• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Studying abroad

Hi!
Just ignore my bad English, I am Norwegian..

My name is Jenny, and I am 16 years old. I was diagnosed with Crohn's last year, and started Remicade treatments right away.

So, all my life I've wanted to study abroad, most of all I wanted to go to America. But ever since I got diagnosed my dad has been telling me to let go of my dream, and just study here in Norway. But that has never been an option for me.
So since I got this disease I figured I should plan ahead, since my question is kind of a big deal.

So now you know my story, and here is my question; If I choose to study in The U.S, will the Remicade expences get covered? Or is it going to cost me WAY to much? Here in Norway one treatment for me costs like over 2000 dollars, but since we have free health care in Norway thats no problem.

So should I go for it, or just let it go before I get too excited? Is there a way for me to get this covered? Cause' as a student theres no way I could pay 2000 dollars every eight weeks.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi,

I am actually not sure if you would be able to get health care here. But I do know my daughters Remicade at a children hospital costs over $10,000 a treatment. We have insurance, but pay $4000 out of pocket per year.

I am sorry I cant help you, but you do need to find out before you come. If you get a job, that has ins. you would be covered to a point. Check at your college or university as listed below. I know our healthcare just changed, so maybe.

I wish you the best.
j

Last edited:
Also look into the schools healthcare/insurance that they offer. Not sure where you are planning on attending but a lot of universities have student health insurance. I don't know how good the coverage is though.

You also may want to google Remistart they can cover varying amounts of the cost of the infusion depending on some factors and may be able you with setting up something.