• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So I went to the doctor....

annawato

Staff member
As you all know I had a resection and ileostomy via laparotomy on Nov 23. A week after surgery the wound became infected and needed to be opened up in two places. The lower wound finally healed a couple of weeks ago while the top wound is being dressed every two days. Last Friday i developed redness around and a large blister looking thing over the lower wound. So i went to the doctor yesterday (i'd been putting it off like always) only to find that there was a huge abscess under the lower wound plus cellulitis in all the surrounding skin. The doctor has taken swabs and put me on keflex and depending on what comes back from the swabs I may need to go back to hospital for iv antibiotics. Plus there is a possibility that the abscess has caused a sinus (fistula?) between the wound and my uterus since Ive been having a bit of discharge too. So today I am not a happy camper and am just hoping that the oral antibiotics will do the trick. I suspect I've had the cellulitis since the high fevers I had 10 days ago - haven't been feeling too great since then but since I usually feel pretty crappy I just thought it was a bad week. I've also got pain stretching from wound across my lower abdomen to the left. No idea what this is and can't have an ultrasound due to all the bandages and packing everywhere. My crohn's is usually small intestine so its a bit puzzling to have pain to the right - and so low down. :cry:
Anyway thats my essay for today. The moral of the story is go to the doctor if something is wrong - don't leave it like I have - I'm back at square one with the wound or perhaps worse. Bugger!!!!! :facepalm:

Last edited:
Bugger!!
Fingers crossed you don't have to head back to the hospital.
Although - if it's going to make you feel better - might be worth it.
Urgh - but you must be so over that damn place!!

I hope you feel better soon.

Hoping the oral antis will knock it for six. Lots of hugs and fingers crossed. I hate this insidious disease. It always rears its ugly head when we can bare no more. Just praying this gets sorted quickly for you.

annawato

Staff member
Thanks everybody. I'm off to the doc this afternoon so will let you know what the verdict is. :)

Oh no, Anna. :( I'm keeping my fingers crossed you can stay out of the hospital and that this will clear up soon. But if they recommend the hospital, you should go ASAP. Those IV antibiotics are much better than the oral. Keep us updated!

annawato

Staff member
Went to the doctor but the swab results weren't back so really a waste of time. He did suggest that my surgeon should see what is happening. Not too happy about that cos I really don't like my surgeon. I'm sure he's very good and he is always very nice but I just don't like him. Maybe cos of all the pain he put me through - and making me feel I wasn't trying hard enough to get up and about after the op. Normally I do but this time I was just knocked for six. Probably cos it was more extensive surgery, plus the little matter of the infection brewing in the wound and the abscess brewing under my liver.
Sorry, just feeling a little sorry for myself and having a pity party.

Terriernut

Dont let them fob you off, how about your IBD nurse Anna? Can you ring or email her daily for the results of the swab test? And your GP can get on top of it as well. I see no reason for them to try and get the surgeon involved with this, especially as you don't like him. I hate it when they do the 'pass the patient' thing! It's bullocks is what it is!

annawato

Staff member
Its my GP who did the swabs so the results are going there and no-one is there on the weekend so I have to go back on Monday. I think involving the surgeon is cos its taking so long to heal and is now breaking down again - but you're right, I think they just aren't sure what to do. I'll see my regular gp on Monday and she may be more helpful. The guy I saw today didn't seem to know what to think so that got me all worried. Probably unnecessarily. Probably was a pass the patient thing cos he also suggested getting the ER to check it out - but thats a last resort for me. Once the hospital gets there hands on me they don't like to let go - which is odd cos like everywhere they are so short of beds.

I hate to say it, but I think you need to go to the emergency department. If you have an abscess and infection, it can get much worse over the weekend and I would hate to see you lose a bunch of skin and muscle to infection or even have your life threatened. They will call your surgeon who you really do have to see even if he's a dick.

I hated the surgeon who did my last surgery, so when I got an abscess, I tried to see my GI. I ended up in the hospital for twice as long and having to see my surgeon in the end, anyway. Basically, by trying to avoid going back to the hospital, I was stuck there for another month when it would have been less than five days if I'd gone to my surgeon. They are the ones who really know what's going on. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I wish I could help in some way!

I meant to say that the surgeons are the ones who are trained for this. General practitioners and even GIs don't know how to handle post surgery complications. I don't think they're trying to pass you off, but genuinely concerned because they know it's out of their expertise area.

Oh dear, Anna. It's OK, you can have a pity party - you've been through so much.

As Sybil said, even though you don't like your surgeon, it might be best for him to have a look as he will be used to post-surgery complications. And hospital sounds like the best thing for you at the moment. :hug:

annawato

Staff member
Christina and Susan. I know you're right - its just after spending 6 months there last year the thought of returning is awful. But I can do it if I have too. Just have to get the hospital hat on again. At least I've got lots of friends amongst the staff now! :) :) :)
I'll see how it looks when the nurse come tomorrow and if no improvement go to the hospital. The surgeon who did my last op isn't at our local hospital but my usual surgeon who I really like is so he can have a look and if necessary then refer me to the dick.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
So sorry annawato :(. I hope the antibiotics work for you and that things start to clear up soon. And yes, just like you said go to the doctor if you feel something is wrong, you should add go to the ER as well. :hug:

annawato

Staff member
Well I'm feeling a LOT better today. Less pain, less redness. I think the oral AB's are working. Must have been all the wonderful support from you guy's! :) :) :)

Good luck hope the antibiotics do the trick and you don't need to go to hospital. Hope you feel better soon and hope you don't need to go to hospital. Got everything crossed for you keep me posted

Terriernut

Anna, very happy to hear today is a better day! No doubt the oral antibiotics are doing their job and fingers crossed this is your last hurdle for a looooong time!

Glad you are feeling better, Anna! Never feel sorry for having a bad day though.. I think we all need days where we feel sorry for ourselves... it's good for us to wallow sometimes.

Hope things continue to improve!!

annawato

Staff member
Saw the doctor today and she was happy with my progress. Nothing nasty was grown from the swabs so all is good. Still a little pain and tenderness but that should go with continued antibiotics. Yippee. Interestingly I've heard of two other people in the area who have also had cellulitis in the last week - maybe there is something in the water haha.

annawato

Staff member
Me too! The family are all off to Queensland on Thursday and there would be no-one to look after Cookie (my dog):(. Plus to be honest, I am quite looking forward to having the house to myself for a few days. :) :) :)