• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

"Get Well Soon"

Is it just me, or does that well-wishing statement really tick you off too? Everytime someone tells my husband "I hope you get well soon!" I about want to bite their head off.

My husband has been in one big, long Crohn's flare-up for the past 2 years. He doesn't "get well", he just gets "less bad". It just ticks me off when people wish him "well". Thanks, but your wishes don't get us anywhere.

But, maybe I'm just PMSing.... :ymad:

I really understand your frustration. I was recently dx last year and I can tell you that it has changed how I look at other people and their illnesses. Before that I didn't know what to say nor did I understand the pain and suffering other people went through. I think that is the issue. For most people they've experienced only the temporary illness and have no idea the difficulties of living with a longterm one.

I have a difficult time with the fact that one one wants to even ask me how I'm doing. I don't know if Crohns is to weird to talk about and they rather I not bring it up.

Your husband is lucky to have such a supportive and loving spouse. Hang in there and don't let them get you down. Cheryl

I see anything akin to "get well soon" and "I'll pray for you" as mostly, well meaning, useless phrases, unless they are backed up by the person's actions.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
I understand what you mean. BUT the people that say that are doing what they have always done. Our Mom's and Dad's showed us that was the thing to say when someone isn't feeling well, they don't know any better. Try not to let it bother you. When someone ask me how I feel, I say "do you really what to know, it might take some time to tell you" and we both lol and I go my way. They really don't mean any harm, who knows, they might be adding you and your husband to there prayers at night, we don't know. I think the best thing to do is keep your head up and that makes everything better. I even feel better when I do that

I hope and pray everything gets better for you and your husband, I know what its like, I've not felt well for a few years but I am starting to get better now. Your husband will also, just don't give up.

Jim (Pops)