• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Methotrexate not working. Moving to Infliximab

Hi Everyone my name is Shelly.
I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was 17, I am now 43.
I have been on heaps of different medication but was just told the last one
methotrexate 0.6mls is not working. I'm soon to be starting infliximab. If this doesnt work
I will have to have my large intestine removed. (The doctor said hopefully this will prevent colon cancer). How have you guys found infliximab.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds switched from mtx to remicade in aug of last year.
It took about three infusions (6 weeks)
But he has been very well ever since .
We love remicade here.
It gave me my kid back.
:)

Good luck

My son is 16 and has been on Remicade since early last year. The loading doses worked immediately, C went from being in bed, in pain and severe fatigue and joint pain to normal teenager activities almost overnight.

We are still having to tweak the schedule, up the dose and recently added MTX because although C does not have one symptom for awhile after infusion he can't make it to the next infusion without some symptoms returning.

annawato

Staff member
Hi Shelly, I tried both remicade and Humira and had no luck with either but I think I am in the minority, most people have success with them. Good luck with it all,