• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Exhausted, sick, frustrate

Hello everyone-- my name is Ashlinn and I need some advice, comfort, etc. I'm only 21.. I'm a full time student and work as much as I can (less since I've been sick).

Since the beginning of January, I've been sick. My dad has been in remission from Crohn's/Colitis for 23 years but I am STILL undiagnosed two months later. These have been my symptoms:

-Frequent diarrhea (with urgency)
-Serious abdominal cramping
-Nausea
-Exhaustion
-Easy bruising
-Lots of colon noises (gurgling, etc)
-Blood/mucus (which Dr says she isn't worried about because I have a fissure)
-Episodes for a few weeks, then I will feel better (but not normal... just won't have constant diarrhea) for a bit and then it will start again. We haven't been able to figure out what triggers it
-Weight loss. I was around 120-124 beginning of January. Last dr's visit (last week) I weighed 105... I'm 5'4
-Urgency to go but only mucus comes out
-Extreme light headedness/dizzy at times
-Have had blood ranging from just on TP to toilet bowl is red...

I've tried clear liquid diet, bland and REALLY basic diet, etc. Liquid diet helped with diarrhea but still had cramping. Doctor has put me on levsin, benefiber, probiotics, etc but nothing has seemed to be the perfect remedy.

I had a sigmoidoscopy middle of January with biopsies. Everything appeared to be normal. My labs were a little off but nothing that provided any definitive information. One doctor said it might be IBS, the other in the office said it didn't fit because I don't have relief after diarrhea.. the pain, discomfort, etc continues.

I'm having a small bowel follow through next week. I am really praying that some sort of information comes from it. I'm SOO sick of being sick without any sort of explanation

nativesith

GTA ModLeader Psx-Scene
That sounds like all the symptoms. Have you tried Ensure?
I went through the same colonoscopy to find nothing , jus made it all worse.
Try a low reisdue diet(google it) with ensure. I also use Lax a day for movements.
Drink Gatorade for electrolytes.
Hung and prayers.:)

Thank you. I do drink Gatorade and Ensure-- hoping it helps prevent further weight loss. I will look into low residue. Were you ever diagnosed?

Also, I'm assuming lax a day is a laxative.. that wouldn't help with diarrhea would it?! I'm not having constipation.

That sounds like a good bet for IBD, but you'll need more tests. IMHO, sigmoidoscopy is nearly useless if it is suspected Crohns, since Crohns can be anywhere in there and the sigmoid colon is like 2% of your digestive tract :p colonoscopy really should be done as well - good that you're having the SBFT its a good test. It sounds like with the weight loss and exhaustion there is probably malabsorption occurring - which would indicate small bowel involvement. Next time you go in for tests - ask for vitamin levels to be checked - the most important ones for Crohns patients are usually, Vitamins D3 and B12, Iron, Magnesium, and I think one more that I'm forgetting... I don't know that there's actually a test for magnesium, but it can't hurt to supplement it anyway since your body will only use what it needs.

Keep taking your probiotics and have yourself a good dose of positive attitude - it'll go a long way. And if there's anything I've learned around here, it's that it won't be this way forever, you'll get better. Hang in there

Hello. some Crohh,s is located in the terminal ileum, (where the small intestine and big intestine meet.) and can only be seen with endoscopy. There is also another part(sorrry I do not remember the name) that can not be seen by colo nor endo. only by MRI. You have all the symptoms for crohn's including the fissure. And a fissure is something you have to worry about. Hope you find some answers soon.

I understand you pain and frustration. I first became sick when i was 12 (now 30) and went for years without being diagnosed. I went to numbers of GIs who all had different opinions about why I was sick. Not only was feeling terrible bad enough, but having no answers made it so much worse.

I was finally diagnosed with small bowl Crohn's about 10 years ago. A small bowl series might help shed some light on your symptoms, it was what finally confirmed my diagnosis. I've had countless colonoscopies that reveal no sign of disease.

Hang in and feel better