• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Becca

Hi, my name is Becca.

I've recently been diagnosed with Crohn's. I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis in August 2012. I also have asthma, hayfever, ezcema, iron anemia, folic acid anemia, Vit B12 anemia and Vit D deficiency. (The list keeps growing). May have psoriasis but not had it checked (its never there when I'm at the doctors). Think I may have CD related athritis in my ankle, it swells up every now n then for no reason.

I'm currently on sulfasalazine, ferrous sulphate, folic acid, B12 injections, Vit D Supplements, salbutamol, fostair and get the occasional steriod injection when needed.:eek2:

I am currently working towards a profeccional qualification in management accounting, while working full time so I have no time to myself at the moment but not far off been qualified.

So been a hectic past 6 months, got married, got diagnosed with AS, tests for CD, went on honey moon, diagnosed with CD and started studying again after a year off! I'll be glad when the exams are done in May. :ybatty:

Just to say Hi!

Hi Becca
I don't post much but I thought I'd say hi... I live in the Pennines and for me Leeds is "the Big City"... I try not to look like too much of a bumpkin when I'm wandering around... heh! heh!

Sounds like you have a lot to put up with, and although you have a very busy schedule it does seem (from your post) that you are coping OK.

I think my CD manifested itself as joint swelling before I was first diagnosed... a long time ago... and although I've had my crohns-related moments I've managed to have a very active life so far.

Hope your exams go OK!

rygon

Wow, well what a busy year you have had. Congratulations on getting married :)

I think a lot of people with CD/UC do have other auto immune diseases. I have asthma and get eczema mainly when stressed (and also hayfever).

I agree Beks, peeps with CD often seem to get other autoimmune diseases or conditions including myself. Ive learned just to take one day at a time. Good for you leading such a full life, Im encouraged! HUGS JenX

Thanks all and Hello! It's been a hectic few months with one thing after another. Hoping it'll settle down now!

I like to keep myself busy. Its been a hard week to cope with since my medication has been giving me mood swings, driving me insane but hopefully they will be long gone soon enough!

So I think I am having my first flare up.

It made me realise that I haven't been back to the IBD clinic since I was diagnosed in January. Also made me realise the small amount of information they have actually given me.

It appears that I fell through the grid. I rang them because I haven't been well and they booked me in. I had V&D but thought it was a bug. Then I struggled to eat much, just feeling full all the time and when I did force myself to eat I was sick 9 hours later brining up all the food. This made me realise that it wasn't just a bug, not a week later.

So I'm back on the list for the IBD clinic, go back in 4 weeks. Have changed my medication but I don't think that my rheumatologist will be happy! We shall just see how it goes on.

Has anybody got any advice to managing my first flare? There is so much information out there it is hard to take in. So far I've decided not to eat sweetcorn.

Also it has made me realise the impact that this can have on my life. Been ill just over a week and I have lost track of time. I've got an engagement party, a 21st and my Dad's birthday all on Saturday and have not got anything for any of them. Meant to be baking for the 21st. Forgot about my friends pamper party tomorrow. I am running low on energy and I am struggling but don't want to let people down and/or tell people that I have been ill.

Just feeling a bit feb up and worn down.

Hi Becca!

I understand what you mean about losing track of time. When your flare has died down you'll look back and think 'wow, where did all those days/weeks/months go'. It just blends into one big period of pain and tiredness.

You shouldnt push yourself too much. Your body needs to rest, you will be absolutely exhausted. I'm sure your friends and family will understand that you have been ill.

With regards to your eating, just eat what you feel you can. People say use food diaries etc, I find that if I want something specific to eat, I'll eat it and be fine. If the thought of eating something I would usually eat just absolutely gives me the heave, then I'll avoid it. I think thats my way of telling what I should and shouldnt be eating :) we're all different though.

What I can recommend though, is ice poles! Helps with dry mouth, the horrible taste in your mouth, very cooling and soothing. I must go through about 40 a week!

Hope you manage to feel a bit better soon.

K xx

Thank you for your reply. I do feel exhausted and it gives me that fed up feeling.

I am back to eating normally again now. Although still getting that funny taste. I know what you mean about the food. My husband ordered our favourite pizza and the smell of it turned my stomach, luckily the ben & jerry's sorted that out.

I've not heard them been called icepoles before! I like it. :eek2: The only problem is that ice makes me cringe. As long as it doesn't touch my teeth I can enjoy them.