• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help with imuran don't know if I should take?

Hi. New to these forums. Got diagnosed with crohn's in oct 12 and have been on pentasa since. All was going ok until I received my MRI results yesterday which shows 5cm of my intestine is inflamed and at high risk of blocking. Dr wants. to start prendizone and imuran straight away but I need a moment to think. It's all happening way to quickly.
It's a bit of a nightmare. I suppose my major concern is I don't want to be on strong medication for long periods or time and the doctor doesn't want to commit to a timeframe. from what I understand imuran wipes out the immune system so other bugs/flu will become an issue. Also major concern about blood disease such as lymphoma.
Any information or advise either positive or negative would be GREATLY appreciated
Maybe I am just over thinking?

Hello,
Welcome to the forum.
I have been on imuran (azathioprine) for almost five years now. I was also worried at first. But over time I think you become a bit immune (ha) to the worries. Crohn's is a horrible disease which needs controlling. I worry more about the effects of not having crohn's under control than the effects of the meds I am taking for it.
Imuran is an immunosuppressant yes, but I wouldn't go as far to say "wipes out the immune system" I don't think I get more unwell than anyone else.
Some people do manage to keep their crohn's under control from not taking the strong medications but others don't.
Do you have any other symptoms other than what the MRI results show?
It is a lot to take in, but you should probably start the medications as your doctor suggests and over time if you are still uncomfortable taking the medication you can experiment with diet or other things.
You definitely need to prevent having a blockage which could lead to emergency surgery.

Hi Holly. Thanks for the information. At the moment trying to stay strong and continue to live life as normal with work and social life. Get a severe sharp pain whenever I eat which is due to the swelling in the intestine. The dr told me yesterday if I don't start taking the medication he will see me in emergency within the next 2 weeks. Scared the life out of me. So just trying to do as much research before I go back tomorrow. Do you need to have weekly blood tests. Google can be dangerous so thought best to seek advice from here. How does the doctor know when to stop the imuran or do we just stay on it for life?

rygon

Im on aza as well, and in 3 years, this is the 1st time ive got a proper cold, and it isnt any worse than what im used to so no problems there.

Yes you should start off with weekly blood tests to check your white cell count, but this will change to 3monthly. It will be used for as long as its working. Either you become immune to its effectiveness or you have side effects.

The dosage is very sensitive and is worked out on you weight. It can be a very dangerous drug but is widely used (think its still used in transplant patients)

Heres the UKs crohns colitis org factsheet about the drug http://www.nacc.org.uk/downloads/factsheets/drugAzathioprine6MP.pdf

Try out our subforum for more info as well http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

At the beginning you need blood tests regularly but it can go down to about once every few months after a while.
Its hard to say how long you would be on it for. It depends how long it works for you, if it works for you.

Thanks for the help and info. Good to hear views of actual people that have taken the same thing. I never rush into anything and like to be in control of my life so I think I'm driving the dr crazy
Once again a big thank you

Jer

I've been on a 6mp for a few years. Of course the list of possible side effects are a little unnerving, but the risk for those severe sides are low.

Personally, I don't get sick as often as people around me, even my wife or daughter.

I don't beleive you're over thinking it. It's certainly a good idea to weigh your options, IMO, instead of just jumping into what ever a person says just because they have a couple letters at the beginning or end of their name.

If you do decide to take it, I really hope it works for you and for a long long time. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks Jer. Good to know there are other people out there that have experienced the same thing and understand the thought process.