• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Red anus irritated or inflamed?

nogutsnoglory

My doctor said my anus was somewhat red when he did the scope. I have never had any crohns complications down there thank God.

Is it possible it just shows up red due to all the diarrhea and irritation or does that mean its definitely active disease?

Wouldn't everyone who underwent a prep be red there? Maybe mine is just worse because its months of non stop going and wiping.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm afraid that I'm not sure. I would think the same way you do though. However, when my new GI did my flex sig he said that the red and irritation turned out to be Proctitis and inflammation. Then, yesterday in the snail mail we got a letter stating the fact.

Not saying that you have the same thing as I do. I hope things get explained beter for you and that you'll not only get some answers but will be able to get back to "feeling normal" soon. Take care:)

I type up a TON of colonoscopy and minor colorectal procedure reports, and everybody who has gone through the prep is noted as having some amount of anal irritation and hemorrhoids, that as long as it is mild/minor is accounted for by the prep.

Definitely follow up on this and ask your doctor about yours in particular when you next talk to them, but for the time being I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Last edited:
I had the same thing once i was having surgery for a fistula my surgeon said i was red-raw down there from wiping a lot with the hospital paper which was more like sand paper he suggested to use some baby wipes with aloe era and sure enough it helps

Now i still go a lot but i use good quality paper so i do t really get like that anymore bur if i do i keep some wipes with aloe vera in them and fixes me up straight aay

nogutsnoglory

I type up a TON of colonoscopy and minor colorectal procedure reports, and everybody who has gone through the prep is noted as having some amount of anal irritation and hemorrhoids, that as long as it is mild/minor is accounted for by the prep.

Definitely follow up on this and ask your doctor about yours in particular when you next talk to them, but for the time being I wouldn't worry about it too much.
I was surprised that he mentioned it and didn't just say it was likely due to the prep or constant irritation. There is a big difference between a new area of disease activity versus a bothered area.

I also have a very irritated and inflammed anal area. Funny thing is that I do not have diarhea really. I mean usually I only go once a day, but I have constant horrendous pain in my intestines a lot of the time. I still have no diagnosis either. GI keeps saying he "thinks' I have IBS. So I am wanting to find out why my rectal area is always so red and inflammed as well.....

nogutsnoglory

I also have a very irritated and inflammed anal area. Funny thing is that I do not have diarhea really. I mean usually I only go once a day, but I have constant horrendous pain in my intestines a lot of the time. I still have no diagnosis either. GI keeps saying he "thinks' I have IBS. So I am wanting to find out why my rectal area is always so red and inflammed as well.....
Crohn's can strike anywhere from mouth to anus. It is possible even without diarrhea that your area is inflamed.

I know. I am going to ask my gastro to take a look down there when I see him next week. I dont know why it is that doctors think that crohns only usually presents with copious amounts of diarreha. I just dont know, but I do know that I am sure my gastro will just say to use some cream or something. It is so frustrating. I mean the only test I have yet to do is a colonoscopy which we held off on due to how sick the MRE made me. Also, now that I think about it, it seems like a lot of people who do have crohns get normal colonoscopies. That is scary. I mean maybe it is better for me to wait a bit before getting the scope, I mean I would so hate it if I went through a scope to soon and it found nothing!! Then I still would not have a dx and would likely be worse off.... I am hoping when I get my colonoscopy that if I have been sick long enough, it will show it if I do have it... I have heard where some get colonoscopies right away at the start of symptoms only for it to not show anything.

Crohn's can strike anywhere from mouth to anus. It is possible even without diarrhea that your area is inflamed.

2thfairy,

I have tried looking for that calmoseptine stuff. I looked at the walgreens over here where I live and they dont have it.. Where can I find it?? Is it a prescription? Does this cream help with the inflammation and irritation down there??

It is over the counter, but you may have to ask the pharmacy to order it for you. You can also get it on Amazon.com. Some compound pharmacies have it near their ostomy supplies.

Thanks 2thfairy. I guess I will get it at Amazon if I cant find it at my walgreens or if they wont order it.. Thanks again..

It is over the counter, but you may have to ask the pharmacy to order it for you. You can also get it on Amazon.com. Some compound pharmacies have it near their ostomy supplies.

I always have Johnny Cash butt... (burning ring of fire). I feel like I should look like those baboon with the big red hiney. I think that it's pretty common with all the wiping and such. I have made a change that has really helped me. After getting a pictorial tour of a friend's flat in Kuwait, I was introduced to the hygiene hose in the bathroom. It's a small hose with a bitty sprayer that is attached at the intake hose on the back of the toilet. It hangs on the side of the toilet when not in use. It is used to wash your perineal area after either urinating or BM's. You then pat dry. So much gentler. I think this practice is called "lota" for muslims, but many asian countries have a version of the "portable bidet" as well. I cannot recommend this highly enough. Even compared to gentle wipes, this is even better.