• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm Zebrina, I'm new!

Hi everyone, I'm Zebrina. I am a 19 year old girl and I was diagnosed with Crohn's February 2011. I don't know anyone that has Crohns, or anyone that knows what I'm going through, so that's why I'm here. I just need some people to talk to. Here's my story.. It all started the day after thanks giving when I was throwing up my thanksgiving dinner in the emergency room.. I had swine flu.. And after that I had bad abdominal cramps, so we just thought that I was lactose intolerant because every time I drank milk my stomach would hurt and make SCARY noises, they were so embarrassing. I started seeing my main doctor and he reffered me to a gastrointestinal doctor. I got a colonoscopy done and that was the day my whole life changed. He said you have Crohns and I started bawling like a baby (I sware it was because I was out of it). He put me on 3 pills of Entocort every morning, and it was not helping me at all.. Almost making me feel worse! In school my stomach would make terrible growling noises like I was hungry, but wasn't. It was just pain! I just recently got off Entocort and he switched it to Pentasa. So far it is helping pretty good but taking 8 pills a day plus vitamins is a lot of work for me. I have no health insurance and my mom doesn't either, so it's hard for me to get treated and get the medicine I need. I think Pentasa in like 900 something dollars a month. There's no way.. I tried to get help but it's so hard and I just feel like giving up. I weigh about 95 pounds and would do anything to gain weight, but I can't. :( (ive been on steroids before) It's just so hard for me to stay strong, and sometimes I break down. You all probably know how that is though.

Sorry so long.. But I also have some concerns.

I have this thing on my inner wrist and we thought it was a ring worm but it isn't and I have no idea what it is. I kinda looks like the shape of a ring worm. Doesn't itch, sometimes just painful. Doctor says hydrocortisone so I've been putting that on it but no signs of it getting better.

Also this may be gross.. But on my anus I have 2 blister looking bumps. Could be hemroid? Any ideas? They bleed if I squeeze too hard. Could that be why when I use the bathroom sometimes it's bloody? They stick out pretty far and don't bother me until after I poo. I've been putting some preparation H on it for a couple days but I don't think it's working. I just have no idea.

If you all would like to share your thoughts about gaining weight, the thing on my wrist, medical insurance, things on my booty hole, or just to say hi please do it! I like to make friends! :)

Zebrina,

Welcome to the forum. i am so sorry you found out you have Crohns. this forum will give you lots of information and support.

Yes it is a tough disease and my heart goes out to you.

Is there anyway you can apply for medical aid. Someone on here might be able to give you some advice on that...

I am not sure about the ring on your arm. Might have to google that one.

The blisters sound like they could be abscesses. Your GI might have some medication for that. Maybe the hydrocoristone cream you already have? should ask him.

Where is your Crohns? If you are bleeding you could try a steroid cream that is inserted by you into the anus. It helps with inflammation in the rectal area and sigmoid colon.

check out our diet section to find out ideas for gaining weight.

keep us informed of how your doing, and other will be joining in and giving you lots of good advice...

Hi Zebrina, sorry to hear you're feeling low, but you've definitely come to the right place. I've had loads of good advice from here, sometimes it helps by just reading other peoples stories and realizing you're not alone. I did have a couple of boil-type looking things on my butt 2 or 3 years ago. I rubbed some antiseptic cream on them a couple of times a day after a shower and they gradually went down after a couple of weeks. Don't know if this was due to the fact I had diarrhoea and was going about 20 times a day! Just sore from wiping maybe? Anyway, don't ever worry about things being 'gross' we are all friends here and all have different experiences, good and bad x lots of hugs:thumright:

Hi Zebrina:

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry you have had such a rough time. Crohns so a very trying disease, but you have definitely come to the right place as we have either experienced something similar or have a loved one who is struggling and you don't have to worry about talking about something that is embarrassing because we have been there! For me, my 20 year old daughter was diagnosed five years ago.

Are you taking any vitamins? Vitamins can help you as much as meds can sometimes, they are very affordable and often times you can take them along with your meds after you have checked it out with your GI.

Lisa :soledance:

Welcome Zebrina, I'm new too, here for my 18 almost 19 year old son. boys are less vocal about their stuff, so its been difficult dealing and helping him. I'm trying to do one good thing a day for him, even if he doesn't know it. I did get him on SSI which comes with medicad, that may be something worth investicating for you if you can't work. Hang in there!

KWalker

Hello and welcome Zebrina! I'm sorry you've been going through some difficulties but I'm glad you've found us :)

I wanted to specifically address your concern about the blister-like spots because I think you should get that looked out or keep a close eye on it. First, don't for one second think that's gross or be ashamed to post things like that because a lot of us have the same problems and we're all here to help :)

Now, those spots could be a number of things. They could be hemmerhoids like you said, but when you said they were big it made me think otherwise. My concern is that they can be abscesses and that can require surgery if it is in fact abscesses without proper antibiotics. There is also a possibility that they could be fissures if they are bleeding like that. Do you notice that it is only bleeding or do you get like a pus-like drainage sometimes as well?

I have experience with abscesses and most of the pain was around bathroom time because of the discomfort caused from loose stools interacting with the abscesses and I left them too long so I required surgery. Many people however can go on antibiotics such as Cipro and Flagyl and sometimes those can take care of the problem before further treatment is needed. Have you have your doctor look at it?

Thank you all for being so nice!
I have looked on the Internet for the ring on my wrist but haven't found anything.
The bumps on my butt, I've never seen puss come out of them. Just blood, and no I haven't showed them I the doctor because I just don't have the money to go right now :( Hopefully the stuff I'm putting on it helps.
I am in the process of getting Medicare and help with paying for medicine but it is taking forever and they never seem to contact me.

Thank you all for being so nice again, and knowing what I'm going through.
It makes me happy :)

Welcome Zebrina, I'm new too, here for my 18 almost 19 year old son. boys are less vocal about their stuff, so its been difficult dealing and helping him. I'm trying to do one good thing a day for him, even if he doesn't know it. I did get him on SSI which comes with medicad, that may be something worth investicating for you if you can't work. Hang in there!

Thank you :) I'm actually in the process of getting SSI, an Medicare and that stuff. It's just taking them a really long time. What do I do while I wait? Also I don't work but I'm going to cosmetology school part time. Best wishes to your son too! Did you guys change his diet or anything?

Yes, formulas and coconut oil, now potatoe chips. He is pretty non'compliant with the diet though. Thank you, and hope to catch up with you again, gotta go. Welcome again.

Zebrina,

I am currently looking onto adding Kefir to my daughters diet. It is full of good bacteria and so I heard you have to add them slowly. You can buy at the store or make your own. I havent gotten that far but if you are interested, I can send you the info once I get the recipe. I am excited to try it for her. No chemicals, all natural and not expensive!! Probably good recipes in the diet section on this forum.

talk soon

Hi Zebrina and welcome I am relatively new here to and I am from Kentucky. I go to my GI in St Louis Mo. I am sorry to hear of your issues and I just wanted to let you know I like to make friends to and you will find lots of friends and support on this forum. Feel free to contact me anytime even if it's just to talk. Wish you luck

Hi Zebrina and welcome. I'm a mom of a 19 year old diagnosed last year.

Are you wearing any new jewelry or watch on that wrist? Contact dermatitis can cause a ring worm type appearance.

In terms of gaining weight, the key I think is getting the Crohn's under control. Many people seem to gain on smoothies or nutritional supplements such as ensure or boost.
Liquid blended food/ smoothies may be better tolerated and absorbed.

Best wishes!

Hey buddy, sorry to hear your struggling ATM, things get better, once you get your meds sorted and Crohn's in remission you'll start to gain some weight. Hang in there and I hope you start feeling better soon!

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Hi Zebrina, Welcome to Crohnsforum. I am happy you have decided to join us.

Could your perianal blisters be these: [wiki]Anal Skin Tags[/wiki]? If so, you may find some relief using a Sitz bath and a Barrier cream afterwards (such as Desitin). As KWalker mentioned, you and your medical team should keep a close watch just in case it develops into an abscess.

As a followup to Xmdmom's excellent point..... if you are wearing a watch on that wrist moisture can build up underneath and cause fungus to grow. If this is the case, the hydrocortisone cream may actually make things worse. A cream like Lamisil (and stop wearing the watch for a while) may offer some relief in this case (check with your physician before changing any medication though).

Welcome again, I hope you are feeling better and am so pleased you have decided to join us.

Zebrina,

I am currently looking onto adding Kefir to my daughters diet. It is full of good bacteria and so I heard you have to add them slowly. You can buy at the store or make your own. I havent gotten that far but if you are interested, I can send you the info once I get the recipe. I am excited to try it for her. No chemicals, all natural and not expensive!! Probably good recipes in the diet section on this forum.

talk soon

Yes I would love to know more! Thank you! :)

Hi Zebrina and welcome. I'm a mom of a 19 year old diagnosed last year.

Are you wearing any new jewelry or watch on that wrist? Contact dermatitis can cause a ring worm type appearance.

In terms of gaining weight, the key I think is getting the Crohn's under control. Many people seem to gain on smoothies or nutritional supplements such as ensure or boost.
Liquid blended food/ smoothies may be better tolerated and absorbed.

Best wishes!

No I'm no wearing jewelry on that wrist, it doesn't itch or anything. I forget its even there. I just started making smoothies! Thank you!

Zebrina,

You can actually find Kefir in the refigerated health food section. It can run $4-5.oo. I will get back to you with the recipe once I figure out how I want to do it. I saw several youtube videos on it. I thought I would check with the real pros on this site for their recipes :)

I bought Baylee one today that was actually lactose free. They happen to be on sale for $1.50 and contained 4 live bacteria. I think that is a smaller amount which is good to start with.

Zebrina: 3/4/2013
I just found a place to get great info on Kefir:
http://www.homemademommy.net/2012/09/why-i-love-kefir-and-what-are-kefir-grains.html

homemade Kefir has way more good bacteria... it said to start with a teaspoon a day for the first week. :) Very easy to make. I just need to see where I can buy some of maybe a friend might have some to share.

julie

Last edited:
Zebrina,

You can actually find Kefir in the refigerated health food section. It can run $4-5.oo. I will get back to you with the recipe once I figure out how I want to do it. I saw several youtube videos on it. I thought I would check with the real pros on this site for their recipes :)

I bought Baylee one today that was actually lactose free. They happen to be on sale for $1.50 and contained 4 live bacteria. I think that is a smaller amount which is good to start with.

Zebrina: 3/4/2013
I just found a place to get great info on Kefir:
http://www.homemademommy.net/2012/09/why-i-love-kefir-and-what-are-kefir-grains.html

homemade Kefir has way more good bacteria... it said to start with a teaspoon a day for the first week. :) Very easy to make. I just need to see where I can buy some of maybe a friend might have some to share.

julie
Yes let me know the recipe when you make it! Sounds interesting. I'll have to let my mom know about this so she can help me find some. :)

Hi Zebrina:

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry you have had such a rough time. Crohns so a very trying disease, but you have definitely come to the right place as we have either experienced something similar or have a loved one who is struggling and you don't have to worry about talking about something that is embarrassing because we have been there! For me, my 20 year old daughter was diagnosed five years ago.

Are you taking any vitamins? Vitamins can help you as much as meds can sometimes, they are very affordable and often times you can take them along with your meds after you have checked it out with your GI.

Lisa :soledance:
Do you have any vitamins that you recommend? That have helped your daughter?

Hi Zabrina, I new too. I have all sorts of weird tags and things growing around my bum - in my own mind I call my anus "The birds nest" Show your Dr as they could be nothing or a condition some of the others mentioned that needs ASAP intervention. The steroid I now take makes weird rashes and I am also allergic to the sun because of it - google the drugs you are on and check side effects. I get all number of weird rashes frin hivey looking things to a bright red rash that lasts a few days and goes away. This disease and the drugs we take makes for plenty of surprises! Thinking of you Jen

Do you have any vitamins that you recommend? That have helped your daughter?
Hi Zebrina:

You should ask your GI to test your levels for the following vitamins:

Vitamin D
Vitamin B12
Calcium
Folic Acid
Iron
Magnesium
Zinc

People with Crohns are often deficient in some or all of these. Once you know what you are low in, you will know which vitamins to take. My daughter found that taking 5,000 IUs of Vitamin D3 and 400 MCGs of Folic Acid helped.

Ask them to test ALL of your vitamin levels, even for some I did not mention. The more you learn about what you are deficient in, the better.

Also, read the book, "The Vitamin D Solution" by Michael Holick. Vitamin D is one of the key vitamins that you need to know about.

I hope you feel better soon!

Lisa :heart:

Lisa

Zebrina, your post speaks of the trails and tribulations and getting help and you are, good for you. And you have a beautiful smile. Kinsey

Hi Zebrina:

You should ask your GI to test your levels for the following vitamins:

Vitamin D
Vitamin B12
Calcium
Folic Acid
Iron
Magnesium
Zinc

People with Crohns are often deficient in some or all of these. Once you know what you are low in, you will know which vitamins to take. My daughter found that taking 5,000 IUs of Vitamin D3 and 400 MCGs of Folic Acid helped.

Ask them to test ALL of your vitamin levels, even for some I did not mention. The more you learn about what you are deficient in, the better.

Also, read the book, "The Vitamin D Solution" by Michael Holick. Vitamin D is one of the key vitamins that you need to know about.

I hope you feel better soon!

Lisa :heart:

Lisa
I will have to do that. Just the medical bills :( I do take D3 and B12 eveyday though!