• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Appetite

Hello,

So i am close to a month now on the SCD. My crohns seems to be reacting very positively. I'm really excited about that fact, and would encourage anyone else on the fence about trying the SCD to try it. However, force yourself not to cheat if you do it. Otherwise its a wasted effort.

Anyway, i'm finding that my appetite is off a lot of the time. I think some of it is due to the fact that the foods I usually gravitate to generally aren't SCD legal foods. I need to try and gain some weight, so lack of an appetite isn't helping.

Anyone else on the SCD had this happen?

Thanks.

E simply does not have the appetite he once had. His "crave" foods (pizza, burgers, etc) are no longer an option. We have learned to make WHAT he eats count. If he eats an apple, he eats it with a good bit of peanut butter and honey mixed. Nuts are loaded so we keep lots of roasted cashews on hand (his fav). If you bake anything with almond flour then the calorie count is high because of the nuts involved. It takes thinking at first, but you get accustomed to boosting the calories in the foods you are eating. We make homemade mayo and I will whip that up into sauces and put it on top of meats. I try to have him eat a piece of fruit with meals to add carbs with the protein/fat. It is easy to lose weight if you don't establish calorie boosting habits.

Ngng- i ate a lot of sandwiches, pizza, pasta. You know, everything processed!

I've been on a gluten free diet a long time but fell off the wagon because i never could tell the diff in how i felt, even though i was diagnosed with celiac.

So far, the scd versions of my usual suspects arent doing it for me, but i was always a picky eater.

I'm looking forward to spring, and grilling out. Some of my summertime favorites are still In the game.

Can't wait to try to smoke some scd baby back ribs :)

nogutsnoglory

A lot of those bread like things can be made with almond flour and coconut flour. I think those are scd legal but I'm not following the diet so not sure. Just be careful if stricturing since they are high in fiber.

Charleigh-

That makes sense. I def need to try to squeeze in extra calories when i can.

Part of the challenge is my daily commitments. Life seems to be hovering between chaos and pandemonium, so finding time to research a recipe that wets my whistle, then shopping for it, then preparing it or asking my wife to (who is making a lot of scd foods for me).

Thanks

Btw- my appetite seems to be back to normal. Not sure why, maybe my palette and my perception of food has adapted enough.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

I think your tastes change and you begin to love/crave the foods you can have. At first, you just know that it isn't pizza or ice cream so you don't crave it.