• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mercaptopurine dosage

Hi all I've just been changed from aza to mercaptopurine and have been told to take 50mg daily for 2 weeks then increase to 100mg. What is the "normal" dose you peeps are taking? Has anyone any good or bad reports on it?

My son, who was 11 years old at the time was started on 50 mg. He went as high at 75mg and as low as 25mg over the next year. They added allopurinol at one point too. Last week his GI put him back at 50 mg a day after a year of adjusting. Basically, it takes a while to find the right dose for you. This will depend on your weight and metabolism. Our Dr. said if you are feeling side effects the dose is probably too high. Although there is an adjustment period at first when you might have some side effects. They will monitor your blood levels so you get a "therapeutic level". Not too high or too low. My son is now 5'9" and 126lbs.

Make sure to drink a full glass of water when taking it and keep hydrated. We were also told to avoid milk products 1 hour before. My son finds it easiest to take before bed.

It has been a wonderful medication for him. I hope you have the same experience.

Jer

Like Johnnysmom eluded to, there is blood work to see if you are getting a theraputic dose or not.

I was at 100mg per day and was bumped up to 125mg/day based on the results of that.

My 6mp dosage has been changed quite a bit, depending on my disease activity and my white blood count level. I am not alternating doses: 50 mg one day and then 75 mg the next.