• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I need some help please

Hi, my name is Deana and I was diagnosed with severe Crohns in November of 2011. I had had stomach problems all my life but was not diagnosed. Anyway I was having severe stomach pains and thought I had a blockage, although I had never heard of Crohns before, so finally went to the hospital where I found out I had to have 5 bypasses on my heart so the Crohns was set aside due to the heart problems. After I had the bypasses my medi-cal decided I had to have an 808 dollar share of cost so consequently I could not follow up on my Crohns or heart for we live on a fixed income. I am wondering if any of you have treated your Crohns at home and what I might be able to do at home to relieve these symptoms. Nausea is the worst. Day and night no matter what I eat. Also if any of you live in California have you been able to get disability for Crohns or some kind of medical help that wouldn't cost much. I tell you I am ready to give up. Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you. By the way I am 56 and my husband is retired.

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Deana!

Would you be able to follow a diet to try to control your symptoms? You can read about diets in the Diet, Fitness and Supplements section, here.

As for the nausea, have you tried ginger or peppermint? Ginger ale, ginger tea, peppermint candies, and peppermint tea can all help ease nausea.

As for your questions about disability, I'm going to tag Crabby here. She can give you a better answer than I can.

:hug: I hope things get better for you soon!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Grandma3boys and welcome to the forum! :D

Yes I am in California and do receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for Crohn's disease. There was another member in the past who applied for both SSI and SSDI for Crohn's and depression and was able to get both. I've never applied for SSDI though as SSI has been enough for me.

When you are considered disabled and start receiving SSI and/or SSDI you qualify for Medicaid, here in California its called Medi-Cal. Its free government run healthcare. All of my doctor visits, tests and prescriptions are covered 100%. Only charge there is currently in California is we have to pay $5 every time we go to the ER.

Here's info on how to apply for SSI or you can go to your local Social Security office: http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/ssi.htm

Feel free to check out info on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in the forum wiki: http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Disability-and-Crohns-USA

When applying for SSI/SSDI be sure to always think of your worst days possible and never say that you sometimes feel fine. Most people are denied their first time applying so always appeal. Having a lawyer helps move things along because Social Security hates dealing with lawyers (so says my lawyer). Lawyers do take a percentage of your winnings but its well worth it. I know Afidz is currently dealing with applying for SSI and is using a lawyer. If you have any questions about that process feel free to tag her or myself. Also you will need a doctor to help fill out forms and be on board with you going on disability.

Although it will probabaly not do much try sulfasalazine, the refills are $10. It sounds like Crabby knows what shes talking about, I would follow her advice. Self medication never ends well with Crohns. You can get many of the medications including Humira at reduced copays if you don't have insurance, its worth checking out.

Hi deana and welcome to the forum. I am on SSDI and I used a lawyer. As far as is getting some medical care in the mean time. Have you checked with your local family and children services office to see if there is any free or low cost medical clinics in your area? They might be limited on what they can do but some help would be better than none.

I hope you find relief soon!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Oh that's true I forgot about that. Here in San Luis Obispo county we have CMSP. It has co-pays for some things but is super cheap but most things are paid for 100% and is based off of income. I'll check out your area later to see if you have something like it.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I will go to the SS office on Monday or find a lawyer. I would rather have a lawyer than do all the paper work myself. My husband and I went through so much to get his. And Crabby, thank you for all the info. You have no idea how much I appreciate your help. Also is there anyone out there that knows how I can get dental work done free or very low cost? My doctor is saying that my teeth may be making my heart and Crohns worse. Thank you so much and I am so grateful to be on a forum with all of you.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Only place I know of is Western Dental. Not that they are great or anything and I don't know if they are in your area or not. Medi-Cal only covers extractions.