• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone & severe head pain

My 12 year old son (75lbs) has been on 60mg per day of Prednisone for a week and has been getting bad pain in the back of his head when he exerts himself or even drinks thru a straw. So basketball in gym, jogging, situps, running the stairs, etc. It could also be the Apriso, as they have caused occasional bad head aches in the past, but didn't continue for 3 days. Any ideas or similar experiences. Thank you!

I'm so sorry he's having bad headaches. Have you tried calling the doctor? I hope the headaches go away quickly and he gets some relief. (((hugs)))) good luck

Grace is 4 and on 20mg per day. The sheet of side-effects says call the Doctor if your having head aches. It might have something to do with blood pressure.

His doc just said try Tylenol, like I want to give him that 24/7, another drug hard on the liver. I am more concerned of him busting a blood vessel or affecting his blood pressure- his face turns red too! Can't wait to visit our new doctor on April 8th!

Can you go to a walk-in clinic and at least have them check his BP and pulse. Maybe have him run before hand so you can see what's it's doing? When you said his doc is that his GP or GI?

Gi....his resting BP was very good yesterday but may go again and run in place or sit ups would bring it on quickly.

That way you would now for sure. Side-effects happen but you always should trust your instincts to make sure it's nothing dangerous.

Hugs I hope it all goes well.

In my opinion, its always better to be safe than sorry. Headaches that last or are severe are never something to play around with.

Headaches are listed as a side effect but I don't think they are suppose to be severe. My son would get them from being dehydrated but again not severe.

We ended up in the ER because my son had a racing heart while on Prednisone. It ended up being nothing and we felt sort of silly afterwards but as the others said better safe than sorry. Anything that is extreme pain or keeps him from functioning, I would go to the ER.

For the first few months after diagnosis I didn't know what was important and what wasn't. After a year and a half I have a much better handle on it. I think the Dr.'s would much rather have a mom who asks about everything than one who misses meds, appointments and doesn't take this illness seriously.

Hopefully your son is feeling better soon! Mine is 12 years old too :)

Thank you Johnnysmom. I guess until he is finished the high dose, he is going to have to take it easy, or maybe he will adjust. I feel like I am buggy the heck out of his doctor this past week. He first had bad stomach bloating, which subsided and now the head pain. Is Johnny in remission now? How does he do on the mp-6?

I was on prednisone in the fall and I had terrible migraines. They lasted for a few months and every couple of days they would go away for a few hours. It was terrible. My doctor wasn't sure if it was from the prednisone or from stress (I'm a freshman in college and I was having roommate problems). After I got off of prednisone and moved into a single room my headached went away. I hope your son feels better!!!!

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
I'm sorry your son is suffering so. I hope that they go away soon. Is he getting good sleep or is the pred interfering with that too. Migraines and lack of sleep go hand in hand...

The doctor lowered his dosage yesterday and he is doing much better. Made sure he was drinking more water too. Thank u all so much. He gets ups to pee 2 times a night, otherwise he sleeps well.