• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bruise/Pain at injection site

I give my son a methotrexate injection weekly in his upper thigh. We alternate legs. Last weekend, he had a sharp pain in his right leg, so I injected his left. This week, the left leg still has a bruise from last weekend. Also, the right leg hurt again when I tried it. He says it feels like hitting a nerve?

Anyone know what could cause this? He has been taking it since July 2012. It is doing a great job on the IBD, so I want to resolve this pain issue!

Last edited:
I got bruises all the time when I was on it and they took forever to go away. I think this was more of me reacting to the physical needle going into my skin than the medicine itself. I would bleed too sometimes, I assume I hit a vein.

Maybe you're holding the needle at a bad angle? Or maybe his leg is sore for some unrelated reason. It's hard to say really :S Try giving his leg a rest from the injections for a few weeks. Maybe try the back of his arm for a while and then go back to his leg and see if it's better.

PsychoJane

I would second Inwe with the back of the arm idea. I know that the few time I had them given at the beginning they would do them on that site and I would find it more comfortable than thighs. Personally I would prefer to inject myself in my belly fat but I already ended up with terrible (though painless) bruises from them.