• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pizza causing symptoms?

Pizza

My UC has been relaxed for the past 2 weeks. I had some pizza last night and the cramping and urgency came right back. I'm doing a trial by error to knock out the worst things from my diet. Looks like pizza will be next. Anyone have an idea on what exactly would cause this? Would it be the cheese, the sauce, the crust, etc...? I knew this was going to happen and fortunately all I need to do is BRAT it for the day and it will calm. I'm also sitting down with my nutritionist on Saturday. He had me do an extensive blood test a week ago. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to see what he has to say. After 23 years of medication after medication, I hope to see some improvement going this route. Thanks for listening!

Its hard to say exactly what would be the cause, but I imagine it would be all the fat in the cheese, and the pizza, especially if it was one of those deep pan ones from pizza places. You might find you can still eat the ones you put in the oven youself, or if you made it youself and put less cheese on?
It would be worth a try to see if it makes any difference?
What topping did you have on it? Anything spicey?

Honestly, for me, it sometimes just depends on the day. One day I can eat a certain thing and be fine. The next time, it might really bother me. Makes it hard to pinpoint trigger foods.

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
My UC has been relaxed for the past 2 weeks. I had some pizza last night and the cramping and urgency came right back. I'm doing a trial by error to knock out the worst things from my diet. Looks like pizza will be next. Anyone have an idea on what exactly would cause this? Would it be the cheese, the sauce, the crust, etc...? I knew this was going to happen and fortunately all I need to do is BRAT it for the day and it will calm. I'm also sitting down with my nutritionist on Saturday. He had me do an extensive blood test a week ago. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to see what he has to say. After 23 years of medication after medication, I hope to see some improvement going this route. Thanks for listening!
Pizza is a strange one for me. Sometimes I eat it and have no problem with it at all. Other times I eat it and it cause a you know what storm. I don't eat it but rarely anymore. When I do I make sure I don't have anything big going on the next day that I have to do.

A had a sausage calzone and a slice of cheese. I had three slices of deep dish sausage last week and the same thing happened. Sorry to change the subject but, how do the both of you have your info under your posts? I would like to put mine up for everyone to see.

rygon

I make my own now as they taste so much better, I can put whatever I want on it and also it doesnt take long at all.

Pizza base has strong white flour, water, salt sugar and yeast IIRC. Mix it together and knead for 5-10mins. Leave for 20mins (I have used the same mixture a week later and its still been fine, you can also freeze it but Ive never tried that yet).

Then all you need to do is make a sauce (tin of toms, + basil, thyme or whatever you want) cook for 20mins until its reduced.

For toppings I only put 3 things on (selection of peppers, meat, onion, mushrooms, asparagus, spinach, egg etc. depending what I have in) then add cheese (mozarella or chedder)

Once done add it to a oven (240degC) onto a pizza stone (can be picked up pretty cheap)

The dough can also be used for garlic bread (just add garlic, parsley and plenty of olive oil).

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Could be the grease depending on what kind of pizza you got. We also make our own pizza's when we can. We've got a bread machine and make the dough in there. Needless to say, our bread machine gets a good workout! Pizza sauce seems to do alright on me so we use that and then we just put the toppings on.

rygon

It could also be preservatives, tomatoes, onions, sweetcorn, and sugar in the sauce to name a few more

I can no longer eat pizza, and I blame the dough. I can't eat bread, rolls, english muffins, bagels etc., so I stopped and then the last two times I ate pizza I was in pain, and it was home made.

I can still eat baked goods which contain flour, so I am not sure if I have a gluten sensitivity that only gets aggravated by certain things? Is there more gluten in bread than cookies? Or pasta? I can eat pasta just fine.

I am sad to not be eating pizza on a Friday night sometimes. :(

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Could it be the eggs in the bread products? I know some people who are really allergic to eggs and get pretty sick after eating stuff with them in it...

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Hmm. I don't know then.

We have our own chickens so we eat lots of eggs now too. Especially since they all seem to be done molting and have begun laying eggs again.

I was only a mess for that day. I will take at least a week before I try pizza again. It was Rosati's pizza. A popular Italian pizzeria in IL. (not sure if they are located outside of state). I appreciate everyone's opinion.

Hummm

Could be the gluten, wheat or eggs in the crust. The acid in the tomatoes, or lactose in the cheese, or preservatives in any of the above.

This is way too confusing for me.