and my symptoms improved a lot. I have had to pull in my belt a few notches due to a large reduction of inflammation in my gut. I feel much better, Bms are more regular and better sleep.
I am going to try Black cumin and see what happens.

I basically simmer 1 tsp each of black seed and cumin seed with 2.5 mugs of water and let it simmer for approximately 20 mins and i am left approx 1.5 mugs of water. I split what's left into 2 portions and have one last thing at night and the other first thing on the morning. It's only been 6 weeks and the results have been amazing and far superior to anything I was prescribed by the docs. And I have been on all sorts of immunosuppressive drugs but to no avail.
My Crohn's is very severe and widespread and I was at a wits end, couldn't work, sleep, eat and the disease totally took over my life.
Thank God I got some relief. It's worth a try for all Crohn's sufferers, it's cheap, easily available and no side effects.
And like I stated I have gone down from 20+ bathroom visits a day down to maybe 10 and over 3kg weight gain in the 6 weeks I have tried the cumin/black seed mix.

Bufford

That is encouraging, I was in a similar boat after Remicade failed and left my body exhausted and vulnerable to further inflammation and flaring.
My experience with Curcuma has been similar to yours in that it has provided more relief than any other treatments I have endured to only fail.
Back in January I was bloated from internal inflammation, my right side abdomen hurt and I had a hard time eating anything. Now that has all subsided substantially. Eating can still be a challenge but my portions are bigger now. I am going to give Black Cumin a try, I do believe that CD can be controlled well without the chemical weapons commonly prescribed.

Is anybody taking black seed oil and an immunosupressant at the same time?
I'm on azathioprine and wondering if there are any possible interactions?

Yes thank you for the info. I have Crohn's and gave up on Doctors meds. Best decision ever, no relief well on the meds. Now that I'm off all meds. my choice and treating myself, my severe pain is now mild pain. I found out that Organic Apple Cider Vinegar does wonders at controlling the ulcers and greatly easing the pain. I don't like vinegar so I don't stick with it long enough to know if it would cure me or not. And I'm looking for a cure so since my symptoms are under control I'm now giving Organic Ceylon Cinnamon (true cinnamon) with Honey a try. Just started this waiting to see if this does anything for my mild symptoms. I'll will have to add Black Cumin Seed Oil sense this look promising too. Again I'm looking for a CURE not just temporarily relief. Constant pain my whole life and I'm now 47 and had enough. The cures out there we just have to find it. :hug: never give up.

You might want to investigate Rife frequency treatments also. It’s my mainstay treatment. It is not a cure in the sense it hasn’t altered my faulty immune system, but by targeting and reducing the specific pathogens that give me symptoms is like rolling back the clock on the disease.

This site has a lot of background info.

http://rifevideos.com/

Dan

I read over the Rife frequency treatment. I personally know nothing about electrons or the safety of using frequency. Even if I did stumble across the right frequency to kill off the bad microorganisms, how would I know if it's harming the beneficial microorganisms too.

This is not something I want to monkey with.

I know your intention was good. And for that I thank you. But this is not for me.

Good afternoon all.
Just want to give you all an update in regards to my condition.
I am still having the seed mix (black seed, cumin fennel seeds).
I am making excellent progress and my bathroom visits are down to single figures that is impressive if you take into consideration my average bathroom visits were between 17-20 for 2.5 years and taking a shed load did oral medicines and an intravenous immunosuppressant drug, which didn't help me one bit.
My weight has now increased by 5kg and I feel a tonne better and I am currently on no medicines, by the way that is against the docs advice.

I recommend that all sufferers try the seed mix, it's cheap, no side effect and for me it's nothing short of a miracle.the least it's done has saved me from a tonne of meds (immunosuppressant drugs-both oral and intravenous), steriods etc.

Give it a try, I am a few months in and I can't emphasise enough how much it has helped me.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you would like further details.
azeem123124@hotmail.com.

scottsma

I'm trying CBD oil just now but it's very expensive.I finish what I have left in a few days and will certainly give cumin a try.

It has been quite a long time since I visited this forum. In the meantime I was in hospital, had an operation (inter-intestinal abscess) and tried to recover for a long time. The operation did me some good, but with many side-effects (including in-hospital Clostridium infection). Finally, after trying the usual therapies recommended by doctors (steroids, immunosupressants etc.), I found them to be largely useless, controlling only the symptoms, to some extent, but not curing anything.

The only medicines that seemed to actually improve my condition were antibiotics, Metronidazole in particular. So I decided to try various herbs that have antibiotic and anti-inflammatory effect. Out of many, thyme, marigold and black cumin (nigella sativa) seem to be the most effective. And in fact, the black cumin is the single most effective one. So in the cases where Crohn's is related to the disrupted intestinal bacterial flora, black cumin should be recommended. The question is if it can be equally effective in other varieties of IBD.

I found out that if I make an infusion (0.8 litre boiled water over three teaspoons of herbs, let it brew for about 20 minutes), it is both a cure and a pleasant drink. I usually mix black cumin, lemongrass (another anti-inflammatory) and angelica (angelicum archangelicum, digestive) - they taste great together. Instead of angelica I also tried aniseed - it gives it another flavour, also nice.

cmack

Staff member
It has been quite a long time since I visited this forum. In the meantime I was in hospital, had an operation (inter-intestinal abscess) and tried to recover for a long time. The operation did me some good, but with many side-effects (including in-hospital Clostridium infection). Finally, after trying the usual therapies recommended by doctors (steroids, immunosupressants etc.), I found them to be largely useless, controlling only the symptoms, to some extent, but not curing anything.

The only medicines that seemed to actually improve my condition were antibiotics, Metronidazole in particular. So I decided to try various herbs that have antibiotic and anti-inflammatory effect. Out of many, thyme, marigold and black cumin (nigella sativa) seem to be the most effective. And in fact, the black cumin is the single most effective one. So in the cases where Crohn's is related to the disrupted intestinal bacterial flora, black cumin should be recommended. The question is if it can be equally effective in other varieties of IBD.

I found out that if I make an infusion (0.8 litre boiled water over three teaspoons of herbs, let it brew for about 20 minutes), it is both a cure and a pleasant drink. I usually mix black cumin, lemongrass (another anti-inflammatory) and angelica (angelicum archangelicum, digestive) - they taste great together. Instead of angelica I also tried aniseed - it gives it another flavour, also nice.
I'm glad it helped you. There isn't yet a known "cure" for IBD or Crohn's, but if you are feeling good, I'm happy! :)