• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flu or crohns?

Just two weeks ago I came down with the flu that lasted 5 days. Today I am feeling those same symptoms: sweating, weak, diarrhea, LOTS of bloating/gas, stomach ache and vomiting!!! I've never gotten sick twice this close together. My question is...is this flu or crohns? I typically have diarrhea and stomach pain with crohns but not vomiting.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

:stinks:

Okay, so first off, I agree with had_enough. Give this thing some time. The U.S. has seen a really bad flu season. Tell us about this: I typically have diarrhea and stomach pain with crohns but not vomiting. You have had Crohns like symptoms in the past?

So, had_enough, are you a big Celtics fan? I actually have a brick with my name on it somewhere in Celtic park.

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
What meds are you on for your Crohn's? Immunosuppression can cause you to be more susceptible to this bugs. This is something you may want to make your doctor aware of because it is not normal to have this that close together.

I agree with most here I think- give it a month or so and see and if your really concerned call your GI. I pretty much always have ALL of those symptoms when my crohn's is acting up- but I can usually tell the difference... there is just something about it I guess.

Okay, so first off, I agree with had_enough. Give this thing some time. The U.S. has seen a really bad flu season. Tell us about this: I typically have diarrhea and stomach pain with crohns but not vomiting. You have had Crohns like symptoms in the past?

So, had_enough, are you a big Celtics fan? I actually have a brick with my name on it somewhere in Celtic park.
I was diagnosed with crohns in sept 2012. I almost always have diarrhea and when I have flare ups I have stomach pain.

Dukeis: I'm not on medication as I do not have health insurance to see a GI.:yfrown:

I was diagnosed with crohns in sept 2012. I almost always have diarrhea and when I have flare ups I have stomach pain.

Dukeis: I'm not on medication as I do not have health insurance to see a GI.:yfrown:
Well, I ask because I get vomiting some and when I was first sick a long time ago and before any diagnosis, I had vomiting more often. I still agree with everyone else. Could be Crohns is just making it a bit harder to get completely over that darn flu.

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord

Is there not some sort of free clinic or program to help you get treatment there? Going untreated isn't good, but I'm sure you are aware of that.

Is there not some sort of free clinic or program to help you get treatment there? Going untreated isn't good, but I'm sure you are aware of that.
I wish there was! I have been to a GI surgeon without insurance and racked up quite the bill that I cannot pay. If there is a free clinic, I am unaware. We have a clinic that has family doctors and such for those without insurance so its income based. But they do not have a GI. :(

There is that Norwalk virus that is going around everywhere around the globe it seems. I just saw that Queen Elizabeth was hospitalized with it even. Ughh, it is awful, causes vomiting, nausea, diarreha etc... I have been praying not to get that one. This is likely what you have. Hope you feel better soon....

I'm thinking its the flu too bc of the vomiting. :-(
Thank u!

hey- Im also without insurance- ask at the free clinic about if they have any GI's that they work with who will give you discounts. also the free clinic might have programs for reduced cost meds- that's what I do. Additionally the hospital near you with a GI might have some fin aid programs if they have a GI clinic (I did that for a while with my old pediatric GI at the AR children's hospital until I aged out)