• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help does anyone else get sores on just their face

Hello,omg I'm so glad I found this site I have been feeling so alone and depressed.I was dx with crohns about a year ago,But I think I've had it longer.In the past yearI have went to ER for my crohns and severe pain.also when I'm flaring I get red round sores on my face I cant even begin to name all the oral meds and face creams I have tried.everytime I think the meds are working I will get these horrible sores and they itch also.jw if anyone else has this problem and if so what works? I'm literally going insane from the sores plus my self esteem is low due to how my face looks.I use to be a very outgson but my crohns systoms have changed that.always worried when I go out.please any information regarding the face sores and how to manage my pain would be of great help.since my dxi have been on asocal,flagly,steriods and tramdal for pain which doesn't do anything.thanks and I so hope finding this site is a true blessing from god

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just to confirm are you on steroids at the moment and are you getting other symptoms with the pain? I have heard here of problems with the skin when flaring and things like mouth ulcers as the body gets very run down. Is your doc aware of this and if so have they given any explanation for this? Also have you ever had your vitamin levels checked?

AB
xx

Hi missks :-( Sorry to hear about the sores issue. I had the same problem when I was flaring badly. Like coldsores, but much bigger and often around my nose as well as my mouth. I think Angrybird is right that it's a sign of being run down as inflammation can cause absorption problems in the gut. It might be worth asking your doctor to check your iron and folate levels and possibly suggest vitamin supplements that might help.

I used to get many sores around my mouth and also inside and outside my nose. I always treated them with Zovirax cold-sore cream, which helps them heal quicker (not sure if they were technically cold-sores, but it did help).

Since I began taking multi vits with iron and vit D spray I rarely get them, just a sore inside my nose if I actually have a cold.

It is worth trying to remember we are our own worse critics, no body else will study your face as closely as you do. Good luck.

PsychoJane

I also had issue with sores. I would also suggest getting them checked by a doctor as they can be related to HSV and then there would be solution such as the zovirax cream or taking aciclovir pills for instance. It then worth getting cultures or what ever is needed to help discriminate the origin of these sores.

I find argan oil helps a lot with healing the skin and if ever they are sore such as cold sore, abreva (docosanol cream) helps relieving and clearing them faster.

If it is cold sores caused by HSV , it will probably feel tickley when the blisters first appear. Using the Zovirax then can sometimes stop it really developing into a proper sore at all, I have found.

Thanks Everyone to the immediate responses. Sorry I didn't give enough details about the sores on my face.Yes I have went to the docto to many times to remember along with going to 2 dermatoist(sorry bout sp) I swear I have gotten so many different dx.my last doc said cold sores.I'm just trying to figure out what the connection is t crohns. About taking vitiamns I must admit I have gotten lazy about taking them.I will get back on track starting today! Someone mentioned do I have other problems besides severe pain omg yes I will be in the bathroom never ending nausea and diahrea along with the most severe pain ever!! I go to see a GI doc on feb 12th I'm so hoping and praying he can get me on the right track! Thanks everyone!

PsychoJane

Well yeah, then HSV sores are definitely a pain and pretty much everything can trigger then when you are vulnerable. I rarely have mine elsewhere than the "traditional" mouth cold sores but I've had them a few time near my nose and I get them on the corner of my eye when I have high grade fever.

Sometimes you can run fever while having IBD crisis and it could explain along with general defiency caused by malabsorption why you are having more of them. Sun, Cold, stress and hormonal variation also leads to them.

I wonder if your doc that said it was cold sores did prescribe you an antiviral (this is what we mentioned with the Zovirax.). I've never had to use it regularly but when I started immunosuppressant at one point the doc hooked me with a prescription and explained to me that if I were to have frequent issue they could give it to me regularly as opposed to only treat the crisis let say. Generally you take it for somewhere between 3-10 days (acyclovir/Zovirax/activir) when you have blister but you can take it at lower dosage to prevent occurence. It controls the spreading of virus such as Herpes type I, type II, Epstein's-Barr and Zona/chicken pox so you are less contagious to yourself let say. Pretty much it would help a lot if you are stuck with a virus that is spreading, at the least I think. So if they have not given that to you yet, that would definitely be something to consider with them.

Angrybird

When you see the doc definetly have a chat about your meds, it doesn't look they are doing much for you at the mo and may need to be changed or the dosages looked at - what steroid are you on,is it prednisone? Also what vitamins had you been taking and were these based on bloods that you had done to look at your levels?