• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain management

Hi all

I'm 30 years old and have just this week been diagnosed with crohn's. I have the follow up to my colonoscopy this Friday, so I'm not sure really sure what all I'm in for, just that after my procedure my doc was pretty convinced that its crohn's. I'm most concerned with 2 things right now. First is weight loss, I'm down about 35-40lbs right now, and with the meds he put me on I'm not getting to enjoy the empty calories I get from enjoying a couple of beers. It seems no matter what, or how much I eat, I can't put the weight back on. It isn't effecting my energy level, at least yet, but was wondering if anyone has had the same issue and found a way to put on a few lbs.? Second is the pain, between the 2 it's why I sought out a doctor. A few weeks ago it was a nuisance that I had to deal with, but its almost getting worse by the day now. I'm finding myself needing to make an excuse to step away just to deal with it, and its starting to effect my ability to get a good nights rest. I have pain in my lower abdomen, lower back and down my right thigh, what type of meds/therapy/diets should I be discussing with my doc for pain? Is there worry of addiction? Any other tips would be great

Thanks!

I've been a female crohn's patient since the age of 12. As a patient, you have that right to be made comfortable when flaring.

You can ask for some sort of pain medication to help you sleep as you are suffering right now. I was told that in order to become addicted, I'd have to take the pain medication more than needed/prescribed every few hours to get high. Which I don't. I hate feeling high but if it means I can get a better night's sleep I will take it.

Other questions to ask: what is your game plan doctor? will it be Entocort, Imuran, 6MP, or the biologics such as Remicade, Humira? How many pills a day will I be taking. (NOTE: once you start to feel better DO NOT STOP TAKING THEM. Most folks make this mistake when they start to feel well and then they wind up sicker. It's the medication that's makin you well. STAY ON IT UNTIL YOUR MD SAYS OTHERWISE).

If the GI Rxs a biologic, ask him if he has to call your insurance for pre-authorization? You should check with your insurance to make sure it's covered so if it's not, your GI can do another game plan.

As for diet, get a script from the doctor and make an appointment with a registered dietician at a local hospital near you. They deal with all sorts of special dietary needs due to illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, and IBD. I did that a while back and the RD gave me tons of great print outs of what kinds of meals to make that were gut friendly.

As for the alcohol, certain IBD treatments will interfere with making the meds work to get you into remission. I'd hold off on that for a while and then ask your GI about drinking if you really need to.

Surgery will always be a last resort when all other treatments fail. So don't get scared or worried because there are folks here, even myself, who've been through several and are doing great. feel better. Gutless Wonderwoman

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis and pain :( That's rough.

My guess is you're suffering from malabsorption thus the weight loss and inability to put it back on no matter what. Basically your intestines so inflamed and/or scarred that they aren't able to properly absorb the nutrients you need. One way they'll seek to improve this is utilizing medications to get the inflammation under control. If they determine you have extensive scarring, surgery may be needed but hopefully that's not the case. Something to research would be enteral nutrition. This is a specially formulated liquid diet that has all the nutrients you need. Not only can it help you maintain or gain weight, but it is shown to help reduce inflammation and even lead to remission. It's definitely something to discuss with your doctor.

As for pain, as GW said above, you deserve to be more comfortable. But changing your diet to a liquid one may help a LOT as you may have narrowing of the intestines which is leading to the pain.

We're here for you.

I personally use medical marijuana for pain management. It makes all the difference in the world for me and supposedly helps keep the inflammation in check as well. I can't recommend it enough.

nativesith

GTA ModLeader Psx-Scene
Having this i know to take jus liquids when flaring. Ensure, is great. lactose and gluton free. I believe putting any type of solid food,even the low residue foods, will give some pain and gas. I flared up for weeks until I cut out everything but the ensure. Now it seems manageable.

I also use medical marijuana, it did wonders for me.:)