• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Small Bowel Enema/meal exam

Hi,

I have had anemia for sometime now, without any reason.

Had a colonoscopy and endoscope last year, colonoscopy piece of cake, but endooscopy I hated (have fear of being sick) and gagged a lot, swore Id never have one again!

Now go to have a SME and know its another pipe down nose and throat! Absolutely dreading it. Having read some stuff on it, none positive, wondered if anyone had experienced it and not found it as bad as endoscopy?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Gill

Diabetic t2
Fibromyalgia.

Last edited:
Never had this. I had a small bowel follow through, but it was just drink some barium and have X-rays every 20 minutes, piece of cake.

When I had my endoscopy, the doc gave me so much sedation that I only remember the nurse spraying my throat and talking to the doc afterwards. Much prefer endoscopy than colonoscopy.

Thanks for replying. I hated endoscope, it was awful. Apparently in UK the govement is no longer funding the camera pill, otherwise I could have had that!

Anybody had a SME and found less horrid than a endoscope?
Thanks
Gill