• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cut in Gut?

So I was changing my bag tonight, and where the washer had been which was slightly over my piece of gut there was a very narrow piece of discolouration - white. It looks like it's sort of sticking out between my red pieces of gut. Is this even possible? No poo is coming from it or anything. I did fall over in the woods whilst taking the dogs for a walk today so I don't know whether it's that. I don't seem to be having pain from it either. Just I've seen it and gone into a slight panic. Can anyone help?
On another note, completely random, but I spent the weekend feeling really low. I'm now properly angry with myself because I shouldn't waste my time feeling so low because then these sorts of things happen.

I have a loop ileo and every now and then the "inactive" side of intestine just at the bottom of my stoma will spit up mucus. It sometimes gets caught in a fold of the stoma and is stringy. Is that possibly what you are seeing? When you wipe it, does it stay white?

If you could take a picture and post it, that would be very helpful.

annawato

Staff member
Are you having output from your stoma? Thats the important thing. Perhaps the part of the stoma that had the ring sitting on it had temporarily lost its blood supply due to the pressure on it. It will probably resolve itself once there is no pressure on it but if it doesn't I would give the surgeon a call.
As for feeling down, its ok to feel down once in awhile and you shouldn't be angry at yourself for feeling like that. Just say, oh well i was down yesterday but today I'm feeling good. Aren't i clever to get over it so quickly- or something like that. :) I think we all have days when we feel down. The main thing is not to wallow in it. Let the feelings pass by doing something you get satisfaction from or treating yourself to something special. Its not always easy but I find if I try and think about good things rather than thinking about all the bad things in my life it can help.
Let us know about the mystery whiteness. It is very curious.
:heart: anna

Just thought I'd say thanks to everyone, last night I just felt really panicky. Today I feel calmer and know it was probably nothing, but as I have a stoma appointment on Thursday if it's still there then they'll probably know. However output is fine etc. But thanks everyone for your support!

annawato

Staff member
It is possible to get cuts in the stoma from the baseplate. I guess they just heal like any other cut.

I don't know if it's the same thing but here is something that happened to mine due to the edge of the plate digging in, it kind of formed a white ulcer/cut thing. It healed over quite quickly once the problem was solved (different shape of plate)

Attachments

It didn't really hurt, maybe a faint sting... I was worried at the time it was ulceration due to active disease but the stoma nurse correctly identified it as pressure damage from the edge of the bag

Yeah - when I went in for an appointment it was gone. Think it was where I got the washer thing stuck over the side slightly and it didn't like it. Thanks though everyone :)