• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

16 years old, my story..................

im 16 going on 17 and ive been an active person climbing, white water kayaking, walking on the moors and i was very fit and toned with muscle 75-80 kg in weight. then 4 months ago i slowly went down hill with pain in my stomach and not eating anything, sleeping 12-16 hours and just getting worse .i dont do the doctors and hospital so a month of having this pain so then went to my gp and they sent me away thinking it was a pulled muscle. because im so active but ive pulled muscles and it didnt feel like a pulled muscle so 2 weeks after it wasnt better. went back then they said it was ibs so i went of with medication and still no better. so spent nearly 2 months with this pain, no eating and loads of sleeping then it was Christmas and my mum went away for a week and she said "when i get back and your still not feeling any better we will go back to the doctors" . week later back to the doctors and was sent to hospital (sad times). so they did some scans and where my small and large bowel was inflamed so thats why i dont have the runs with crohn's (i think im very lucky). so i stayed in hospital for 4-5 days and i was put on a ibd modulen diet for 6 weeks and antibiotic and was doing well for the first week then i missed food to much so i went on a low fiber diet (super strict) then 4 weeks later doneone day at collage and i went down hill with super inflamed bowel and my leg was retracted with pain so back to the hospital with so they weighed me and i lost 25kg in muscle so i was weak and in pain so they took me of modulen and on to the steroids so could eat junk food and add weight (mad me soo happy i could eat) more scans later they had found a abscess where the bowel had been in contact with a muscle in my back causing my leg to retract. so i had to get the infection down and steroids wont help that so a day of having plenty of junk food they put me on 3 lots of antibiotics and back on the modulen (sad times). but they said go on it for 1 week and go back on to the steroids. so 3 days in i could do no more with modulen and i had to eat so they put me back on to the steroids and this was 2 days ago from now. so yesterday i was eating sooooo much so this morning i was being sick and now back in hospital because i have eaten to much to quickly. soo im now a weight of 49kg on steroids and 3 lots of antibiotics and not going to be back at collage till september so ive lost 1 year of collage but now got to work hard to build my muscle and start climbing again then and to be the normal me :)

p.s. sorry about the grammar

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Stafford, welcome to the forum. My goodness, you've been through a lot at such a young age, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad to hear that things are sounding more positive now though, that's very good. You say you're going to work hard to rebuild muscle, so I presume you've got an exercise plan in place? We've got a fitness discussion support group here if you'd like to join us:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=47978

Personally, exercise has made a huge difference for me, so I applaud you for trying to build your muscle mass back up again. It may take a long time (it did for me!) but it is worth it and your body will thank you for it. Good luck with it and of course make sure you take it slow at first. Again, welcome! :)

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Hi Staford and welcome to the forum. I too lost alot of weight before I was told that I had crohns. Was very active as well so I know what you mean. But I can tell you this, you will get better and get back to doing the things you love. I'm well on my way to doing that. I'm almost back to my normal size and you will do the same.
Hang in there and please keep your head up.
By the way, there are alot of people your age in the chatroom here. You should come and visit us there. Hope to see ya.
Jim.

HI Stafford! Welcome to the forum! You have had a rough year, but I hope that you will start to feel better soon. I know that it is hard to be patient and move slowly (you are very active) but it sounds like your body is needling for you to take things more slowly. Take the medicines you have been prescribed and stay in contact with your doctor. Increase your food intake slowly...don't try to get healthy and gain the weight and muscle back in one day. It will come, but you have to help your body.

I hope you are feeling better soon,
-Lisa

Hi Stafford, Thankyou for sharing your story with us. So sorry to hear all you have been through. Everyone is different with crohn's it seems and they will find what works best for you. I suggest you read about the forum and look into the different diets. There is one about a young man who started using raw milk and good probiotics and eating fermented food like Kimchee and it has really helped him. I just found it before I came on here. So you shouldn't have trouble finding it. Who knows, it may help. He also eats organic and local and raw alot. I know, opposite of what we are told, but it is helping him immensely. Blessings to you and hope you are well soon!

His story is called "I have Crohns, got raw foods." Under Your story, a few above your listing.

rygon

Hi and welcome to the forum. I used to be very active as well (kickboxing, rockclimbing, snowboarding etc) but have had a couple of years out due to this disease.

Its frustrating not being able to properly exercise but once you can start take it easily as its very easy to hurt yourself and put you a few months back (says me who broke his wrist and damaged a tendon last year :p).

Remember you can always do more another day. Little and often is the best way to go in my opinion to start off with.

Also dont worry about having a year off from college, A year is nothing when it comes to job plans. Ive had 2 years out from my degree and feel better for it

Great advice rygon for anyone who hasn't exercised in awhile. I did hardly nothing and somehow injured my knee and am still in pain. I have rheumy appt. this Thurs. Can't wait to see what she says and hoping to get a knee brace fitted.